LegacyGT.com

I need a no shit opinion on how bad this is..video included..help.

IDRVSLO

Coolant, oil and trans fluid all are clean looking and topped off. Can the heads be pulled when the motor is still in the car....or can I access the valves. Like I said, really new to these cars(boxer engine to be exact)

When you say clean oil, did you change the oil??, or just check the dip stick. It sounds like a main or rod bearing to me, at least on my cheap speaker.

If you change the oil and find a lot of metal flakes in it, you have the answer.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I didn't know you could drive an automatic incorrectly.

Second, with that out of the way, timing sounds good. You can hear when one of the cams is off. At high rpm, oil pressure shouldn't have been a problem, so I imagine the rod bearings are ok.

It actually sounds like a broken valve spring on the intake side. If i were you, I'd yank the engine, pull the passenger side head, and inspect.

Worst case scenario is a broken retainer. That would let the valve drop and smack into the piston. It's possible there has already been contact, but this is the difference between just replacing a piston, vs. replacing the whole block.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Mine started out that way but it soon got worse as I let it idle while logging. As far as I'm concerned it's toast.

If it does turn out to be just a valve the new owner got one hell of a deal for a new car. We won't know for sure until he pulls the engine for repair.

When you say clean oil, did you change the oil??, or just check the dip stick. It sounds like a main or rod bearing to me, at least on my cheap speaker.

If you change the oil and find a lot of metal flakes in it, you have the answer.

+1 on the rod bearing, especially driven at redline for 8 miles... no amount of track abuse could equal that abuse, what rpm does first run at while going those speeds (45mph)? Was she bouncing off the rev limiter?

The fact that the OP feels that this is something that he could fix himself, but yet hasn't got an idea what the problem is speaks volumes.

This thread might as well be locked up now, 'cos it's not going anywhere good that's for sure.

Let's try not to make this NASIOC, as fun as that may be... I think most everyone would post a video and ask for opinions before getting to work, I know I would, and I feel confident in my abilities for the most part... The situation is an unusual one, funny if it weren't so sad...

First, I didn't know you could drive an automatic incorrectly.

Simple, she must have pull the lever past D, into Sport, then down into -. That would put it into first gear. The 05's if shifted into manual, will not upshift at redline. How she didn't notice the fuel cutoff and the violent jerking while bouncing off the rev limiter is another mystery.

Most people usually end up putting the car into Sport mode since that position is next to the D mark.

I came here to post a video in order to see if anyone in the last five years has had this very specific noise come from their engine. I do not have the knowledge to tear a motor down and rebuild it. I do know how to pull engines out and put new engines in. I just am trying to figure out the route I want to go before I started the diagnosis. BTW I just moved to PA three weeks ago. I lived in WA State up until now and would feel much better about the local shops out there. I have no clue who I want to bring it to right now so that is why I am just taking my time. Also I really have no idea how she didnt realize it. I have done my best to not be upset about it. She knew something was wrong when she called me and knew that it was her doing. She is the furthest from car savy that you can be. I forgive her, but it wasnt my intent to turn this thread into a bash my wife session. Thanks for the good input guys.
[

+1 on the rod bearing, especially driven at redline for 8 miles... no amount of track abuse could equal that abuse, what rpm does first run at while going those speeds (45mph)? Was she bouncing off the rev limiter?

And are you sure it would be 'bouncing'? I seem to remember that the rev-limiter in stock tune is 'soft'. So it could've just stabilized at some high rpm and not be jerky at all.

And are you sure it would be 'bouncing'? I seem to remember that the rev-limiter in stock tune is 'soft'. So it could've just stabilized at some high rpm and not be jerky at all.

The rev limiter is violent, when you hit it for the first time, you think "what the **** was that" then you realize what you did.

