LegacyGT.com

Driving in snow

Ah no. The coefficient of static friction is always greater than that of kinetic friction.

http://www.hockeyphysics.com/uploads/2/7/2/6/2726311/2828822_orig.jpg

A higher coefficient means more friction.

Not to mention, melted rubber on concrete:lol:

This may help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't the grip (friction) between tire and road greatest at the point just before slip occurs?

Yes and no... it is greatest up and to the point of slipping i.e. static friction. Once you go into a skid it turns into kinetic friction and then lessens.....

This whole thread is amusing though.... I think page 3 or 4 this whole debate was answered when someone chimed in that ABS is meant to CONTROL braking, not lessen the distance. ABS is meant to keep all four tires gripping at the same rate, so if you hit a patch of ice and your front right tire would slide causing you to shift, insted ABS kicks in and keeps all four tires going straight, avoiding swerving into another lane or off the road. I think a lot of numbers were crunched and it was decided it would be better to occaisionally slowly slide into the rear of someone in adverse weather, than to lose control and hit them head on in another lane or go over a hill.... Honestly, if you hit someone from behind hard enough to cause serious injury or harm, you were going to fast or following too closely... threshold braking wouldn't have done a damn thing at that point...

It seems like every time I search YouTube for winter driving videos I get some punk doing donuts in a parking lot and sliding sideways into a lamppost.

Then I found this: Nothing dramatic, but clearly shows the difference between Winter tire/All-season tire and ABS/Non-ABS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCeZ5g-CKc]YouTube - Winter Driving Tips on Braking[/ame]

Anyone have any good input one a really nice all season tire. My stock Yokohama sucked Ass last winter and I'm trying avoid that again.

Go to the tires forum or click in the reviews link at the top of any page.

But like he said the DWS seems to be the way to go...along with smart driving in the snow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Anyone have any good input one a really nice all season tire. My stock Yokohama sucked Ass last winter and I'm trying avoid that again.

I believe the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are rated as the best all-seasons?

I have a set of Eagle F1 A/S which supposebly were top before the Michies came out and I really like them too.

awd or snow tires mean nothing. I did fine last winter up in upstate ny with a front wheel drive sedan no problems. its all about the driver. taking the car to an empty lot and testing out common situations is what I did. Drive slower. Learn how to react to common situations that you may encounter in snow. Driving in the winter is about being smart. Getting someplace faster is useless. Get there safe. I think everyone is just trying to prove a point of don't drive stupid in snow. Its a lot more unpredictable than you expect, especially if ur new to it.

as for this winter for me, driving on stock yokohamas. i don't anticipate any problems. just drive slower. and if its really bad out, simply don't go out.

I cannot believe what I just read. :)

Why do you have an AWD when you do not use the benefit of it, and use the right tyres under the right conditions?

Driving with summertyres on snow is complete madness, especially on an AWD car.

I hope, i do not have to explain why...

I just got DWS a few weeks ago. Loving them so far. we have had a few mornings of some snow on the roads, seem to handle great. Haven't really got to test them in anything heavy yet, but we are supposed to get some heavy snow this sunday so hopefully I'll get a chance.

Same thing here, we allready had a lot of snow here in Holland.

VDCS disabled, and the fun starts. :)

Sadly one cannot do the same with the ABS...

AWD + snowtyres + snow = heavens. :icon_cool

I do mis the DCCD I had on my Impreza however, this is very effective on snow.

The most important thing is just how loose the nut is, behind the steering wheel.;)

best advice given thus far! snow tires, awd...etc can help but if you aren't being safe and controlled it doesn't matter. It was amazing how many times i saw that last year during the twin blizzards in Feb. PA refused to plow 83 after the first drop until everyone was off it and it turned into a Mad Max scene out there with everyone skidding off the road and trying to get around one another. I was unfortunately on the road getting my wife from work and trying to get home. i made it safely because i kept my wits about me and was logical. All on A/S tires!!! :spin:

best advice given thus far! snow tires, awd...etc can help but if you aren't being safe and controlled it doesn't matter. It was amazing how many times i saw that last year during the twin blizzards in Feb. PA refused to plow 83 after the first drop until everyone was off it and it turned into a Mad Max scene out there with everyone skidding off the road and trying to get around one another. I was unfortunately on the road getting my wife from work and trying to get home. i made it safely because i kept my wits about me and was logical. All on A/S tires!!! :spin:

Smart!:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

^ouch dude! I concur, with the risk of sounding elitist or with a superiority complex, it's other drivers that do stupid shit or get stuck and reflects right back at you. Last night we got hit with icy rain, within minutes the roads were like driving on shiny glass. Slippery, slippery glass. There were people driving with their hazards on. Which meant their blinkers were useless and nobody could anticipate what they were going to do next. Unless you have a mechanical problem with your vehicle, I don't care you're scared shitless behind the wheel. Don't flip your f-ing hazards on. You're not the only asshole on the road. Needless to say I pwned that ice like there was no tomorrow. And I will disagree with whomever says awd doesn't help you stop. If you know how to engine brake and do so properly, it works a heck of a lot better at maintaining the vehicle steady and slowing it down more efficiently.

We had 4 inches of snow (only snow, very little ice) drop the other day and I was in a line of 15 cars following someone going about 10 mph on a 40mph road. I feel like you shouldn't be on the roads if you are that uncomfortable driving in the conditions. Stay where you're at until you feel comfortable driving. All it does is piss off the 15 people behind you until one of them decides to do something stupid in bad conditions.
It's cool; I'm with the band

I didn't say that they should be going 40, but crawling along barely above idle speeds is a bit ridiculous. Visibility wasn't hindered by white-out type conditions. I guess its hard to describe the conditions, but the 4 inches was definitely not on the roads, especially where there was decent traffic which is the case with this road.

My point was that if you feel uncomfortable driving in adverse conditions, don't drive at all. It interferes with/agitates other drivers who are more comfortable and makes them more likely to do something stupid.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Had an oh SHIT moment this morning... was coming to work this morning for snow removal, and there is a nice STEEP turn coming into the parking lot entrance at the shop. I'm doing about ten, all of a sudden tapped the brakes and started the slide. NOW, KEEP IN MIND, I've been driving around in a civic for the last two years, and this is the first time all season I've driven in snowy conditions....anyhow, I'm basically heading directly for a wrecked front tire/suspension job when all of a sudden I remember I'm in my new AWD subie! Little gas, steered right through the turn to safety. Temporary brain fart and pucker moment, but crisis avoided. I >3 my car

Archived