LegacyGT.com

Want to turbo my legacy, questions.

Is there any writeups or part lists out there on the web? Ive been searching and cannot find anything im looking for. If not does anyone know exactly what i will need to turbo my car? Its a 99 L 30th anniversary, sohc. And another question i have what will i have to do about my ecu??

Thanks in advance for the help.

My plan as of 2/14/11

Vf11 - pending

Walboro 255 - Bought with, wrx scoop, and wrx pump for $100 shipped

Wrx top fed light blue injectors - Bought for $65 shipped

Egay fmic and pipeing

Idk what bov i want yet.

Unsure what Fpr im going to run

And unsure if im going to just run a safc or try and get true engine managment

Custom uppipe & downpipe

Misc:

Unknown Coolant and Oil lines

Gasket kit ( were can i get this??)

Boost guage

Boost controller

And maybe Wideband a/f

And a turbo timer unsure which..

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any writeups or part lists out there on the web? Ive been searching and cannot find anything im looking for. If not does anyone know exactly what i will need to turbo my car? Its a 99 L 30th anniversary, sohc. And another question i have what will i have to do about my ecu??

Thanks in advance for the help.

99 L 30th Anniversaries are SOHC 22Es (Phase 2 EJ22E). They are single port heads. I don't know of any turbo kits available for the single ports. You can fabricate your own turbo kit but to do it 'properly', those heads must be swapped out for dual port heads (heads don't have to be dual cam but it's preferred since some DOHC heads are already prepped for turbo from the factory). Use WRX, STi, or 22T oil & water pumps since they're designed for a turbo engine.

Search Google for 'EJ22E DOHC Turbo' & you'll find people discussing about it.

There overpriced anyways.. Wheather you could utilize all the parts or not. There isn't much to it. You would need to find a local hose shop probably, I bougt a majority of my stuff online, but spend about 100$ on random clamps/hoses/ss tubing/...

I have a 02 wrx intercooler with the stock bov. If I was to do it again I would buy a smaller one :)

(I've been told you don't really need an intercooler if your under like 6psi. But 6 psi has the same amount of heat 60psi does... So personally unless it's front mount or you have a hood scoop, I'd skip it and put the bov right before the throttle body)

Custom up and downpipe (custom means I ran out of argon, so it's ghetto not custom)

Coolant is .simple as. Kid Kudi.. Soooo easy

Oil blows!!!!!!(!x a trillion), you have to tap the oil pressure sensor and the alternator is in the way..

Turbo- I have an ihi vf11, which is what was used for the ej22t I think. I don't know much about them.. Obviously the turbines are different but for the application at hand.. The vf 11 is fine. It was only 75$

Injectors! I'm still running my stock 240's with an amount of psi I don't care to disclose after stating they're 240's. But 02-07 top fed injectors will work, and put right in (I think)

Sign up at nasioc.com and use the classifieds there. I just got wrx injectors for 80$...

You can use ebay! But !!!!!! anything mechanical I've used (tried to use) has failed(didn't work to begin with) so seriously, do not by a shifty as bov for 40$ use a stock wrx and vta!

It's all really really simple

I have like 200 mb's of downloaded web pages with tons of stuff.. Asking on one forum probably wont get you very far and googling how to turbo an ej22 will just get you shifty answers..

What about oil drain you say!? I'll let you know it's impossible to take your oil pan off without taking TONS of other stuff off, so you can't "tap it". I have a half inch line draining into my dipstick hole/bung. It sucks it self shut with the bends, so you'll need !uni coils!.. I haven't use them yet but it could help....

I'll pm you my email, so u can sent me whatever u can the more the merryer. Also I don't plan on buying a kit I plan on pieceing together my own with mostly factory Subaru stuff, I do plan on running a fmic and a walboro fuel pump, or Can I used a wrx fuel pump?? I also read I need to swap my heads from single port to dual, wont that mean I need a new intake manifold also? And last but not least I've heard I can use a wry oil pump and water pump so I don't need to tap into oil or water, is this true?..

I have a wrx fuel pump.

You don't need to swap your heads.