I came here to post a video in order to see if anyone in the last five years has had this very specific noise come from their engine. I do not have the knowledge to tear a motor down and rebuild it. I do know how to pull engines out and put new engines in. I just am trying to figure out the route I want to go before I started the diagnosis. BTW I just moved to PA three weeks ago. I lived in WA State up until now and would feel much better about the local shops out there. I have no clue who I want to bring it to right now so that is why I am just taking my time. Also I really have no idea how she didnt realize it. I have done my best to not be upset about it. She knew something was wrong when she called me and knew that it was her doing. She is the furthest from car savy that you can be. I forgive her, but it wasnt my intent to turn this thread into a bash my wife session. Thanks for the good input guys.

That's a good idea from a marriage perspective... I have a feeling my wife was the ultimate demise of my stock clutch, although I didn't help... Nothing you can do now, but deal with what happened and see what you can fix. You can't change it, and dwelling on it will only make it hell in the house...

Like others said, check all fluids, do a compression test, possibly pull the pan... It sounds like a rod bearing to me, but it could easily be valve related... do you know if it overheated in those 8 miles in 1st gear? My guess is it may have... If nothing is obvious I think I'd pull the motor anyway given what happened...

Pulling the heads is easiest with the motor out, I can't imagine doing it on the car, and pulling the motor is not that tough on these cars... if you've done it on other cars, this will be a breeze, except separating the tranny and the engine, rao will tell you to get under there and bear hug it...

The rev limiter is violent, when you hit it for the first time, you think "what the **** was that" then you realize what you did.

That's a hard limiter, that cuts fuel. I don't have an 05 stock map handy at the moment, but on my stock map that limit is set at 6750, while requested torque drops like crazy at 6500rpm. End result: if I floor it in 1st gear - it will just stop accelerating around 6500-6600, and not experience that violent fuel-cut thingy at all.

I dont know what the rev limiter feels like on this car so I cannot comment. On my Mazdaspeed3 if felt like it was a stutter....didnt jerk too bad. But fuel cut is scary. For those of you that think I would lie about this is just retarded. I have blown a motor in a Mazdaspeed3, bad tune or weak rods....and an Acura Integra...way to big of turbo and not enough fuel. So to think I would just make up a story makes you look retarded....not me.
[

• Mega Users

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U21absMKFwQ]YouTube - 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Blown Motor[/ame]

This is a video of my car on the side of the road after it became undriveable.

Once I got it home I started it again. The high pitched sound was less prevalent

and went to more of a tapping sound like yours.

Diagnosis: Spun Rod Bearing

Good luck with your repair. I'm leaning toward selling mine

• 2 weeks later...
YouTube - 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Blown Motor

This is a video of my car on the side of the road after it became undriveable.

Once I got it home I started it again. The high pitched sound was less prevalent

and went to more of a tapping sound like yours.

Diagnosis: Spun Rod Bearing

Good luck with your repair. I'm leaning toward selling mine

Same thing happened to my car on February 6th, Sunday night. I was driving from Pa to NY; I got maybe 30 minutes from my house and went to downshift, the car died on the highway. Luckily, I was able to cruise to the shoulder. The car would not start. I had my wife and baby in the car. Thank goodness my father came and drove them home while I waited for the tow truch.

Next day; when I started the car, it sounded exactly like that with the squeaking and the knock.

TO OP; what did you decide on doing? sorry to high-jack your thread.

History on my car; I bought the car brand new and at ~40k, turbo blew. Turbo got replaced under warranty. When I went to pick up the car, the car did not seem normal. I then took it straight back to the dealership. They checked it out and said that the motor need to be rebuilt because there were metal particle in the oil and may have worn the bearings and such; got it rebuild and 20K later, this happens.

The car is flashed stage 1 with EL headers and up-pipe, Megan coilovers and upgraded front and rear sways.

I'm planning on putting the stock headers on and flashing to stock maps, then bringing the car to the dealership because the rebuilt it 20K miles ago.

A week before this happened, the oil level was low so I decided to add oil to bring it back to normal. I was not beating the car recently.

Archived