LegacyGT.com

Custom intake

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Intake:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Brandon_Vestal/013.jpg?t=1297440843

The Price List:

All of these items were ordered from www.siliconeintakes.com. There fedex 1-4 day delivery was 13.99 for my order. They had to of shipped it the same day because I ordered it on Monday and it was on my doorstep by Wednesday. Super fast shipping! Here is what I ordered:

(1)Silicone Reducer, 90° bend - 3.0" to 2.75" – Black: $19.99

(1)3.0" Silicone 45° Elbow, Black: $16.993.0"

(1)Silicone Straight Coupler, Black: $6.99

(1)Silicone Reducer, 4.0" to 3.0" – Black: $12.99

(2)Stainless Steel Joiner, 3.0": $7.99x2

(1)T-Bolt Clamp for 2.75": $2.60

(3)T-Bolt Clamp for 3.0": $2.60x3

(2)T-Bolt Clamp for 4.0": $2.60x2

(2) 10mm 1ft Silicone Vacuum hose: $1.99x2

The total for this after shipping came to: $106.51

Some notes on the order:

Pipe Size: Like many of you will have seen with my pictures I went with a 4 inch mid pipe on mine. You can do that if you wish (for $3.00 more). I doubt the 4inch mid pipe will have much effect on the intake but I did it as an experiment. Perhaps some day I will switch it out for a 3inch to see if I notice a difference in ether performance or more likely sound. I would still go with the 4inch filter at the end for the increase velocity, (this is still up for debate I guess but it will increase throttle response) plus in my opinion it looks cool and bigger filters dont cost anymore than smaller ones. If you did decide to only use a 3inch filter this would also save you some money though. It would actually save you $9.99 as long as the filter has a long enough flange length (the length of the part that hooks to the maf adapter) So keep that in mind.

Clamps: You can use more clamps if you want to be on the safe side. I ordered two for each joiner (see pic below) but it really isnt necessary. I put on the part list that you need 4 clamps. The way they tell you to do it you actually need 6. I just used one over the seam of the two pipes. Worked just fine and it would save you $5.20.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/images/product/joiner_instructions.jpg

The vacuum lines: I ordered 3 feet of the vacuum line and didnt need hardly any of it. There are three vacuum lines that will need to be hooked up. You will need to use at least some of the hose. You will notice that the 10mm vacuum hose is a little small but it should be. It just keeps it tight on the connectors and works perfectly. Something else to remember is all of these lines MUST be installed behind the air filter. Otherwise you are bringing in (obviously) unfiltered air.

There are two valve cover breather lines (flat engine=2 valve covers), you will use a t connector to join the two lines. You then use some of the vacuum hose to connect it to the intake.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Brandon_Vestal/024.jpg?t=1297439355

Next there is a pcv line. I just removed the existing hose had cut a piece of vacuum hose to the proper length to fit over the stock connector. If your hose is old this is the perfect solution. Like I said before its very snug but it work just fine.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Brandon_Vestal/022.jpg?t=1297439427

And last there is the idle bypass line. Its quite a bit larger than the 10mm hose and its also the most important hose of the bunch so I wouldnt recommend replacing it. But hey you could replace it with the vacuum line and just keep the factory one as a test. If you do let me know. This was the tricky one for me. This hose is extremely hard to work with. Its thick and has absolutely no give. Some day I will probably come up with a better solution for it but for now it stays. You will have to cut this hose shorter to have any hope of hooking it to the intake. The problem is it must be installed close the MAF sensor. Plus, like I said, this is sensitive hose so I didnt just add vacuum line (which is much more flexible) to make it work.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Brandon_Vestal/021.jpg?t=1297439498

Things you will need from other places:

(1) 3" MAF Sensor Intake Filter Adapter*: $13.75 with shipping. There is a best offer so you might be able to get it cheaper (I think I got mine for a dollar cheaper). Link here.

