LegacyGT.com

Flashlight geeks

fishbone

^ I can't help it, and got a set. :) Thanks! :)

I haven't looked into the battery idea, yet, but I will do some searching, and let you know.

BTW, I updated my collection with a SureFire Z2-S, and purchased a Solarfire clip for it, in the hopes of using it for our LMI Low-Light class. :) I'm also looking into updating my true-EDC (a E2D that I've had for the past ~6 years?) with a drop-in.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been using rechargeable CR123A sized Li-Ion in my two surefires for a few years now. No issues. Used daily the batteries last about a month between charges.

^ I think I may switch over to rechargeables, soon.

I still like the primary cells for emergency use, simply because they last so friggin' long in the trunk, in the gun-safe, or otherwise stashed away, but I think that for daily-use - particularly as I'm looking more and more at custom/semi-custom conversions for the E2D that I truly EDC - it'll be a nice, practical, consideration.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ IIRC, it was a good one, but I can't be completely sure. :redface:

• 2 weeks later...
I almost bought a Fenix but didn't want to spend the money

Just bought this pair, deal is only good for today and will probably sell out

Serengeti 160 Lumen Cree LED Flashlight 2 Pack - $17.99 shipped for two

http://www.woot.com/

Wondering if it will help to run lithium batteries or something better in them?

Just got these puppies in. :) My mail didn't come 'till, like, 6PM today. Poor mailman.

Here's part of my post from the Ohioans for Concealed Carry Forums:

I must say that it's money decently spent. The lights seem of decent enough quality, and are pretty decently bright in either modes.

Given that Surefire bills the Z2-S at 160 max lumens, there's no way that this Serengeti measures up. I don't have the ability to test throw/distance tonight, due to all the snow/ice outside, but just cast across my basement's modestly sized finished portion, at a distance of approx. 10 yards, there's a noticeable disparity in the output, favoring the Surefire.

Yeah, but the Surefire is hungrily fed with two CR123 primaries, consuming them rapidly when used constantly, and the Z2-S costs some $130. http://ohioccwforums.org/images/smilies/icon_eek.gifhttp://ohioccwforums.org/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif

So yes, I'm happy enough with the Serengetis. One's in my downstairs tool closet (sitting next to a custom 3W-LED 3xCR123 fed Surefire C3 and my "decommissioned" E2D), the other's in the garage (next to a Fenix L1D CE Q5). Not too bad, for a flashlight that runs on AAs, and came as a pair for some $18, shipped. http://ohioccwforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Oh, and for-reference, its high mode is brighter than my Fenix P2D Q5's highest mode.

Not bad!

^ Oops. :lol: Typo. Too few A's. Hell, with the number of "As" in our family (Allen, Sara, and Anna), I think you can see why. :lol:

• 3 months later...
Alright, thread revival time. I'm shopping for a decent quality but not obnoxiously priced light for general home use and glovebox storage. I've been reccomended the Streamlight PT2-L by a friend and everything I read says it's a great piece and even better considering that it's $40 online. Anyone have one or experience with one?

Not a bad one but personally I am hung up on AA or AAA batteries simply because of how easy you can find rechargeables. That PT2-L takes CR123s. You can find those in rechargeable format too, I think, but last I checked you end up spending the price of the flashlight in a couple sets.

I think I paid $20-30 for my 2 sets of CR123 rechargeable. One set is not holding a charge properly but the other set continues to run strong. I get about 3 weeks of daily use out of the strong set. 90% 15 lumens, 10% 200 lumens

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Rechargeables are great for continuous/often-used lights.

AA/AAAs are great for lights that you'll take with you on trips, as they are often much more easily sourced, particularly if you travel overseas.

For long-term storage, for the time being, CR123As are hard to beat.

See also: 4Sevens Quark123.

I'm happy with CR123s because they don't lose a charge if you don't use them. I don't use my lights much, and that little usage is divided across several lights, so not having to bother with self-discharge is a big plus.

Primary Lithium Battery. You can take almost any other battery on an airplane, can't take a primary lithium. They have a very high energy density, but only once. They're really awesome to throw in the camp fire too.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

That's why FR6 and FR03 batteries are good too. (for those of you that can't understand IEC it's Lithium batteries in AA&AAA size).

Nice!!!! Thanks!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

got one of these in work the other day, total overkill, and pointless bit of schwag for the job i do. It my new non-lethal side arm for carrying in the legacy! pretty bright too! 3000 lumens

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/desperatedano/IMG_20110621_144644.jpg

http://elektrolumens.com/FireSword-V/FireSword-V.html

Archived