LegacyGT.com

F It's Cold!!!!

SlickSpur

This is brutal! It says Springfield is -19 without wind chill.

Anyone else second guessing using 5w30? I'm considering an emergency oil change if it wasn't so cold!

TPMS kicked on too, as expected. What do you guys keep the pressure at to keep that from coming on in the cold?

Also, anyone else's emergency brake frozen? It sticks when I try pulling it up and I'm nervous to leave it up in case it will freeze/stick like that.

Start your car and let it idle for a while, 5w30 should be just fine.

My TPMS comes on all the time so I ignore it. But I typically set my pressures to 35 when cold, cold happened to be around 40-50* when I set them last.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_chart.jpg

If its below -30 then worry about using 0w30.

Start your car and let it idle for a while, 5w30 should be just fine.

My TPMS comes on all the time so I ignore it. But I typically set my pressures to 35 when cold, cold happened to be around 40-50* when I set them last.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_chart.jpg

If its below -30 then worry about using 0w30.

Thanks, I didn't realize 5w30 was rated that low. I'll just let it warm up, like you say, like I did this morning.

The only trouble I have with that is I can't let it idle if I'm in my driveway because of the e-brake problem I'm having. If I don't park in the garage, then I can't really let it sit.

You might want to inspect the lines on the ebrake, or the ebrake itself to make sure nothing is binding. I haven't had the issue you described and I know my e-brake is at the edge of its adjustment... I have to pull quite hight to get it to engage.

Man my GT made more grinding, scraping, squeeling, shaking, and crunching sounds than I have ever heard in a car! Ha Ha It was cold.

I made it about 300 feet down the road and realized I couldn't shift either.

They made be built for the snow but they sure don't like the cold.:lol:

1st gear is always a b***h in the cold... but even 2nd wasn't happy this morning. Was right around 0 when I left my house in RI this morning. And definitely alot of creaks and groans... car was not happy about the cold.

Hoping for more snow and wind though! Snowkiting all winter hopefully.

Fixed the ebrake issue. Apparently something was snagged, I just pulled a little harder than normal and it "clicked" past the spot it was stuck at. Works fine now.

Snowfalling this morning but it seemed alot less upset at me than the day before. I didn't look at the temp but I'm guessing it's a bit warmer than yesterday. I also let the car heat up for about 10 minutes.

What do you guys do in the event you're out somewhere and it's this cold? Do you sit in the car for 5-10 min and let it warm up? I've been trying to stay in until the blue light goes off, but last night I was following a few cars somewhere and didn't have the time. Or do you guys just not bother?

No need to wait till the blue light is off, but just give it a min or so to get the oil moving around. I only let the car run for about 5 min this AM... I backed it out of the garage loaded up some stuff for work and grabbed some beretta parts and then left.

If you dont have time to wait then just be easy on it at first and not push the boost.

My car was happier this AM too, but I got the garage last night since I was having idle issues and had to look into it... Now the wifes car is acting funny so she is back in tonight and I'll have to look that one over.

Fixed the ebrake issue. Apparently something was snagged, I just pulled a little harder than normal and it "clicked" past the spot it was stuck at. Works fine now.

Snowfalling this morning but it seemed alot less upset at me than the day before. I didn't look at the temp but I'm guessing it's a bit warmer than yesterday. I also let the car heat up for about 10 minutes.

What do you guys do in the event you're out somewhere and it's this cold? Do you sit in the car for 5-10 min and let it warm up? I've been trying to stay in until the blue light goes off, but last night I was following a few cars somewhere and didn't have the time. Or do you guys just not bother?

Remote car starter.

habitual derail-er

No need to wait till the blue light is off, but just give it a min or so to get the oil moving around. I only let the car run for about 5 min this AM... I backed it out of the garage loaded up some stuff for work and grabbed some beretta parts and then left.

If you dont have time to wait then just be easy on it at first and not push the boost.

My car was happier this AM too, but I got the garage last night since I was having idle issues and had to look into it... Now the wifes car is acting funny so she is back in tonight and I'll have to look that one over.

Garage spots are great. The frustrating thing is my garage door had a spring or cable snap, and I couldn't get the door open last night to pull it in! Have to take a look at it this weekend.

You guys with remote starters are lucky. I don't think it would be a good idea with my manual tran. I've heard they can do it, but I'd be too nervous about leaving it in gear when I park.

^^ No worries on the manual transmission with a remote start. I have one in my GT and Outback which are both 5-speeds.

Whats important is to install one that is manual tranny specific. It will not let you leave it in gear nor will it start if you try. If you install a remote start designed for an automatic...your asking for trouble.

Windchill doesn't affect your car ;)

Yes I know that, Didn't think my comment was going to be disected to closely. haha

It was -37oC and -45oC with the windchill.

Car still sounded rough.

PhilT you must be subjected to that kind of temp. Ive been to dorval recently and it was nippy. Also Tremblant a few times but thats a little north.

And yes I speak french quite well like most northern ontarien's. Quebecers cant even tell. haha.

Are you on MSC forum?

I spend alot of time on The Weather Network, easy to find historical temperatures there. ;)

It's cold, but not extreme here. We had one night last week where it went down to -35 without the windchill, otherwise it's not been a bad winter so far.

Yes I am on the MSC forum, but don't spend much time there as my French is terrible, I only just moved here from Hamilton last year.

Archived