LegacyGT.com

Heading to snow for first time, need advice!

So I drive a 1995 Subaru Legacy Lsi wagon, I got on some 17" bridgestone potenza's M+S tires, pretty good all-seasons.

Haven't take my subie out to the snow yet so I wanted to get some input from more experienced subie owners who experience snow in their area frequently. I live in the bay area California so I don't see much snow action out here, but I am heading to Yosemite next week where there is a chain advisory until April 1st.

In my head, I didn't think my Subie couldn't handle it, but after checking the Yosemite website...

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm

seems as if I need to have chains handy, not necessarily put them on, but for requirement 3, I do need chains on whether or not my vehicle is awd or 4wd. That information contradicts my past experience with my friend's Subie, where the CHP just waved us past w/o chains on when we go snowboarding.

My car is lowered on some coils so right now there isn't room for chains. I suppose if I wanted to I could raise the height a bit and make room for chains, but then I worry about the chains hitting the struts, etc, not just wheel well clearance.

I don't know. I really don't want to get chains but at the same time don't want to find myself in a situation where I get stuck in snow or have to turn around and go home.

Heading out in a few days, so the more input I get, the better.

Thanks in advance.

• I Donated
I was able to handle my Legacy just fine in 6 inches of snow (fresh powder and packed down) on all season tires just fine. The biggest part of it is HOW YOU DRIVE in the snow

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

my blizacks got me though alot. i drove into the ditch once just to prove a point to my friend who owns a integra. thats before my lift too. just remember if you diffs are not liking you you can just give the brakes a tap to get the power going to the other wheel.

and if you ever have some under steering going on dont even think about touching the brakes. its better to let of the gas and steer. this is most important when you could slide over a 30 foot drop. like i almost have.

• I Donated
one of the biggest things that you need to keep in mind is that our cars are "all wheel DRIVE". Not "all wheel stop" lol. as soon as you touch your brake pedal, you lose any advantage that AWD gives you.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks for the tips.

It's like...the requirement level 3 off that link for Yosemite, they require snow chains, even on awd or 4wd, which sounds sketchy, but I'm sure that's just mainly for 99% of drivers who are pretty bad drivers to begin with.

Even if I get up there and my car is handling the snow fine, and I feel I don't need em, I'm afraid that the CHP will make me stop just to check that I have snow chains in possession. Honestly, I don't own a pair of snow chains, I don't plan on using em, and so I don't want to buy a pair. I'm worried I won't get let through if Yosemite is at that R3 level where they require all cars to have chains.

The all seasons I just slapped on there are very new...if I don't wanna fork money out for chains, I definitely am not going to buy snow tires for this trip. I have no idea what the current requirement level is at. I know there is snow but I don't think it's super crazy. I think I'm letting my paranoia get the best of me because a part of me is stubborn and knows my car can handle it...but the other part is wondering if I should just go ahead and raise my coils a bit and get some chains.

Anyone have specific experience with getting waved past CHP/rangers in snow conditions w/o chains? Like I said, I've only been waved through one time in my friend's 2002 wrx w/o snow chains...that's the extent of my snow experience.

My friend drives a stock height forester and even he picked up some chains so he's urging me to as well. I had a small debate with him telling him he won't need them, but like myself, he's worried about getting past the park rangers/CHP w/o chains, at least just to have them to have them, not necessarily install them.

I dunno. I'm undecided. I'm really stubborn and am thinking of just going up there, hope for the best, if I get asked to turn around, then so be it.

Great advice so far, keep em coming. Experience w or w/o chains in snow, getting past CHP/rangers...please share!

I'm heading out Tuesday evening.

I grew up in SD and now live near Buffalo NY. We get lots of snow and I've driven many winters with just AS tires on a FWD car. My last car sat low and u never got snow tires. With my legacy and extremewintercontact tires I've made through 12" without any issues. Just this last Wednesday I woke up to 8" and we got another 4 or so throughout the day. My 22 mile commute wasn't too bad.

The main thing to remember is to not do anything suddenly. You won't be able to start, turn or stop like you can on dry or even wet pavement.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Yeah there are a lot of different types of snow! It isn't all just the light and fluffy stuff.

I lived 15 miles from town and I had a road and driveway from hell and I made it out and back everyday with just siped all seaons. This past winter is the first time I've had snow tires.

chains so you dont get turned away wouldnt be a bad idea. but i'd say take it slow. avoid the brake pedal. as stated under steer is your enemy. if you have the wheel cranked and are plowing, straighten the wheel out and give those tires SOME chance to grip. most of all though, if the things my sister (also from the bay area) tells me about most California drivers in the rain are at all true, theyre gonna be a little scary in the snow. :lol: my biggest fear here is drivers that are going too fast/dont know their limits/are over-confident. staying away from them is the best advice i think i could give.

I would say Drive Slowwww!! I was up in tahoe last weekend with my outback and with m+s tires it's still setchy, I took hwy 50 up there and other than the traffic leaving me in a standstill, when I did have the open road i didnt go past 40 just because snow+ random patches of ice is super unpredictable.

Be safe when you go up and have fun!!

FYI CHP will close the freeway completely before requiring a subie to put on chains.

+1 to what westcoast said about random patches of ice. M&S tires are pretty good for handling snow, but not too great for ice. Drive slow and keep your distance between cars and you'll be fine.

You need to go to a winter driving school. Get in the car and drive nice and steady. That is all you need to do. 6 inches, hell i have been in 12 inches with the legy and been fine. If you need chains on a car then you don't need to be driving. Im gessing the chain law is for comersial vehicals only, not for cars.

Archived