It fits but... not perfectly. they only way if fit on mine is diagonally using only two screws instead of four. Kinda ghetto but honestly it works and you dont really even notice once the intake is installed. There are a few other ones on ebay so if you decide to try one of those let me know and I will add it to this post.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Brandon_Vestal/015.jpg?t=1297439624

(1) 1/2" Tee hose Barb/Insert Connector

http://store02.prostores.com/whatafish/catalog/Tee.625x.5x.625.jpg

(3) 1/2" Adapter Hose Barb/Insert

http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/product_thumb.php?img=images/PF-SP1436-213.jpg&w=126&h=115

The connectors I ordered found on this ebay store

First thing I will say is these are pretty expensive so I am not going to include them in the final price. You can probably find them waaaay cheaper at the hardware store or in a garden supply store. The only reason I bought them is I had a bunch of ebay bucks built up so I just decided to be lazy and order them off there. Plus then if all else fails I can tell you for sure that what is shown in the picture is what you need. Also I only used/ordered 3 of the strait inserts. It might be a safe idea to get more before you start the project. In case you ruin one or you decide to do it a little different than I did. I thought I would only need three so thats how many I got. But if I would have been nice to have more because I was obligated to just make it work with three rather than go with the neatest way of putting it together. So keep that in mind when you do yours.

As stated before the T connector will be used to hook together the two valve breather lines. You will then cut some vacuum line to hook the bottom part of the "T". The other end will be fitted to the intake.

As for the barb connectors I used these to attach to the intake. I drilled holes smaller than the threaded end then hooked the vacuum lines to the barb. The only one that was done in reverse was the idle bypass line. For this line I put the threaded end into the line and the barb end into the intake. This is not how I originally envisioned it but the threaded end fits snugly into the idle line.

This is a pretty open ended part of the intake. Really as long as you connect the vacuum hoses to the intake in a secure way it will work. You really could use anything you like. They just have to be able to freely "vacuum" air out of the intake. There is also no specific placement other than after the maf and before the throttle body. Its a hell of a lot easier to put drill holes where there is no steel joiner.

Last but not least the air filter:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Brandon_Vestal/014.jpg?t=1297439708

As for the filter you can use any filter you like as long as its 3 or 4inch inlet. Like I said before using the 3 inch filter will save you money but the 4 inch is larger, probably louder, and has the velocity benefit.

Here are some options: Also if you decide to order from a place that has various sizes of filter keep in mind with my intake design you will not be able to fit a filter any longer than the one I chose which is 7 inches (huge). Bigger filters dont seem to cost more than smaller ones unless they are extreme sizes.

www.siliconeintakes.com has some air filter of two styles and both inlet sizes. They are also very cheap.

www.knfilters.com has any filter size and shape you like. I ordered a K&N for my car (found here)

www.amsoil.com has inverted cone style filters. Seem to be the best design however they are also the most expensive.

Note: I know there are a lot of stories about the K&N filter causing problems. Personally I think its BS. If you dont agree with me start your own thread about it and we will talk about it there. Im not trying to be rude thats just not what this thread is about.

Some thoughts on the intake:

I have been using it daily for a few weeks now. It does provide noticeable improvement in throttle responce. As far as power gain it might add some torqe below 3K rpm but nothing extreamly evedent. However at about 4K - 5K the difference is quite apparent. I have never reved the car past 5K so I cant report for that lol.

As far as soud goes its silent in first gear unless your wot. 1st is so short in this car I rarely spend any time there so I never have a reason to open it up in first. Really its quite in every gear if your light on the throttle. However at wot sound from that boxer engine invades the cabin. If your wot above 4K its screaming. Then get on the highway and set the cruise its silent again.

I am really very happy with the way it turned out.

In the first 10 seconds of the video I am just using normal acceleration. As you can here there is not much sound at all. Then at 12 seconds I give it a quick wot. Then when I get onto the strait side road i accerate in 2nd gear up to 5K rpms. *For some reason the youtube version of this video has a bunch of vibrating. Dont know why. Ill probably redo this tomorrow but enjoy for now

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNl0ovVqtrk]YouTube - Subaru Legacy Custom Intake sound (Driving)[/ame]

The first to revs I am using about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. Pretty stock sounding. But then I use 3/4 to full throttle and there is plenty of sound. Sorry about the wind.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKZuRmJjUA]YouTube - Subaru Legacy Custom Intake sound (Engine Bay)[/ame]

Sorry about some of the background noise and wind. Its always windy in here. O and please dont be dumb like me and video tape and drive. Its just not very smart. Tomorrow I will have someone who can tape for me so I might be able to get better quality.

