LegacyGT.com

BMW Sync's with the iPod

[quote name='Drift Monkey']2 words: AUX IN.[/quote] That's not the case with the BMW version. It works WITH the head unit. You can control the ipod from the head unit instead of trying to fiddle in your car with another device.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'][quote name='Drift Monkey']2 words: AUX IN.[/quote] That's not the case with the BMW version. It works WITH the head unit. You can control the ipod from the head unit instead of trying to fiddle in your car with another device.[/quote] In that case, I'll take my cheaper altenative.

That is a sweet setup! And on the Legacy there is that perfect sized storage bin where Navi would go for the iPod too! The one thing I am bumming about the new Leg is that there isn't any way to directly connect my 20G iPod...yet. Ken

Would be nice to have both USB2 and Firewire connects that would allow the stereo to read any MP3 audio player. :) I usually record them in 192k, so it's better than std though not necessarily WAV quality, it's plenty adequate for me. I think we need to write Subaru on this. I want something like this. If we could have the option of getting like a 5gig iPod and no CD, I'd be drooling. Don't need CD if you can have one of these. :mrgreen:

[quote name='SUBE555']Would be nice to have both USB2 and Firewire connects that would allow the stereo to read any MP3 audio player. :) I usually record them in 192k, so it's better than std though not necessarily WAV quality, it's plenty adequate for me. I think we need to write Subaru on this. I want something like this. If we could have the option of getting like a 5gig iPod and no CD, I'd be drooling. Don't need CD if you can have one of these. :mrgreen:[/quote] Definitely going to be something I consider when I upgrade my stereo. I have 3 Soundstream Class A Amps waiting to go into the car along with 4 pair of Boston Accoustic 5.4's. Just need to narrow down a head unit and perhaps a single sealed 10" sub and I am set. I don't want the system to intrude on any of my space or livability within the car.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Honetly, I have never been impressed with MP3 quality, but the convenienve of having hunderds of songs at your fingertips is an outstanding feature. I am beginning to gravitate towards a MP3 music solution.[/quote] Especially when mp3 technology is way outdated. Ogg Vorbis is much better and has better compression ratios. People are just used to the old cliche I guess.

Outdated doesn't always mean bad. Newer technology are harder to adopt for most people because of availability and cost. I think MP3s are still an outstanding solution to the 80% of drivers out there that want a large collection of music on hand and a very affordable price. Those 80% will not hear nor consider it important that their MP3s or their stereo system falls out at the top and bottom ranges. I'd rather spend the $ to create a good home stereo. I just don't see the need to compete with road/engine noise or drowning them out and hurting your ears at the same time. I just don't expect concert sound in my car so I'm happy with MP3s

[quote name='CombatCQB']I'd rather spend the $ to create a good home stereo. I just don't see the need to compete with road/engine noise or drowning them out and hurting your ears at the same time. I just don't expect concert sound in my car so I'm happy with MP3s[/quote] can't agree more!

This Space For Rent

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']Honetly, I have never been impressed with MP3 quality, but the convenienve of having hunderds of songs at your fingertips is an outstanding feature. I am beginning to gravitate towards a MP3 music solution.[/quote] Especially when mp3 technology is way outdated. Ogg Vorbis is much better and has better compression ratios. People are just used to the old cliche I guess.[/quote] It's true that Ogg is better, but I don't think it will take over until people go crazy with security/copyright measures with MP3. Zevil, sounds like you've got some nice equipment. :D 4 pairs of speakers though? That would be a b!tch to image right.

Yup, there are a lot of configurations that can work. The big amp (600 watts RMS) would power the sub. Then the two smaller amps will power either the right and left side of the car or the front and back side of the car, respectively. I will probably only use the two small amps since the thing would be waaaay to loud for my tastes now. Those components that I have are excellent though. I just don't want to clutter up my wagon with stereo gear.

Are the 4-ch amps more expensive? I might go that route just to save some space. As for the ipod link, the Leg is missing two important features to make that accessory worthwhile. It doesn't have on-wheel audio controls and it doesn't have a nice text display to show ipod data. But getting an aux in would be great.

I am so far out of the loop when it comes to stero equipment that I couldn't tell you about price. I do know that if you want serious power, it's more economical to use multiple amps than to get one monster. With the three amps I am going to use (maybe) I would be pushing about 1200 watts. I will probably not use all three as I am looking for quality and not loudness.

Often getting a single 4 channel can be cheaper than 2 separate amps, but it depends on the quality of the amps and the amount of power. A 4 channel amp will be fine for component speakers, though. My plan is to have a dedicated sub amp and dedicated speakers amp.

in my opinion, OGG ,theoretically speaking , should be better than MP3 in any level. however, under a "normal situation" and "normal set of speakers or earphones", a 256bit coded mp3 is enough (to me). further, i still think OGG is not flat enough, maybe due the player's problem. so, i will still stay with mp3 for sometime until OGG is becoming mature. further, i dont really think it's wise to spend money on getting an expensive audio set up in any cars, as there are too many disadvantages for listening "high quality" of sound in a car. Steve jobs, who is the CEO of Apple, always compare Windows as Toyota, and MAC as BMW. he said there always more toyota than bmw. in addition, both BMW and Apple share the same 5% of market share in their industry :P (although its not fair to compare ...) anyway, this kit seems to work pretty well on mini and BMW.

Kudos to Apple and BMW, and according to the Apple press release, they are looking to spread out to more automotive brands than just the bavarian motor works. Perhaps the seven stars... as a former iPod owner (dropped once too often, my own fault, now brain-fried. Saving for a 40GB now) I love this idea of controling your iPod with the factory head unit. fewer controls to mess with in the car, and no CDs to load or sort through. Will work in car, and everywhere else too, unlike "music keg" style stuff. and to my most salient point, with iTunes for Windows or Mac OS, you can encode your music from CDs to MP3, Variable Bitrate MP3, MP4 (what Apple calls AAC) and Apple's new Lossless codec (based on some sort of industry standard, I would have to look it up). Poor quality MP3s are not the only thing an iPod will play (will play full quality direct-from-CD tracks in AIFF format, as well), and with the capacity of the newest iPods, you'd be hard pressed to run out of music on your road trip, even with larger music file sizes. Just wish that the iPods had AM/FM/XM tuners... but that is off topic.

Archived