LegacyGT.com

Flashlight geeks

fishbone

The Candlepower forums were down as of this writing, so here goes ...

I'm looking to replace my annoyingly dim Maglite LED flashlight. I've grown tired of toys and want to buy my first "real" LED flashlight. Hopefully this won't trigger yet another expensive hobby for me ... I'm looking for the best bang for the buck in the sub $60 range. I narrowed it down to the Fenix LD20+ (the 205-lumen one) and TerraLUX LightStar220 which is a 220 lumen flashlight. The LD20 is around $60 on Amazon and the Terralux is about $30. Quite a difference in price and not sure I know why just yet, quality should be about the same, the LD20 does have 6 different brightness levels which I am not sure I will use. I am still debating which to buy, I would almost rather have 2 settings than 92 which also require twisting the cap.

One thing I want to know and haven't been able to find online for sure was the runtime on the highest setting. Can I use it until the batteries run out, or does it overheat and cause damage? I pulled up the user manual for the Fenix and nothing is mentioned for max runtime, although I have heard rumors they don't recommend you run it more than 10 minutes at a time. I'm assuming these things can be run until the batteries are dry.

Any other suggestions? AA batteries are a requirement.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may not be a facial hair enthusiast, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize some people may be into that sort of stuff. I want a damn nice flashlight for Christmas, I see nothing wrong with that.

just get a big mag lite. the kind cops have. it doubles as a club.

wait...did you really go looking for something to use against me?

Fish, cmon. i thought we were buddies

:lol:

That thread is hard to forget man, it was the first time I saw your mugshot and it cracked me up too. Don't worry, we're buddies :)

I've been a big fan of Maglites for years man, but I've had bad luck with recent ones and the big ones you suggest are, well, big, bulky and get close in price to what I am looking for and are still nowhere as bright. I'm not looking for a fight, nice as it might be they double as a club. Then again, I AM looking at "tactical"-line of flashlights :D

I have surefire flashlights, I think they are pretty good, I like that their batteries have a billion year shelf life. But I'm sure there are better options out there. Just my .02.... I'm institutionalized

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Archived