LegacyGT.com

what is needed to tune a 2005 legacy 2.5i

2005legacy2.5i

Let me know how it goes as well Ian, I have the same setup as you, and if dschultz ends up needing more testers I can jump in as well.

Dschultz is the guy who created the ROM definition for me on the ROMRAIDER forums, it's "done" and ready for anyone who can use it to jump in!

I got my 1st revision to try from my tuner, the logs were taken back before the ROM was defined in August though, and my software/hardware isn't jiving at the moment so I think I'll have to re-install everything and won't get to try this tune till mid-next week at this point.:(

I'm super excited to see what it feels like though!

I'll just use this thread to post updates, as it already has an audience with similar interests.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the DBW tables edited with a phatbotti tune? I cant seem to find any info on whether they do it or not.

Dschultz is the guy who created the ROM definition for me on the ROMRAIDER forums, it's "done" and ready for anyone who can use it to jump in!

Does this mean I should get a cable now, they can tune me!?!?

Are the DBW tables edited with a phatbotti tune? I cant seem to find any info on whether they do it or not.

Does this mean I should get a cable now, they can tune me!?!?

My understanding is that yes, the DBW tables are altered when phatbotti tunes a car, but best to direct that question directly to the tuner.

The cable is $15 on extremedeal.com, I can't say if the definitions for my auto car will work on your manual one or not, but it only took about 3 weeks for Dschultz to get something thrown together for me on the ROMRAIDER forums, for opensource freeware, that's amazing turnaround time!

Also, we should all wait until we get 3 or more people interested so we can take advantage of group buy pricing. On NASIOC phatbotti mentioned that 3 people would be $125, 5 would be $100, etc. Pricing is normally $150 for an N/A tune, so $50 bucks off would be awesome.

I'll be ready in a week when the cable comes if anyone else is interested.

Would I be correct in saying that I technically don't need to use romraider for anything as long as someone else is doing the tuning for me?

I just need to read my .hex file using ecuflash, send it out, get it back, then reflash using the revised file..right?

Nvm...forgot about datalogging.

This one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37635

cheaper than any you can get on ebay.

2005Legacy2.5i: What header did you put on? Does it leak at the header to cat flange?

Also, use phatbotti so we can do a group buy! cheap $$$$

Burnout, I used these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180558270804&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_3477wt_892 as far as I can tell they are not leaking, the job of doing the headers with out having air tools and a hack would be damn near impossible. I should have done a write up but too late. I had to disconnect from the mid pipe forward to cut rusty bolts. 02 sensor plugs suck, the aftermarket headers need to be bent away from each other or they don't go on. I thought the job would take my friend and I 2 hours, oh no it was 4 to 4 and a half hours of solid work.

But it sounds great! :wub:

Well I ordered my cable, and I'm down for a tune whenever it comes. (dealextreme is always really slow....)

Does anyone know if once we get a tune from phatbotti, if we want a retune they're done for free, or some kind of deal?

Not sure if I will have time to get headers before a tune, so would be good to get it retuned after.

This one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37635

cheaper than any you can get on ebay.

The VAGCOM cable only works for pre-canbus vehicles, so for an '09 I believe you NEED to use the tactrix cable.

I am using Phatbotti for my tuner, to answer whoever asked me that.

Sulk: under the group buy pricing, a retune is $20 I believe, check the thread on NASIOC to be sure.

So in terms of taxtrix vs vag-com, what's so much better with tactrix? Software?

Tactrix is far more expensive, and required for certain years, but works with all of them. If your year car requires the taxtrix (can-bus protocal), then that's the one you get. If you are pre-can-bus, then you have the choice of cables. Some people have a hard time getting the VAGCOM cable to work, and find the tactrix more user-friendly, I got it to work fine, but now I can't, lol. I'm going to reinstall all the software when I get a chance and get this new ROM on the car and try it out.

Yeah, I had some ebay headers before and almost killed myself getting them on. For me, they wouldn't even bolt up to the cat portion without disconnecting it from the transmission bracket. If you've got pics of it installed i'd love to see, if not, no worries :)

yea I had to disconnect the cat from the mid pipe and drag it out from underneath the car to saw off some rusty bolts.

DSC_0053.thumb.jpg.947ac135756a56a5b05cd3886d00fc97.jpg

DSC_0056.thumb.jpg.ac9c11363ca89ff4e4a49ccaf6b2b71f.jpg

o damn! if infamous will do a gb id rather go with him for sure. hope my cable gets here soon...

Thanks for the pics btw, makes me more confident the newer headers will bolt up to the stock cat without an issue. my older ones didn't come close.

Same here.

Have you ever thought/ priced out what it would cost to have a muffler shop fab up a 2.5in pipe from cat to axle back? Now that I have the rumble I want to hear it haha.

I think the pipe already is 2.5"? Maybe 2.25, but either way I wouldn't recommend doing a resonator delete. Keep the resonator and get new cans out back.

The catback makes awful sounds without the resonator. Maybe it was just me, or maybe someone can back me up on this.

IanB: Get tuned yet?

IanB: Get tuned yet?

I played around with it for a bit tonight, got the logger working again, but can't get it to read my ecu, so I won't be trying to flash for the 1st time till that gets sorted out. I'll likely play around with it some more on Sunday, no time till then.:spin:

Archived