If you use a wrx oil and water pump (I don't have any idea if it will fit(prbly though)) you will have to take your timing belt off, it might be a bitch to do without taking your engine out.. If it's even possible still in.

If you have money and you can take your engine out.. And a lot of down time, change the heads, but if you do that you might as well beef the internals up.

I dont think it would be worth the hassle. The coolant tap is so sooooooo so easy! It takes like 2 minutes.

You could buy an ss with a AN fitting that would go into the turbo and get an adapter fitting for the other end so it can fit over the dipstick bung

So is the wrx pump good for 8psi?? Also, what will I do for a single port header?

I don't wanna put to much money into the motor, just what I need so I don't wanna mess with internals.

Yeah I did one on my buddies car that we turboed.

And I'll just tap the oil pan haha.

I also read I need to swap my heads from single port to dual, wont that mean I need a new intake manifold also?

If you're trying to turbo a 22E, those heads are not sufficient enough for the added power nor are they designed for a turbocharger. Will they work with one? If you have good welding skills & the materials to create a turbo engine, go for it.

The intake manifold should/will go/come with whatever DOHC heads you decide to use for the 22E/222 (if you decide to go this route). 25D heads are good for turbo applications but the left head needs to be tapped for a turbo line or you can go custom. WRX/STi heads will be better because they're already tapped.

I say use OEM Subaru turbo parts because they are designed for turbo applications & can/will interchange with each other.(obviously).

Using dual port heads opens up a very WIDE door for interchangeability between other turbo models. It doesn't make sense to retain the single port heads for a turbocharged application because the turbo models only have dual port heads & camshafts already ground for forced induction with the proper lift/duration needed.

And last but not least I've heard I can use a wry oil pump and water pump so I don't need to tap into oil or water, is this true?.

This is correct. The WRX oil & water pumps are designed for extra stress the turbocharged engine will produce.

People say "swap in a WRX or STi". Granted, you CAN do this but why? You already have a block right there. It's a good block that is no stronger or weaker than the 205 (I have personally worked on the 22E/222 so I have some experience). From my studies (both in my hands & online) the pistons, the ring lands seem to be too thin & can either break or crack under boost. Pistons are available for that block. (If you have 22T pistons, all the better).

You'd have a good middle man with the 22E/222. Revvingess of the 205 with the low-end TQ of the 25D would make for a very balanced engine.

In N/A form, my 22E DOHC mix worked very well for me (had to use a thin gasket & had the heads worked over).

Boosted, the 22E DOHC would be a beast, probably even at 8psi.

This is a WRX with a 22E block. There is even a thread on this car in which the previous owner had no problems before he sold it - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTYTRXpk8fM]YouTube - 100_1039.MOV[/ame]

Okay so another rumor I have heard is that the ej22 single port heads flow better which makes them better for boost, im taking that who ever said that is wrong??

The 1996+ 22E/222 heads have single ports because it was cheaper for Subaru to produce.

I know the 22T heads are said & shown to flow horrible under high boost but can move air/exhaust just fine under normal conditions.

The 22E heads flow better but need 22T cams to operate better.

Mine came with an uppipe (that I couldn't use) and turbo for 75$ ... So you could

just keep buying other stuff and wait for something cheaper. Vf 39's are like 400$ though so 100$ isn't to bad

I'm using stock headers. I don't see why you couldn't or shouldn't.

Phase 2/obd2 sohc's flow like shit.

Walbro fuel pumps are only like 80$ I think.. I got my wrx one from hong kong :) hah for 35$ it's sufficient.

so is my best bet still to swap to dohc heads?

Personally if your going that far, you should just find ej22t parts!

I have sohc's and with 8 psi it's mighty dandy. 200 ish hp I would estimate:eek::spin::confused:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtooGDYkTXs&sns=em]turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbo.[/ame]

i was going to go with:

frankenmotor- 2.2 block with 2.5 dohc heads, to floor compression ratio

wrx td04 turbo

sti 'pinks' for injectors

notch the crossmember for the wrx up/dp combo

megasquirt or emanage for engine management

walbro fuel pump

then i hit a guardrail.

Archived