LegacyGT.com

Custom intake

Alright came up with a decent plan to connect the intake to the vacuum hoses. Got most of that inspiration from this thread.

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1479

Here are the connectors I chose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-1-2-MPT-x-Hose-Barb-Insert-Aquarium-Fitting-/200459074928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eac4abd70

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-Tee-Hose-Barb-Insert-Aquarium-Fitting-/200471435232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ead0757e0

I have been aiming towards a quality intake so I thought about using brass or another type of metal fitting but its just too heavy and expensive to justify. In some ways plastic is more reliable anyway.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like that bigger fitting will take care of the idle air bypass hose? (the big one) but how are you going to get the 1/2" line from the valve covers into the intake? Or does your car have a different setup for the hoses needed to recirc?

And have you tried fitting that 2.5" elbow onto the throttle body? I measured one of my extras and it measured 2.75". I don't know how forgiving that silicone is but something to look at if you haven't already test fit it.

Hmm well if its 2.75 I will have a tight squeeze ahead of me. Did you mesure the inside of the throttle body? When you measure you take the bore of the throttle body not the outside diameter. If they are equal in diameter its not a big deal. I could have sworn in was 2.5. But o well. Its not very forgiving actually. If your right then it will not be as easy getting it on.

All three of the vacuum lines are 1/2 (roughly) so I ordered three 1/2 fittings. I will drill holes in the side of the intake for the fittings to attach to the intake.

I just measured mine on my 97 and it is indeed 2.75"

Well F#$%! Lol o well. It will be a tight fit but im sure I can get it to work. I wont have to worry about it slipping off. What I will probably do to fix this is warm it up or something. Should be able to stretch it over. Its only 1/4 of an inch.

But hey thanks for checking into it for me. At least some people have something useful to say.

ive got confidence it'll work, i dont see why ppl doubt it!

I know its like everyone is out to get you when you try something new. Calm down at the very least im saving you some trouble by working things out for you. Like the 2.5 or 2.75 thing. Once I install it I will be able to tell you exactly what to order and how well it works. Its just an experiment. However its a well thought out experiment. (even though I didnt take the time to measure the throttle body lol) But I always make mistakes like that.

"Many great ideas have been lost because the people who had them could not stand being laughed at." ~Author Unknown

I dont know if the same effect would apply since the throttle body, maybe at WOT, but maybe it would have the same effect as intake runners, valves, cylinder head ports, etc? smaller, longer runners make the air speed up and get shoved into the cylinder. makes for low end performance but then upper end suffers since the actual amount of air isnt enough. a wider, shorter runner works just the oposite. makes for good high end, but crappy low end since the air is moving so slow.

it looks like it would take the charge in that balloned space, and squeeze it into the smaller tube, incesing velocity, again, giving lower end performace. like i said, i dunno if it would do anying because the throttle body, unless only at part -> WOT. if nothing else that space will act somewhat like a plenum(spelling, screw it, probably more then one word wrong here....) and have a kind of air reserve behind the air filter?

hell, i dunno. haha.

I dont know if the same effect would apply since the throttle body, maybe at WOT, but maybe it would have the same effect as intake runners, valves, cylinder head ports, etc? smaller, longer runners make the air speed up and get shoved into the cylinder. makes for low end performance but then upper end suffers since the actual amount of air isnt enough. a wider, shorter runner works just the oposite. makes for good high end, but crappy low end since the air is moving so slow.

it looks like it would take the charge in that balloned space, and squeeze it into the smaller tube, incesing velocity, again, giving lower end performace. like i said, i dunno if it would do anying because the throttle body, unless only at part -> WOT. if nothing else that space will act somewhat like a plenum(spelling, screw it, probably more then one word wrong here....) and have a kind of air reserve behind the air filter?

hell, i dunno. haha.

These may be factors in higher performance engines but not in this engine lol. My intake should surpass the stock one in every area except filtration. You dont get better flow without worse filtration.

Update: car is still in the shop. Dont know what is taking so long but as soon as I get it back the intake will be installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah sorry for the lag. It took longer for the car to get back than I thought. The actual problem was the bypass hose had a slight leak. That tiny leak was causing all sorts of problems.

Anyway got it back and have all the parts for the intake. Looks like as long as I can get it to fit over the throttle body it should work perfectly. The plastic connectors that I ordered off ebay look perfect. I hope to be getting it on this weekend or at the latest monday.

"They see me rollin...they hattin..." daps, daps for trying something new

everyone out there this is what he's trying to accomplish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/

ie: ITB

http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/velocity_of_sound/velocity_stacks.htm

http://www.turbohoses.com/velocity_stack.htm

my input try using a hose that tapers like the link right above, it might work better than ::filter:: > small tubing > big tubing > back to small.

I totally get you though, keep it up, props to you!

Now im not an expert. But I dont know why wall friction would matter at all because the increase in velocity is still greater than the friction it creates.

Would "wall friction" cause heat thus killing the reason for having a Cold air intake. Also by having a chamber for the air to linger just waiting to speed up, will also give it more time to soak up the heat from the engine. Again killing the reason for cai.

