LegacyGT.com

The beauty of all wheel drive? Yeah right!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I made it all the way back to western Washington on my crappy all seasons! I-84 in eastern Oregon was terrible, though. The 18 wheelers were all pulling over to put chains on and I was just passing them by (at 20mph!) Once I got into the Columbia River Gorge the roads were fine and it was back to doing the speed limit.

Luckily it rarely ever shows where I live, and when it does, I have my Jeep to drive. :)

I cant complain, I take the lake home from University. Its roughly 10km long and has snow drifts that are 1 to 2ft in height. Obviously running winter tires tho. And its not slammed either, still stock height. Lakes are amazing for pulling sweet powerslides. haha

Being prepared is the best you can do -- I like my Conti DWS and found Dunlop M&S were good on former WRX. Unless you've got studded Nokians or chains, you are always at risk for being out of control dependent on speed and conditions.

I've driven 30 years in snow and there's a lot of different types dependent on temp and humidity. Cold, dry, fresh powder is no problem, but at higher temps and humidities where the snow is just ready to pack into a greasy, white glaze....you're screwed if you drive past the friction coefficient and handling capabilities. Know your snow and limitations. And practice your drift!!

Being prepared is the best you can do -- I like my Conti DWS and found Dunlop M&S were good on former WRX. Unless you've got studded Nokians or chains, you are always at risk for being out of control dependent on speed and conditions.

I've driven 30 years in snow and there's a lot of different types dependent on temp and humidity. Cold, dry, fresh powder is no problem, but at higher temps and humidities where the snow is just ready to pack into a greasy, white glaze....you're screwed if you drive past the friction coefficient and handling capabilities. Know your snow and limitations. And practice your drift!!

Well said,;)

it was a solid foot and a half of slop in some areas. you could tell they made an effort to plow the roads at one point, but they failed pretty miserably. my entire trip was between the areas on the thruway in which it was closed. Side roads ftw. some guy was stuck in the middle of a turn I needed to take, so I went out, cut it at 90 degrees, slid the rear end around, went by him and I was on my way. you could tell he was pissed hah.

:spin:

I went up a iced over hill @ 19 mph. A few people went down it @ 40 mph and that was riding the brakes. Wish I could afford those studded for his pleasure tires or live where summer tires are a year round option.

Archived