LegacyGT.com

Maintain, or move on?

Hey gang. Help me out, please?

My ride... An 05 non-limited, 5mt, LGT wagon that is serving me unbelievably well!

I'm at 64k miles with nary an issue but for a fuel injector (which I have since taken care of).

I've kept up with all maintenance including the recent 60k. Oil changes faithfully every 3700 miles.

However, my car needs a heck of a lot of work both now and in the not too distant future. You know, the usual suspects plus perhaps a few preventative pieces including turbo, clutch, intercooler or, or, or. Add to everything, I now need tires and brakes.

I bought the car already modded. The previous owner babied it, and so do I.

94 octance only. Rare drives less than 30 minutes in duration. No launches....ever!

A few mods---AccessPort, Stg. II, rear sway, engine mounted sway bar, catted down +up, plus a few other goodies incl. sunroof, ipod jack, tinted windows.

My question? Do I trade up to something else, or get it it all done?

I'm really liking this...http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...153823322.html Lol, I know...pa-lenty of expensive headaches. :lol: Maybe buddy has kept up on it, maintenance-wise.

But I would appreciate comments on it all the same.

I quite enjoy my own car, don't get me wrong. It didn't even have the dashboard rattle! Presently no clutch slip, nor cracked intercooler corners. Turbo? Fine! Oil consumption? Pretty mellow.

I dunno. Reading the many threads re failed turbos and early clutch wear (amongst others) has me a bit spooked.

One big issue....I'm not too versed in the mechanics of my car, so that means I have others do all of the work. But I'm learning. Anyway.

Thanks in advance!

You've got yourself an low mileage rare 5mt wagon! Keep it.

Intercooler don't really go bad, unless you put alot of boost

Brake pads are dirt cheap

Your "entire worry" can be done for about $3k or so.

Plus, if you get the BNR 16G, I'm pretty sure you'll love it!

audi's are pretty expensive on maintenance compared to a subaru aswell

+1. I've had brief affairs with two Audis, and both put "Subaru Problems" into perspective. You wouldn't believe the crap that would go wrong with those cars, or the cost to fix them. S4 isn't a big upgrade to a decently-modified Subaru, though Audi-fans will disagree.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

So you are going to get rid of a Subaru with 65k miles to buy an Audi with 45k miles? And you'll probably have to put up $20k in cash!

I think you should go see a doctor...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I dunno. Reading the many threads re failed turbos and early clutch wear (amongst others) has me a bit spooked.

And the biggy? I'm not too versed in the mechanics of my car, so that means I have mechanics do all of the work. But I'm learning. Anyway.

Thanks in advance!

As you have read, Subarus are notorious for being built out of poor quality materials and having lots of mechanical problems.

All that "work" is mostly preventative maintenance...comes with owning a vehicle. If you've already done the 60K service, you're good until 90K, then 100-105K for belts. The turbo and ic will be fine...unless you drive it hard on a daily basis. What kind of boost you hitting on a daily basis? Keep it uHonestly, unless you got large amounts of expendable income, I'd stick with the lgt wagon...

My vote is for maintaining your LGT Wagon. Sounds like all you only really need right now are brakes and tires.

Used Audis have really low resale values after they hit 100k.

If can afford to maintain a used Audi, you can afford payments on a new one.

The LGT is faster than an A4, but a stock A4s does handle better.

An Audi dealer charges $1200 to replace an alternator. :eek:

My vote is for maintaining your LGT Wagon

I only had my legacy for a short time. I researched both vehicles. And mod wise they are costly as well, turbo upgrade 6k. A well know audi tuner told me you will spend $3k every 15k-20k mi. At that point i had heard enough. A modded subaru is daddy's little girl. A audi is a full blown super model.. expect 15 mpg on a good tank in a s4.

blah blah blah

It didn't even have the dashboard rattle!

blah blah blah

I hate you

Welcome to the site! lol

I say keep it and do the maintenance and keep a happy car

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

My ride... An 05 non-limited, 5mt, LGT wagon that is serving me unbelievably well!

I'm at 64k miles with nary an issue but for a fuel injector (which I have since taken care of).

I just *bought* a LGT 5MT wagon with 65K on the odo, and plan on keeping it for at least 4 years. Where's the love?!

Archived