LegacyGT.com

The beauty of all wheel drive? Yeah right!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year I was at stock ride height w cooper cs4s and had no problems in under 10" of the stuff. This year, though, I went around 1.5" drop on H&R springs. I was already planning on being more careful, but I guess no more donuts early in the morning now :spin:

240's are horrible. My wife's 1990 was the worst car I have ever driven in the snow.

My 240 was awesome in snow... As long as I wasn't very picky about where I wanted to go. :lol: Actually with good tires it wasn't too bad. Just tricky to get going.

That pic reminds me of Highway 40 between Tabernash and Granby(I swear ive seen that exact image driving thru there). Same kind of conditions ice packed with blowing snow over it. It takes a brave soul and a puckered a**hole to make that kind of drive.

There's a reason people have bumper stickers that say, "Pray for me, I drive 93"

Hwy 93 between Golden and Boulder has provided some of the most insane driving moments of my life.

In fact I watched my friend, in his Nissan NX (or whatever that tiny turd was), get semi-lifted and blown off the road into the adjacent rocks.

:spin:

Oh - and to the topic: I drive with Yoko all season tires (nothing special) in some crappy snow conditions and never have a problem. It's not until it's somewhat guaranteed to stay below 40 F that I put on the dedicated snow tires (Dunlop Wintersport M3s)

Tires as most have said make or break snow driving. You COULD get away with all seasons, and some claim to but I run snows here in NY and have pushed through over 14" in the OB. Never would have made it with all seasons. And the people here in syracuse without snows are all over the place when we get a good fall.

what people must learn and know is that AWD does not mean that the car will stay on the ground and go anywhere you want it to go. There are many other factors that go along with this depending on the situation at hand. For you a cheap pair of winter tires would make the snow seem like it's pavement.

what people must learn and know is that AWD does not mean that the car will stay on the ground and go anywhere you want it to go. There are many other factors that go along with this depending on the situation at hand. For you a cheap pair of winter tires would make the snow seem like it's pavement.

Unless he was on snow covered ice. Unfortunately only studs will help you on ice.

i run my all seasons in the winter in syracuse and i haven't had a problem with the snow. I'm even ok getting over the fresh plow bank at the end of my unplowed driveway. it's at least a foot and a half tall sometimes

Tires as most have said make or break snow driving. You COULD get away with all seasons, and some claim to but I run snows here in NY and have pushed through over 14" in the OB. Never would have made it with all seasons. And the people here in syracuse without snows are all over the place when we get a good fall.

I see a bare road!

:lol: That was one of the more visible areas, when I could take a photo while driving. When it got so bad I couldn't see the road and there was ice I wouldn't dare attempt a picture!

For the record, the snow had melted and re-frozen, so you could almost walk on it AND there was ice underneath. This was the first time I'd driven an AWD car in more than an inch of snow, so I was a little over confident. Being high centered like I was, I doubt even snow tires would have got me through very easily.

That road is great fun west > east, the tailwinds are massive. I once got a speeding ticket in a minivan going over 90 and I wasn't even trying...

For sure spooky with crosswinds & ice tho, good call on the motel. I swear the entire hotel industry in Salida, KS is supported by bad road conditions just like what you had there.

i run my all seasons in the winter in syracuse and i haven't had a problem with the snow. I'm even ok getting over the fresh plow bank at the end of my unplowed driveway. it's at least a foot and a half tall sometimes

Like I said "some" do, but you can't say that your car does as well or is as safe as it would with snows. Tests have shown many many times that all seasons don't stop as well or handle corners as well as dedicated snows. And yes on fresh soft snow all seasons do ok, but rarely do you drive through soft fresh powder on the roads. More often than not it's hard pack that has ice underneath. And I did try to start off last season only using all seasons and the car handled like crap as soon as soon as the roads were covered with hard pack snow and ice.

don't disagree with you at all. snow tires are clearly much better. mine have been doing fine so i haven't needed a reason to buy them. im going to pickup my friend who drives a honda in a couple hours. he's been stuck at his house in the snow band in buffalo. they just got over two feet. that'll be a good test hah

Like I said "some" do, but you can't say that your car does as well or is as safe as it would with snows. Tests have shown many many times that all seasons don't stop as well or handle corners as well as dedicated snows. And yes on fresh soft snow all seasons do ok, but rarely do you drive through soft fresh powder on the roads. More often than not it's hard pack that has ice underneath. And I did try to start off last season only using all seasons and the car handled like crap as soon as soon as the roads were covered with hard pack snow and ice.

I've always run snow tires and I've never been stuck. And my car has seen a serious amount of snow in the last 5+ winters. Oh, I've always been lowered too. ;)

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_3899.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_4077.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_9604.JPG

i can't believe that, sorry, unless you're tires are not good at all. I drove my mx6 lowered with all season tires in 20cm deep snow w/out any issues. Go slower and you're fine. I had contiextreme contact at the time. Was the snow completely frozen perhaps?

As stated already driving through fresh snow is far different than driving on hard packed snow and ice. And 20 cm isn't very deep in a city that averages over 110 inches a year. I would expect that most cars could drive through that without much of a problem. but put those cars on packed snow and ice and there is the question in point.

it was a solid foot and a half of slop in some areas. you could tell they made an effort to plow the roads at one point, but they failed pretty miserably. my entire trip was between the areas on the thruway in which it was closed. Side roads ftw. some guy was stuck in the middle of a turn I needed to take, so I went out, cut it at 90 degrees, slid the rear end around, went by him and I was on my way. you could tell he was pissed hah.

Archived