My Legacy :cool: I will be starting a thread on my upcoming mods so keep posted. (not too posted cause you know how slow I am lol)

Thats the parking lot a tear up at night. Thus why its dirty :) Getting pretty good with awd. Never owned one until recently. Those tires are plus sized. It think they look good.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/Brandon_Vestal/027-1.jpg?t=1297440528

I know me too lol. Im still waiting on my filter and intake adapter.

Even though velocity is increase, overall airflow will be restricted by the smaller diameter. However, because the smallest diameter in the system is the TB, it will not matter.

Even though velocity is increase, overall airflow will be restricted by the smaller diameter. However, because the smallest diameter in the system is the TB, it will not matter.

Alright this has been gone over like 50 times already on this thread. I will say it one last time. The intake is not smaller its bigger. The idea of the airflow being lower than the stock intake is stupid. This subject is dead. This thread is about the intake and the install. If you want to debate or comment about this with me I would be happy to participate on another thread. Make the thread or pm me and we will talk about it but from now on can we please keep this out of the thread. Its been covered.

I know the pics are coming soon but how is the fit? Is there pretty good clearance between the intake and all the crap that is attached to the pass. strut tower? That was the only concern I had was the fitment in the engine bay and clearances. And what size drill bit did you use for the holes for the barbed fittings? I'm assuming one that is smaller than the barb diameter?

As far as fitting in the engine bay its perfect. I will have to take a look at what I used on for the drill bit. But your right it was slightly smaller than the barb. Obviously if you use a different barb this will change for you. Ill have a more complete writeup as the days go by. Im working on it more right now.

Alright this has been gone over like 50 times already on this thread. I will say it one last time. The intake is not smaller its bigger. The idea of the airflow being lower than the stock intake is stupid.

Not what I said, and there are only fifty-three posts in the entire thread, genius.

Need pics.

lol

still waiting on the celaru, so i'm looking for some more eye candy. the intake could satisfy... :spin:

patience my pet (lol Simpsons) Problem is I work nights at a hospital so until I hit my days off I dont see enough daylight to take pictures. Plus I want to use a good camera. I plan on having the photos posted by Sunday night :)

Nice looking gt dude...I have one question:

I noticed your cone filter is right near the firewall. For mine with the MAF adapter and (I think) a 6" filter, it's right next to it. I've got a little bit of a rough idle probably because the tc is going bad, but it's just enough to vibrate the intake setup enough to have it clack against the firewall. I put a strip of self-adhesive foam around the metal lip, and that did the trick, but just wondering if you experienced the same thing. I couldn't really find any way to secure the piping :(

Also, remove the damn snorkus haha :spin: I'll post pics of my setup when I get home.

Nice looking gt dude...I have one question:

I noticed your cone filter is right near the firewall. For mine with the MAF adapter and (I think) a 6" filter, it's right next to it. I've got a little bit of a rough idle probably because the tc is going bad, but it's just enough to vibrate the intake setup enough to have it clack against the firewall. I put a strip of self-adhesive foam around the metal lip, and that did the trick, but just wondering if you experienced the same thing. I couldn't really find any way to secure the piping :(

Also, remove the damn snorkus haha :spin: I'll post pics of my setup when I get home.

Hmm no I didnt have any rattling problems. Did you make one like mine or did you use different parts? Whats your tc?

This setup looks really good! I decided to go with an OBX CAI intake pipe from Ebay with a K&N panel filter.

Cool post some pics of your once your done :)

torque converter going bad. there's just enough vibration to rattle the whole car when I'm stopped in drive, and it's a similar idea; I used the intake tubing from a 2.2 (straight pipe), threw a maf adapter on the end + gasket, and then the filter. Looks pretty similar to yours, but all my stuff was premade. Gets the job done IMO, but yours looks cleaner.

Archived