LegacyGT.com

quarter-life crisis?

So since most of you appreciate a nicely engineered vehicle I wanna know what you think. I am thinking about selling my stg 2+ LGT. And Buying An Evo. They have always had this slight interest to me and I love the 4g63 engine and its complete potential. What do you think? I mean I love subaru....but Im kinda thinking something different now. What do you guys think. I know a lot of us like the evo but also are die hard for subaru. Opinions?

From what I have heard from talking to EVO owners and from what I have noticed is that everyone that is thinking about having an EVO loves them, but almost everyone I have talked to (4 or 5) that owns one HATES them...it's a little ironic.

I know a guy that just bought one that is completely stripped and modded for track only use and he loves every second of it...but that's another story.

i wonder why they hate the car so much? an evo can make power a lot easier than our cars though. And it seems there are more options for evos. It seems not a lot of parts(performance wise) are not made for the lgt.

There are subtle things that make the EVO8-9 less fun to own as a DD ( since you listed the 4G63 instead of the 4B11 ).

1. No cruise control - there are aftermarket units but for long-haul drives it can be a headache

2. Exhaust mods = LOUD. For DD users.

3. OEM clutch is garbage. Do some leg lifts, specifically the left, before replacing it with one that won't shred on the first launch.

4. Poor dealer support. You think SoA is hard on mods or voiding warranties?!? Look into some tactics Mitsu pulled in the day ( video at tracks, NASA membership scans, etc ).

5. Quirky trannies and drivetrains. Why #3 is a problem ( protects the glass gearset and TC ).

Grass ain't greener on the other side sometimes. Note most/all the negatives are in relation to use as a Daily Driver. You will be waaaaaay happier if this is the case with the LGT.

Or look into the EVO-X. Much more refined over the 8-9.

Or if you are going to go DSM get an old GST or GSX. They will take some power!

But whatever, OP asked several times in his post for others opinions even though we all know an EVO is uncivilized compared to a LGT. 'nuff said.

Either you want to be a roadbeast or you are happy being a sleeper. Only you can answer that.

The ones I have driven were complete pieces of crap (no that the Subaru is much better :lol: ) but if you like being beat up and lag, they are a good choice :) The transverse layout makes working on them a lot easier for a lot of things.

I'm with rao on this.I've looked at them and found them to be lacking in almost everthing but power.

Did some body say something about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence?

How about... sometimes ideas sound better on paper then in real life.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have an Evo IX. Just got a Legacy GT in the family. Completely different cars. The Evo is raw and can be crazy fast. The interior is rather plan and the Recaro seats can be snug for some. It's a fun car to drive but like any car has it's weaknesses. The Legacy GT has a more "grown up" interior. The seats are very comfy and you get a lot of features that are creature comforts, heat seats, sunroof, front/rear, side mirror defroster, the SI drive is pretty neat, and the exterior doesn't draw unwanted attention. Both are excellent cars and I enjoy driving both. Like I stated they are very different cars so it's nice to be able to enjoy both of them.

Here's a question to the OP, if you're looking at the Evo, have you considered the STi and doing a pro's and con's as well on that? A lot of WRX owners say they wish they had gone the legacy route for various reasons. Most Evo owners as well are content with their smoke everything around them car. And they're difficult to find unmolested if you do choose to get one. Dunno anything about the X's. my .02

My brother has a 08 Evo. I have driven it, and it's great car. But I would take my subie over it. It's very much a rally car. The trunk size makes me want to laugh. He has two little ones, and they don't go in it at all. The front seats hug you like no tomorrow.

I have an Evo IX. Just got a Legacy GT in the family. Completely different cars. The Evo is raw and can be crazy fast. The interior is rather plan and the Recaro seats can be snug for some. It's a fun car to drive but like any car has it's weaknesses. The Legacy GT has a more "grown up" interior. The seats are very comfy and you get a lot of features that are creature comforts, heat seats, sunroof, front/rear, side mirror defroster, the SI drive is pretty neat, and the exterior doesn't draw unwanted attention. Both are excellent cars and I enjoy driving both. Like I stated they are very different cars so it's nice to be able to enjoy both of them.

yes the lgt does have a very much nicer interior. I have the lmtd so it has all the goodies. Im just frustrated because it seems there are very few turbo options for our car. Unless im missing something. I do love the sleek and classy look yet the fact that it is also a sleeper.

lol well played....im just trying to find an option for a VERY capable DD. But from what I have seen there are no really good balances is what seems tq to hp....it all seems like high end or really tourquey with a huge drop off. guess thats the way it goes

Have you not seen the 68HTA ? looks like a nice upgrade, how much power do you need ?

There's a thread, http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt-2-5gt-2-5xt-12.html has a lot of info.

I like fast cars, I'm at stage 2 on the stock turbo with 136,000 miles, with a custom tune at just over 18psi. This thing is fast enough for a dependable DD. You can get a bigger turbo or talk with some of the Turbo manufactures I'm sure there is something out there. Just remember the more time the turbo spends in boost the lower the mpg.

I can get over 25mpg and have a 12 second wagon. I'm content. It's all a compromise you really can't have your cake and eat it too. High HP with out all the supporting mods...your just asking for trouble.

If this is your second car....then that's a different story.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My LGT has a PDX 18G in it with all supporting mods and I'm making 310AWHP and 343 tq. Thats right at about where you say you want to be. And it DDs great. There are options out there for turbo options to upgrade- 18G, HTA, etc...

I used to work with a guy that had an evo 8. He loved that damn thing. He had it modded all to hell and tracked it. He was still using the stock turbo and was putting out more power than my LGT. They sure are a beast, but as others have said, they are extremely unrefined. And I wouldn't call them the most reliable.

Have you considered looking into a WRX/STi? Those have a LOT of mods on the market...

My LGT has a PDX 18G in it with all supporting mods and I'm making 310AWHP and 343 tq. Thats right at about where you say you want to be. And it DDs great. There are options out there for turbo options to upgrade- 18G, HTA, etc...

Have you considered looking into a WRX/STi? Those have a LOT of mods on the market...

Ya thats about the perfect power Im looking for. I did look at the sti but....insurance...everyone has one...and they get a lot of attention. My lgt is clean and remotely luxurious but it holds its own quite will with the stage 2 and its not noticable. I just want some more power and the evo offers it. But you all convinced me to not go with the evo. It is a little more "boy racer" look. I mean Im still young(24) but I love both of luxury and power.

So you plan to live until 100 then? Then save the extra you wanted to spend on Evo, you'll thank my grand-kids in 50-70 years.

To the point: I looked at a few Evos before I picked up my spec few months ago. I'm not a fan of Evos with 5spd but their auto tranny felt even worse, exacerbating the feeling of being disconnected from the road. That said - Evos are much easier to drive fast if you're into track or autox.

Archived