LegacyGT.com

My legacy isn't a GT- yet. Any advice?

WANNA-BE-GT-05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't listen to any of these guys OP. It's actually quite easy to do.

1) Buy the VF40 turbo. Used is a better bet. If you're buying new, I recommend a VF52. They are plug and play but spool better. You can get one from plenty of vendors on here.

2) Between the intake box and throttle body, cut a 12" gap. Insert the turbo here. Zip ties are more than sufficient to hold that sucker in place.

3) After that, turn the key to POWER ON, three times, until you hear the beep. The car's ECU is now ready for a command. At that point, lean down towards the passenger side of the dash and whisper "woosh." Your car is now ready for turbo powah.

scratch all the mods you listed, all you need is this !!!

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/large/8r3doaxza2vy7oqmuim1ke2mh7c3pvvnenuk.jpg

Are those network cables??

OP-I am sure you can see the overall sentiment of this thread would be to save yourself the money/headaches and just keep what you have for now.

Don't listen to any of these guys OP. It's actually quite easy to do.

1) Buy the VF40 turbo. Used is a better bet. If you're buying new, I recommend a VF52. They are plug and play but spool better. You can get one from plenty of vendors on here.

2) Between the intake box and throttle body, cut a 12" gap. Insert the turbo here. Zip ties are more than sufficient to hold that sucker in place.

3) After that, turn the key to POWER ON, three times, until you hear the beep. The car's ECU is now ready for a command. At that point, lean down towards the passenger side of the dash and whisper "woosh." Your car is now ready for turbo powah.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/madjik_man/Funny%20Animated%20Gifs/kevthumb.gif

hahahaha such an amusing thread.

ruskibear's post in particular cracked me up good.

OP, have you taken the time reading the FAQ that i wrote up in regards to the mods available for the 2.5i in the normally aspirated section? it would be a good place to start and gather some more information.

You guys are making this way harder than it needs to be.

Step one, install this into your intake tube:

http://www.mazdamaniac.com/ebayfake_files/TURBO.jpg

Step two, plug it into a power supply

Step three, fasten your seat belt!!!

Nice!

My family truckster will now go from a stage -2 to atleast a stage 0!

Thanks!

Since when do people who mod their car in this fashion wear seat belts? :confused:

i feel bad for the OP he disappeared. you guys legitimately scared him off. i jus hope he realizes that everyone here is right when they say its retarded to try. it jus is not worth the money or the work. you could easily mod a gt with the extra money. turbo a beetle or a 240 or something cheap instead of trying to turbo something with sophistication when theres already a turbo'd model out.

Serious question here.... Obviously the "trade and buy a GS" is the easiest and (on the surface) least expensive way to go but what about a couple of other factors. Let's say the AVO kit costs $3200..

1. Later model GT's aren't exactly easy to find (08, 09) and when they do they are at least 3k or more than a 2.5i which are readily found (at least here in the mid-west)

2. Insurance costs. If the OP is a Male 20something then there may be a significant insurance difference insuring a 2.5i vs. GT Turbo. The diff could be hundreds of $$'s per year. Would buying a 2.5i and putting the AVO kit in it still be insured as a 2.5i? Seriously, I don't know, I'm asking. If so, all of a sudden, the AVO kit looks like it could earn it's price back over the years in insurance costs alone.

not advocating or looking at doing anything like this myself, I'm genuinely curious about the insurance implications of turboing a non-turbo car like the 2.5i.

By that rationale, a 2.5i buyer would realistically have to own the car with the aftermarket AVO kit installed for 10 years.

my insurance is 120 per month. a 2.5i would be about 80 bucks a month. 460 savings per year.

Having a garage install this thing and getting it tuned and working right would be 8-10 hours I'm figuring... needs to be considered in the price of that kit.

And what does the AVO kit gain a 2.5i driver? 80hp gain would be a 50% increase in power, but that would only get an N/A Legacy to stock LGT power levels.

It ain't worth it... not considering a 2005 LGT with less than $1000.00 in go-fast parts will get you a safe 280+HP (and a shit-load of TQ), which you could run for years and years... like I have.

Serious question here.... Obviously the "trade and buy a GS" is the easiest and (on the surface) least expensive way to go but what about a couple of other factors. Let's say the AVO kit costs $3200..

1. Later model GT's aren't exactly easy to find (08, 09) and when they do they are at least 3k or more than a 2.5i which are readily found (at least here in the mid-west)

2. Insurance costs. If the OP is a Male 20something then there may be a significant insurance difference insuring a 2.5i vs. GT Turbo. The diff could be hundreds of $$'s per year. Would buying a 2.5i and putting the AVO kit in it still be insured as a 2.5i? Seriously, I don't know, I'm asking. If so, all of a sudden, the AVO kit looks like it could earn it's price back over the years in insurance costs alone.

not advocating or looking at doing anything like this myself, I'm genuinely curious about the insurance implications of turboing a non-turbo car like the 2.5i.

They have a special section for modified car.. if your insurance doesnt have one, dont assume they will insure u. Once u have an accident and find out u have a modified (not as described as in the contract), they won't pay u a dime.. This is from my past experience.

I went to a GT from an impreza 2.5i and leg 2.5i, I do know the pain, understand the enviness whenever I saw a real GT, but it's not worth it to buy the 2.5i and upgrade it or even the 2.5i itself at the first place if u dont seriously need the AWD system (I live in Boston)

I rather get myself a real GT and let all the 2.5i envy :redface:

Good luck modifying..

BTW, its 4pm, this thread has really made my day:lol:

Archived