LegacyGT.com

I need a no shit opinion on how bad this is..video included..help.

IDRVSLO

Okay so here is the run down on what happened. I let my wife drive my car for the first time ever yesterday. It is an automatic, I got this so she could drive it because she cant drive a stick. My wife is extremely smart so please refrain from the negative comments towards her, this is bad enough and I would appreciate some respect. She messed up and she knows it....shit happens and we move on.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CxphzFVKI]YouTube - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Blown Motor?[/ame]

Events

-Car was driven in 1...not D for up to 8 miles at speeds up to 40-45.

-I was then called with the "why is your car so loud" question

-Told her it was just the exhaust(how would I have known)

-She continued to drive the car for up to 35 miles but at this point realized the acceleration issues had been due to the choice of gears. Meaning it was in Drive after the original 8 miles.

-The sound got louder until she got home

-I went out to the car and started it up and to my surprise she was right...my car was loud. Well no shit she broke something, of course it was loud.

-Took video and here I am.

I have done motor swaps on Mazdaspeed3s(they pop all the time) and on Hondas so I am good with my hands and tools. I just bought this car back in November and have not had a single problem with it. It is stock minus the cut airbox, suspension and exhaust.

Stats on the car

-05 LGT

-5EAT....never again, manuals from here on out...then she really cant break it

I am led to believe based on the sound that its a bent or broken valve. If this is it what are my options for these cars? I looked for a comprehensive build or swap guide but couldnt find one. What motors work, direct swap? Does anyone have a good link to pictures or instructions on pulling the motor? Any help would be appreciated!

Scott G

Any local PA guys want to help, I have a garage....some tools.....yay.

[

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to do some more diagnostics before you will know what is wrong.

It does sound like a top end problem so the block might be just fine. You might also get lucky and find that it is something minor. Check the oil, coolant, transmission fluid, etc and see if you can figure out what it is.

Just about any Subaru 2.5 turbo engine and heads will interchange (Forester XT, Legacy GT, Outback XT, STI, 06+ WRX)

Coolant, oil and trans fluid all are clean looking and topped off. Can the heads be pulled when the motor is still in the car....or can I access the valves. Like I said, really new to these cars(boxer engine to be exact)
[

Do what RAO suggested, and check everything first. Driving around in 1st gear at near red line for 8 miles could very well have burned off a lot of oil, coolant, and transmission fluid. At a minimum you will want to change the oil and tranny fluid.

As for the top end noise, well it could be a bent valve. If it is you'll have to get it checked out for collateral damage to the rest of the cylinder head, and the piston if there is hard contact.

Pulling the heads with the engine still in the car will be really tough with a horizontally opposed engine. You're better off pulling it if you have the capability. Otherwise a trip to a mechanic you trust is in your future.

Don't see why it would bend a valve just due to 1st gear driving. Could've jumped timing, but that still shouldn't result in bent valves. Worth a check (timing) though.

Honestly here's what worries me: " I just bought this car back in November "

Too many of these cars end up being sold right after they blow a turbo. Sure, there's a new turbo, but the block is damaged. So I would do lots of diagnostics. Oil pressure check, leak-down, compression.

That may just be the straw that broke the camel's back. Hate to sound cliche, but any history on the vehicle may reveal a little more here. To me, it sounds like the problem is in the valvetrain, but I'm no mechanic. You sound like you're pretty capable so time to get dirty.

but surely there has to be damage to a car when driven at redline for 8 miles....

Ever took any of your cars to track? Sure, it's stressful to the engine, but not to the point of going from perfectly healthy to a knocking engine right away.

I believe you got your smart responses in the first 10 posts. Now all you need to do is take the engine apart and see what got messed up.

Generally when someone, specially a n00b, posts something along the lines of "don't judge, wife" in the first post it is good bait for wife pics.

X

---

Thanks for the suggestion, I did and I am getting productive response and none regarding my wife. I love the internet...a n00b....yes you are so right, I dont know much about this car and I havent spent my life on these forums...so yes I am a n00b.
[

It is true that hipster was born on this forum, sadly he dodged all my best attempts with the coat hanger.

Sorry to say IDRVSLO that we can't diagnose your cars trouble adequately from the internet and a video. Your best bet would be to find a certified mechanic, preferably one familiar with Subarus and have him/her look at it. Even if you don't have them make the repair at the very least you can probably get a better idea of what the problem is so you know what they next step will be.

I know that is not what you want to hear, and we all hate the bad news that we have an out of warranty vehicle that needs to go to the $hop. Despite not wanting to hear it; unless you have quite a bit of knowledge and plenty of tools to include measuring tools for run out, and other specialty measuring devices you probably should not do this yourself.

Yeah I understand, thanks Penguin. I was hoping someone would have had a similar sound occur. Seems that some have. I will drain the oil and check that. I have ability to swap motors....unbolt and throw in the new one. I will do what I can to diagnose it.
[

Now that I have given you all the mechanical advice that I can, maybe I can help you with some more advice that may prevent this problem in the future. The following is a very useful checklist you can use to avoid damaged machinery, I even filled it out for your wife.

How to determine if someone is an idiot around machinery (check all boxes that apply):

1.) Does this person have a vagina?

No [ ] Go to question two.

Yes [X] This person is biologically prone to messing up or otherwise damaging any mechanical device. Humans with a vagina can not be trusted to operate any machinery more complex than a stove, dishwasher, microwave, can opener, or washing machine without direct supervision. Do not under any circumstances let them operate automobiles, heavy machinery, light or heavy aircraft, watercraft, or lawn care equipment.

2.) Does this person have any training on the machinery to be used?

No [ ] Train this individual as much as possible to include classroom training, instruction manuals, and close supervision of first hand operation until proficiency is reached.

Yes [X] Ensure that training standards are appropriate and go over any new/changed features with operator to ensure proper machinery operation. Please note that if the operator has a vagina no amount of training prior to or during operation of machinery can be expected to produce positive long term results in the independent operation of machinery.

Not trying to be demeaning, just trying to make you have a good laugh there OP.

Wow bosco yet another person that is here to mock my problem.....and from a well established moderator....thanks.

I don't see how my statement is mocking anything all i asked was is this thread a joke.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived