LegacyGT.com

The beauty of all wheel drive? Yeah right!

I'm driving through Wyoming and decided to stop in Rawlins because I'd rather not die on I-80 at night. I pull into a local hotel for a room and got my LGT stuck in 6" of snow in the middle of the flat parking lot!

Talk about embarrassing! It took 45 minutes to dig it out with a borrowed shovel and a good samaritan pushing... My ABS, check engine, and cruise control lights came on too, but my accessport took care of those (speed sensor code). I guess my cobb springs and all-season tires just dont cut it in the hard, deep snow!

/rant

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be worse, lol. Last year I drove from Virginia to NJ on I-81 during a massive snow storm. I've never seen a major highway so deserted, or so un-plowed with deep snow that EVERYTHING was white and the only way to tell where the highway went was the mile-marker signs because even the guardrails were covered with snow, haha. That was a fun drive.

I lived next to I-81 for over 20 years, it's nice when it's deserted! The difference is on I-80 in wyoming, there's ice under the blowing snow, traffic is going 70, (75mph speed limit!) and there's 55mph crosswinds! Much scarier than anything I've encountered on the east coast. And to think I don't have my bumper beam on the car right now...

It also depends what you parked on. If you pulled into the lot and were on a sheet of ice, you won't be able to gain any traction to pull out whether there's an inch of snow or 10 inches. I got my car stuck after I went over a small curb and the front wheels just spun on the grass and ice while the rears just turned the snow it was on into ice.
It's cool; I'm with the band

That pic reminds me of Highway 40 between Tabernash and Granby(I swear ive seen that exact image driving thru there). Same kind of conditions ice packed with blowing snow over it. It takes a brave soul and a puckered a**hole to make that kind of drive.

I did this same drive in early January '07 with my (temporarily) RWD, lifted Jeep Cherokee. The wind blew right through the jeep and thew it all over the road. I could have been in Utah by now if it weren't for this weather.

Tires and ride height make a huge difference in the stuck-vs-not-stuck equation.

Allow me to re-use a picture from a couple winters ago...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/MiscLegacy/2Stuck.jpg

The vehicle in the foreground has stock suspension and snow tires, and is not stuck.

The other two? Lowered and stuck. One has all-seasons, but IIIRC one has snows.

Even if you had snow's, if you high center the car, it's not moving. I've done that a few times playing around. Got the same CEL's. They go out after you start the car 4 times.

I have also driven on RT91 in MA during a white out where you had to follow the guardrail, that was in the mid 90's in the civic with all seasons and the ski rack on top. Yep, I have high centered that car too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Could be worse, lol. Last year I drove from Virginia to NJ on I-81 during a massive snow storm. I've never seen a major highway so deserted, or so un-plowed with deep snow that EVERYTHING was white and the only way to tell where the highway went was the mile-marker signs because even the guardrails were covered with snow, haha. That was a fun drive.

I wasn't too far from you PA was the same. I was going at my slow pace while cars and trucks would come barreling past me ending up in a ditch or ping ponging the guard rails.

Archived