LegacyGT.com

Fix Report: Gas Smell (Again) & Whine at Start Up

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a picture of my lock wire fix. Sorry I didn't post it sooner, Been in VT skiing all weekend.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4579.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4581.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So who was the idiot at the factory the figured out to pre-assemble the hose on tube on the bench with the clamp upside down when installed on the engine ?

Stupid Subaru...!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished fixing this leak. What a PITA, took me all afternoon. I decided to change the hose and clamps. The hose is 5/16" ID. To gain access to the hose, I unbolted (but did not disconnect) the alternator, and the AC compressor bracket (four 14mm bolts) and moved them aside, which helped immensely. I disconnected the battery first, of course. However ,those 4 bolts had loctite on them, and they did not want to thread back in nicely, so I had to use them tap and die set to clean up the bolts and holes.

With everything back together, it doesn't leak, so that's good.

BUT, the check engine light is on, and "Cruise" is blinking. (I assume the cruise is just because there's a code). I did have the battery disconnected for a couple of hours. Is this the reason, or did I break something else? :mad:

Pull the battery cable again, for about 15 minutes. That should clear the code. Start the car and see if its still there. if it is, go to the auto parts store and have them read the code.

But make sure you check to be sure you didn't leave somethng off.

• 2 years later...
I'm not sure how to post a new thread but on a cold start up I get the whinning sound that sounds like the crank shaft pulley witch I have previously replaced and now I'm getting the raw fuel smell in my car any ideas? Power steering gets choppy with the winning and it's doing it more frequently.

I'm not sure how to post a new thread but on a cold start up I get the whinning sound that sounds like the crank shaft pulley witch I have previously replaced and now I'm getting the raw fuel smell in my car any ideas? Power steering gets choppy with the winning and it's doing it more frequently.

The whining and the power steering loss could just be the cold, making the belt slip. Check the belt, tighten it or spray some belt grip stuff on there. Prestone or somebody makes a can to spray on that quiets squeaking belts.

To (finally) follow up from my leak posts, the gas leak under the manifold is gone, but apparently I touched the Throttle Position Sensor on the Tumble Generator Valve on the driver's side, that was what the code was for. It must have shorted, or something, there was barely a scratch on it, but replacing it cured the code. So, less than $5 for some hose and clamps to fix the leak, $70 for a new sensor. booo.

i had the "pulley whine" today. it took 1/2 hr before it went away. but I was already headed towards my mechanic to get it checked out. 2 blocks from his shop it went away. they checked it anyways. it was fine.

did have a small leak in the power steering pump. really small though. no need to do anything about it right now.

also had the raw gas smell in the compartment. it too went away as I drove the car.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

i had the "pulley whine" today. it took 1/2 hr before it went away. but I was already headed towards my mechanic to get it checked out. 2 blocks from his shop it went away. they checked it anyways. it was fine.

did have a small leak in the power steering pump. really small though. no need to do anything about it right now.

also had the raw gas smell in the compartment. it too went away as I drove the car.

Lines and seep fuel under extreme cold. There was a recall for select states.

Lines and seep fuel under extreme cold. There was a recall for select states.

hmmmmm I don't remember seeing one for Md.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

You should read the thread you posted in, it has the answers.

If I have to deal with that ****ed up crossed up through the manifold fuel system again, I'm going to get some aftermarket fuel rails and reroute everything around the manifold and add a fuel filter as well.

its was -30f to -40f for 5 nights so far this winter, i have 01 and 05 OBWs on the road and they both do it. Tightened the clamps and it made a huge difference.

Another cold weather tip, amsoil atf works wonders... noticeable difference in your power steering

Archived