"They see me rollin...they hattin..." daps, daps for trying something new

everyone out there this is what he's trying to accomplish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/

ie: ITB

http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/velocity_of_sound/velocity_stacks.htm

http://www.turbohoses.com/velocity_stack.htm

my input try using a hose that tapers like the link right above, it might work better than ::filter:: > small tubing > big tubing > back to small.

I totally get you though, keep it up, props to you!

Yeah that was my initial thought too. Perhaps I will switch to a smaller one as an experiment to see the difference (if any). Like I said my inspiration was from the password jdm intakes. Their intakes contain a bubble in the middle of the intake. So I decided to give it a try.

Thanks for the support :) I bring it over to my dads house (he has every tool imaginable and a heated garage) to finish the job on Monday.

Would "wall friction" cause heat thus killing the reason for having a Cold air intake. Also by having a chamber for the air to linger just waiting to speed up, will also give it more time to soak up the heat from the engine. Again killing the reason for cai.

Well my intake is not a cold air intake. The filter will sit in the engine bay. I am not worried about heat soaking the intake for a few reasons.

First most "real" intakes are made from metal. Alloys such as that obviously absorb plenty of heat. Also I dont know how many people know this but your throttle body is actually heated by coolant from your engine anyway so worrying too much about cold air is pointless.

My intake is made from silicone (which actually is made from the element silicon a metalloid) so it absorbs much less heat. Thus less heat soak.

I dont know what your asking exactly about wall friction. If your asking if air will heat up the intake as it goes past then no, it will cool it down. If your asking if wall friction will generate heat the answer is yes but on a microscopic level. This would happen with any intake. It would happen less with mine compared to the factory intake because the walls are smooth. Another side note I should point out about this is the exhaust manifold is the hottest part on any car. This gives an intake some help on the subaru because the exhaust manifold is on the bottom of the car keeping nasty hot air away from the intake.

If you ask me the idea of a "cold" air intake is stupid on anything but the most advance designed engines. Not daily driven subaru legacys lol. The only reason you use an intake is to get mor 02. The only reason you use cold air is so the air is denser so in theory there is more 02. However unless your getting air 25 degrees cooler than in the engine bay it will make almost no difference.

Also by my math on this vehicle if you got the temp down by 25 degrees it would only amount to about 8hp. Which would translate to about 6 at the wheels. Also that would have to be at sea level. At a few thousand feet it would be about half that. Not to mention this would be on an engine in nearly perfect working condition producing perfect combustion in an ideal environment.

See where I am going with this? Worrying about more than just getting more throttle response and more air (no matter the temp) into the engine is pointless.

Increased velocity does not necessarily mean increased mass-flow rate.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

0k good answer, you are either a very smart person or a very good google searcher and willing to type a lot. But either way I respect that you did your homework and didn't just start to throw this thing together.

I've also heard of people spending a couple hundred dollars for 8 hp, so in my mind if you were to expand your design to be a CAI it might just be the best homemade intake on these forums. Great job. Maybe you can make a setup for both winter and summer. A short ram for winter, and a CAI for summer. Well that was my 2 cents and I'm running out of pennies.

Increased velocity does not necessarily mean increased mass-flow rate.

True. Like I have said. You are completely limited by two things in this car. One is obviously the flow of the throttle body. Second the flow of the maf censor. All I tried to achieve is close the maximum flow available.

0k good answer, you are either a very smart person or a very good google searcher and willing to type a lot. But either way I respect that you did your homework and didn't just start to throw this thing together.

I've also heard of people spending a couple hundred dollars for 8 hp, so in my mind if you were to expand your design to be a CAI it might just be the best homemade intake on these forums. Great job. Maybe you can make a setup for both winter and summer. A short ram for winter, and a CAI for summer. Well that was my 2 cents and I'm running out of pennies.

It should turn out very well. But if it doesn't then I will post that just the same. I will also post a price of how much it will cost. It actually wasn't as cheap as I was hoping but it will be cheaper for other because I ordered some things I probably wont need but I was just trying to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright the intake is installed at last. . . It works. It works very well too. I will give more details once I have some really good pictures of the install. But for now I will tell you its got a very good sound to it. Kinda angry. Its completely silent when you are idling or have the cruise on or even under light acceleration. Under heavy throttle though you can hear it very clearly. I am quite happy with it.

The final details to come so keep posted. I just forgot my good camera at my parents house. I don't want to just use my stupid cell phone. Sorry for the long wait :icon_chee

Alright planned on taking pics today but the weather took a major turn for the worst. Tomorrow its supposed to be -21 ambient temp. With the wind I could be looking -40s or lower so yeah... I am just trying to keep all the coolant from freezing in my cars for now. Will be taking some pics and doing a write up as soon as I can.

dyno that sheeyit!

Let me put it this way it is in the -40s right now. There are no dynos around here lol. I had to drive somewhere a few hours ago and came up to the stoplight right by my house and went through the red because my brakes went to mush because of the cold. It had to do a few laps around the block before I could use my brakes. Not to mention the tranny was like glue. Had to use two hands to get it into reverse out of the driveway.

Ill start working on a price list now though. The good part is you wont have to spend as much money as I did. I ordered extra just to be safe.

Archived