LegacyGT.com

Who else loves their TrueTune (311Logan311) Tune??

keithk831

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so if I'm completely stock... and at about 1k elevation and I only use 93 oct sunoco... what can you do for me? What do I need to do? I want a bump in power, I want rid of the horrible 2200rpm stutter/grumble, and I wouldn't mind the boost hanging on a bit longer on the top end.

I plan on doing a catless uppipe and a GMS turboback at some point, and I might replace my TMIC with a better TMIC.

For now, though, where can I go with the factory parts? More highway MPG at 73mph would be awesome, too.

What do I need to buy to do an e-tune? From what I've gathered, I need a windows laptop and a vag-com cable? That's it? I don't need a different PCM or a piggyback? Nothing? What software do I need?

This thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/complete-beginners-guide-e-tuning-vendor-and-vag-com-cable-158118.html goes into great detail about etuning, what is needed and how to do it. Because you have an 06 you can use a vag-com cable, or the more expensive Tactrix 2.0, which has a better reputation. You do not need any other engine management hardware (PCM or piggyback). The software is free and is mentioned in the article, as well as how to use it. Stage 1 usually yields better highway mileage (depending how heavy your foot is :) )

Getting rid of the catted up pipe would be my first recommendation, simply because of issues with the catalytic converter breaking up and being sucked into the turbo. You can get any cat less OEM Subaru up pipe, typically for less than $50. I'll send you a PM with more information. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Logan tunes your car and stays involved with the map tweaks successively until it runs perfect. Highly recommended! Thanks for all your help, man! Helped me with up and downpipe install and then did stage 2 tune. Always the first to reach out to the customer for tweaks, advice, parts searches, so that your vehicle works best for you.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

How does one "street tune" for timing? If you get boost in a reasonable range for a given turbo, set the AFRs, then how do you effectively set timing without a dyno to show you what's happening (torque) at each range, load, etc.? Advance until knock and then back off? That doesn't seem to guarantee max torque, etc., or does it?

Also, some say it's better to lean out some and retard timing a little giving the same power but less fuel consumption (not sure what that does to EGT).

Just curious...will probably post this separately in it's own thread as I know this thread is about TrueTune, not general tuning ;-)

You log those same parameters with doing a street tune. Very similar to dyno tuning, in that aspect. The log files are saved in an excel csv format file. You can then go through the logs and adjust timing, or any number of parameters. Generally, you want to maximize timing efficiency with a target boost number. There's more to it than that, but open source tuning will allow you to tailor the tune to each car, just like dyno tuning.

Thanks for the reply. It's probably different for different tuners, and probably partially "trade secrets", but I'm most curious once AFRs and boost is looking good (if you decide to set boost and AFR first) how someone changes timing. On a dyno, they look at torque and tweak it (from what I've read at least) to maximize torque (without knock, etc.). On the road, that seems hard to do unless you're looking at the things like Rom Raider Dyno torque (or Airboy...same idea) to tell you if you've made an improvement (and those aren't that accurate). There may be some other way, but that's the only way I know of. Again, I don't have much experience.

Alright, I'm getting off the topic of this thread which is the good tuning work Logan is doing...

Every tuner has their methods for getting the type of tune the customer wants (aggressive, power with maximizing fuel economy, ect).

When used properly, Virtual Dyno (or the other software tools you mentioned) can be an excellent tool for gaging the progress of a tune. If you set the car up right, use a smooth, flat road (same road for consistency) these tools work well at giving you guidelines to adjust your tune, along with your logs, which will be of more use. As far as timing goes, here is a small section from a great write up from NASIOC:

"To get the most power out of the engine, we need the maximum pressure in the cylinder to occur once the piston is 15 degrees past TDC (top dead center), or the 12 o clock position. To accomplish this, the AF mixture is ignited early on, usually before TDC. It then gets a little more compressed as it reaches TDC, accelerating the burn. Then, after TDC, the majority of the combustion occurs, pushing the piston.

When we tune timing, we are setting the number of degrees before TDC that we want the sparkplug to ignite the AF mixture. The more advance, the sooner the AF mixture is ignited. Yes, a lot can go wrong here. Luckily, Subaru has an advanced/complicated knock system to prevent catastrophe."

With data logging and proper use of the data collected, you make adjustments to the map to obtain your goals. Having experience with both, I like the "real world" aspect of road tuning. The car adjusts to different road conditions, inclines and declines ect. The dyno is obviously safer, as your are not doing WOT pulls on public roads and gives you consistent pulls on a rolling road.

Hope that helps with questions you have. If not, let me know and I'm more than happy to try and answer questions. Thanks.

Logan

Hell this man has spent countless hours looking at my logs, answering my dumb questsions and he has never charged me a dime. I can say with out a doubt if Logan goes remote tuning AP for the 5th gen, i will be first in line to purchase a tune.

• 2 weeks later...
Add me to the list of happy customers. Stage 2 tuned by Logan (even helped with the install of UP/DP for a small fee). Got the tune 3 weeks ago, but he has already followed up with me several times to refine everything. If you're in the Salt Lake valley and need a quality tune, it's a no-brainer... hit him up! Even if you're not local, he will spend lots of time to get your tune right. Dude is a champ! Go get your tune now!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I have had my MY10 LGT e-tuned by Logan recently. Have been meaning to post a review but have been tied up.

Mods: Racer-X coated TMIC (deserves a mention as Logan thinks this is the reason car can hold boost a bit longer due to less restriction), Turbosmart Kompact 34mm BOV.

Here is what I said in the Gen V forums.

Logan's e-tune is the best mod and the best bang for buck mod we have done so far to the GT. Betters tyres are second then RSB third (RSB is second in BFB). The car is an absolute pleasure to drive now, it accelerates very linearly and the amount of torque found in the mid range is constantly surprising. Most of our driving is now in "I" mode with the occasional "S" or "S#" bursts.

Haven't had the car on the dyno but the feel and logging data shows the improvement in boost curve, loads reached and MAF flow rates. Tune is very safe. Response times were excellent too. He also had the patience to work through a boost leak I developed due to the throttle body hose leaking.

Can't thank Logan enough for the time and work he put into it.

• 1 month later...
As you have probably noticed :) I (311logan311) am now user name McDowell Performance Tuning and am an official vendor on the forum again. Offering OS and AP tunes and etunes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived