LegacyGT.com

Mods - Blacked Out Grill

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn! Once you clear off the paint and before you re-spray it, make sure that it is also very clean. It might have beed a bit of oil from your hands or maybe wax that caused it to peel off as well. But yes, let the paint/Plasti-Dip fully dry and cure. The can says it takes 4 hours before you can touch it and handle it, I let mine sit over night before I messed with it. With the cold weather that most of the nation is experiencing lately, paint products take longer to fully cure. Even after I had my grill re-installed I let the car face South and get baked in the sun for an afternoon. It actually got pretty warm being black and all. That helps a ton!

I'm not entirely sure, but there may be no way to not see a seam. There are some very complex curves and I don't think the vinyl can be streached that far to cover the curves of the outer grill ring and still stick. But then again, I don't do vinyl and never have. So maybe it is possible. You'll just have to find a shop or someone that will give it a try.

I know others here have done vinyl on other parts of the chrome trim and have been successful with it.

I'm not entirely sure, but there may be no way to not see a seam. There are some very complex curves and I don't think the vinyl can be streached that far to cover the curves of the outer grill ring and still stick. But then again, I don't do vinyl and never have. So maybe it is possible. You'll just have to find a shop or someone that will give it a try.

I know others here have done vinyl on other parts of the chrome trim and have been successful with it.

Thanks I'm going to try it out, I have some Vinyl lying around.. I'll give it a shot sometime soon and post results... WoW.. this weekend is going to be busy :eek:

-install speakers front rear and tweeters

-install int. leds

-install fogs

-install hids

-install sway bar

and now test vinyl on grill :spin:

Damn! Once you clear off the paint and before you re-spray it, make sure that it is also very clean. It might have beed a bit of oil from your hands or maybe wax that caused it to peel off as well. But yes, let the paint/Plasti-Dip fully dry and cure. The can says it takes 4 hours before you can touch it and handle it, I let mine sit over night before I messed with it. With the cold weather that most of the nation is experiencing lately, paint products take longer to fully cure. Even after I had my grill re-installed I let the car face South and get baked in the sun for an afternoon. It actually got pretty warm being black and all. That helps a ton!

Yeah, I let it sit for four hours then put it back in the housing. 99% sure that was my problem. I did use a Goof-Off wipe on it, but I can't remember if I toweled it off. I'm sure it was something I did, rather than the plastidip itself.

Goof-Off is an oil based product. You use oil to remove the glue. You should have washed it with simple hand soap and warm water and then wipe it down with a clean towel and try not to touch the surface to be painted.

Good luck the second time around!

I just used a can of flat black spray paint. I lightly coated it making sure not to globe it on too thick. I had to make several passes to get it all covered. It's not too hard, but you want to make sure you don't gum up the fins and make a blockage. Just lightly coating it. Be careful because the lower grill opening is just that, open and you can get spray paint on the actual colored parts of that opening. Keep a good multi purpose cleaner handy to wipe off the over spray, or you could tape it off.

Goof-Off is an oil based product. You use oil to remove the glue. You should have washed it with simple hand soap and warm water and then wipe it down with a clean towel and try not to touch the surface to be painted.

Good luck the second time around!

Yeah, I should have read the ingredients :redface: I was thinking "what pulls up wax the best" and nothing else. I'm going to get a can of spray on bedliner and test it out on my hardhat to see what kind of results I will get with that as an alternative, longer lasting paint. I'm not sure the texture will look remotely good on the car and I'm not sold on it being able to adhere too well to plastic without doing some sandpaper work to scuff it up a bit.

First was plasti-dip, I didn't let it cure + used goof off. When I put the trim back into the grill, a lip on the grill pulled the plastidip off of the trim.

And yeah, the bed liner stuff would be very rough and definitely require prep work which I'm not ready to dirty up the chrome trim yet to try it ou.

I had to hold myself back from wanting to put the grill back together and onto the car. I wanted to get it back on fast, but i also knew I'd F it up too. So I just left it off an extra half day or so. I even drove the car without a grill in place that morning.

Kind of like driving a early 70's American muscle car with out a hood on, people know you're a badass! ;)

2nd time around went a lot smoother, though I ended up using the entire rattlecan and some of the previous. Now if it continues sticking to the grill I'll be happy.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2nu7pc3.jpg

So much better looking, I even like the way the wheel flares look in that shot.

Can't stand the hideous chrome V

I'll second that.

I think I will leave the outer ring chrome, but paint the 'V'.

I'll probably sand/primer/paint mine.

If I were to do the entire grill then I would feel obligated to get rid of the rest of the chrome around the windows and my wife would kill me.

How about getting someone in your area to just cover it in a black vinyl? That's what ikonosin did with his White 3.6R and it looks great! I've been thinking about trying to find some and make an attempt at doing it myself.

I'll second that.

I think I will leave the outer ring chrome, but paint the 'V'.

If I were to do the entire grill then I would feel obligated to get rid of the rest of the chrome around the windows and my wife would kill me.

I showed my wife this thread and she says " I like the chrome, don't touch it"

Ironic, one of the few women that wants a manual, but she likes the chrome. Can't win them all.

There is an example of all three versions of painting the grill on the forums. I checked out all the pictures and made my mind up to do the whole thing.

In this thread you see the whole grill done. In the following thread you see just the "V" painted black in post #5:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-graphite-grey-metallic-thread-2010-153521.html

In post #14 here you can see the rim of the grill painted black and then the "V" left chrome:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/removal-grill-chrome-wingi-156064.html

This thread (you are reading now) has 2 examples of full black on a white and a blue leggy. Personally I think it looks the best on the white leggy. I have decided to do it to my car after seeing post #39 above. I want to look less pimp crunk in my grill, yo so I am doing the plasti-dip to the whole thing in case I want to return to stock some day.

-Rogue77`

I'm just here for the mods.

I think it'll look great on your car Rogue!

I almost just did the outer ring in black. Mostly because I was having a hard time removing the V part. Then I messed with it a bit more and the V "Popped" out. I was a bit surprised when it did that. I had been trying for a while.

In the end, I'm glad I did the whole grill, it looks great and I love it!

Post pictures if you do. Long term, I am definitely going that route for a more permanent solution. I used some Rustoleum bed liner stuff on my hardhat and the texture would look really bad on the grill. It would be an excellent look for a 4x4, though.

I just used a can of flat black spray paint. I lightly coated it making sure not to globe it on too thick. I had to make several passes to get it all covered. It's not too hard, but you want to make sure you don't gum up the fins and make a blockage. Just lightly coating it. Be careful because the lower grill opening is just that, open and you can get spray paint on the actual colored parts of that opening. Keep a good multi purpose cleaner handy to wipe off the over spray, or you could tape it off.

Thanks!

Any pictures of where you painted it would be appreciated too :)

Archived