LegacyGT.com

Mods - Blacked Out Grill

Just a long term update to this thread.

The Plasti-Dip is holding up amazingly well. No dents, dings or scratches to rubbery surface. With a quick bath it still looks as good as when I first did this. Now if only I could say that about the factory paint on the bumper! Freakin' rock chips! :rolleyes:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a long term update to this thread.

The Plasti-Dip is holding up amazingly well. No dents, dings or scratches to rubbery surface. With a quick bath it still looks as good as when I first did this. Now if only I could say that about the factory paint on the bumper! Freakin' rock chips! :rolleyes:

yeah, no frigging joke. I just washed it today and got some bug n tar stuff hoping most of the crud on the front number was bug guts....nope - paint chips.

You forgot step #1:

"you'll be working in very close proximity to the radiator and it's likely that you'll touch it - so wait for the car to cool down first after driving it 20 miles on a 98 degree day."

..I know, common sense, right?

That's debatable..

I had my grill painted to match the car when i had my bumper repainted, paint is holding up nicely, i also had my lower trim surrounds painted to match and the middle plastic piece in the bottom of the bumper matched as well.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/185129_613634105720_54905355_32798040_5148832_n.jpg

Slider - Looks great! Cool car man, cool car!

20Leggy10 - I'd be interested to see if the repaint lasts longer than the stupid thin factory paint. But the car looks really nice, get some springs and you'll be all set!

That would be one heck of a bucket of Plasti-Dip! :eek::lol:

Slider, we should get a group of 5th Gen Legacys together. evilO lives in Castle Rock and there are a few others in Denver. Maybe some sort of mid way gathering point and then a drive?

Slider,

Did you use the can version of plasti-dip or the bucket ?

Can. I found it at Lowes next to the spray paint. $5something. I bought two, but only needed one. I did four coats.

That would be one heck of a bucket of Plasti-Dip! :eek::lol:

Slider, we should get a group of 5th Gen Legacys together. evilO lives in Castle Rock and there are a few others in Denver. Maybe some sort of mid way gathering point and then a drive?

I'm probably game for that

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question for those that already plastidip the silver pieces. did you plastidip the black grill as well? I was thinking up close the plastidip and non plastidip portion may look a bit different so doing the black piece might be a good idea. opinions pu leazeee. thanks!

Chas- did you sand and paint over the chrome or remove it? I looked at the grillcraft page and it looks like if you remove the chrome the plastic isn't even (photo #11). I'm looking for a weekend project:) Thanks.

Naw, no sanding anything. Just make sure you clean all the chrome pieces very, very well. And then after you clean them, don't touch the to be painted surfaces again with your hands. The oil from your skin could cause the Plasti-Dip to not adhear as well. Also make sure you let the coats dry in between coats about a 1/2 hour. Make sure you reposition the chrome part so you can see it from all angles. There are many compound curves to these parts and it is very easy to miss the edges and those are the parts you are going to notice when you reassemble the grill.

I waited until the next day to let the parts cure fully before reassembly.

• 5 months later...

Archived