LegacyGT.com

Winter tire recommendation

fatbastard

^ And to extend that, if the tires are "Performance Winters," why does ice traction matter so much?

It would be snow and wet to be weighed the most, like with ADAC, I'd think.

Good thing that the ADAC results are due. I'm going nuts, here..... :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't figure out why they tested the Continental Winter Contact TS830P. AFAIK, it is not available in the USA for purchase. In last years ADAC testing, it was a top performer, but the Nokian WRg2 was a middle of the pack performer. In the CR test, that ranking is reversed.

...........I suppose it's because CR weights the first two categories (snow traction & ice braking) so much.

found this posted by a CR staffer at their tire forum:

"The tire ratings are weighted for calculation of the overall score. For winter tires, snow and ice braking are weighted heavily as this is the reason most people buy these tires. Then comes dry and wet braking, handling, and hydroplaning resistance. Ride comfort, noise, and rolling resistance have a relatively light weighting. ..........................................................

Tires are listed by the exact placement in overall score. Ratings are defined by a statistical process, not the overall score. The overall score is a good tool to quickly view relative rank order, but the ratings tell the story of a tire model's strengths and weaknesses."

The ranking of the Nokian Hakka R is even more of a mystery.:confused:

Weird. I'll have to be less sleepy to digest the statistical thing....

But as for how they weighed the data, it really doesn't make much sense. Who in their right mind would get a "Performance Winter" for ice?

Who would rate dry-clear performance above wet-clear performance or hydroplane (slush?) resistance? It's not like snow ever melts, right?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I have Goodyear Ultragrip Performance tires and I like them. Used them in Winnipeg Canada for a season and they seemed a good compromise between performance, wear, and winter grip (my biggest concern was better grip in icy conditions). Better than an all season, obviously not quite as grippy as a full out, mushy (smile) winter tire.

When it's warm I use Dunlop Z1 star specs and they're a superb summer performance tire.

I'll take CR ratings seriously when they present the results in a transparent way. That is showing braking distances, lap times, lateral g's achieved etc., also specify where they tested, at what temperatures, tire size, on what car and who was driving, how many times, was ABS used or not. Of-course this will never happen, since typical CR reader's head will explode from that much info. Before that I'll stick to reading European tire tests, even though some tire models there won't make it here, and some will be just different.

Well think about it.. I'm running studs for like 4 months and it is winter time. Plus I got a good deal on them because they were slightly used. I didn't originally want studs but with virtually brand new snow tires mounted on rims for $300 why wouldn't I put up with a little extra noise during the winter?

its ok to sacrifice a little noise for lots of safety...my harmon kardon makes a little noise :lol: but i did have those good years on my integra gsr and lancer and i must say i love em...when i lived in the burbs, i remember taking turns without slipping at 25-30 mph just to see how fast it can take turns with snow/ice thats with the legacy of course...its nearly double the price of the Hankooks but its well worth it

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Heya Bovesnh1, hope you're still tracking this thread! :)

Let's go back a few pages, to page 2: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145369&page=2 - specifically, posts 25 through 28....

And:

This is 2 years in a row that Blizzak has not showed up for winter ADAC testing.:confused: The last time was in 2008, with the LM25. Bridgestone has the LM30 and LM35 available in the European market, so one has to wonder why ADAC does not test them. Maybe not available in the German market??

From tyrepress.com:

"For this coming winter Bridgestone has prepared two further new-generation Blizzak cold weather tyres, both suited to the seasonal conditions in central Europe. Both tyres, the manufacturer claims, provide higher driving safety as well as environmental and economic advantages. The new Blizzak LM-30 is tuned for safety on snow and ice, with particular attention paid to wet braking, while the Blizzak LM-35 focuses on secure winter performance; Bridgestone says it delivers excellent high-speed motorway handling on both wet and dry surfaces. Both replacement market tyres have been tested by leading car manufacturers, Bridgestone adds.

The void ratio, edge density and block stiffness of each tyre’s asymmetric tread pattern is tuned to reach the tyres’ different respective performance profiles. Grip on wet and wintry surfaces is enhanced by the application of multiple advanced siping technologies across the pattern blocks, producing a larger overall contact area and edge component. This is helped by the use of a new polymer in the compound, which improves silica dispersion.

Bridgestone reports it has also made the new Blizzak tyres more environment-friendly and economical in comparison to the Blizzak LM-25 they replace. By reducing rolling resistance by up to 16 per cent through weight loss resulting from the optimisation of the carcass shape and belt package, fuel consumption has been cut by up to 2.5 per cent and CO2 emissions reduced by up to 4.5 g/km.

The LM-30 and LM-35 also reduce pass-by noise by more than 1dB and in-car noise by 2dB.

The Blizzak LM-30 targets a wide range of compact, mid-sized and family cars up to T and H speed ratings. It offers, says Bridgestone, safe all-round winter driving with maximum control on snow and ice, and the reassurance of short braking distances on slush and wet. Features of note include new “3D Washboard and slit” siping on the centre rib for extra grip and block stiffness, high edge density in the centre area for maximum bite on hard-packed snow and ice, and continuous Z-shape lugs which enhance edge effect and snow shear force in all driving directions. According to Bridgestone, test results versus its LM-25 predecessor (size 205/55 R16 on VW Golf 5 TDI) show significant gains in snow traction and braking, superior wet performance and up to 16 per cent less rolling resistance.

The Blizzak LM-35 targets high-powered cars up to V speed rating. The pattern design features four wide grooves designed to accommodate fast drainage from the contact patch and effective braking and acceleration, 3D-shaped block edges to increase resistance to hydroplaning, and a longitudinal cast groove on the shoulder blocks for maximizing cornering stability. Testing versus the LM-25 predecessor (225/45 R17 on Golf 5 TDI) confirms, says Bridgestone, the Blizzak LM-35’s active, secure driving performance with increased grip and stability at higher speeds in wet and dry. Results show rolling resistance is reduced by up to 14 per cent, with consequent benefits in fuel efficiency and emission reductions.

The two tyres will be launched in Europe from June 2009. The Blizzak LM-30 is initially available in 31 sizes from 14 to 17-inch rim sizes, with the Blizzak LM-35 available in four 16 and 17-inch sizes."

Are we going to see the LM30/35 here?

^ I know, we're annoying, aren't we? :redface:;)

Thank you! :)

Luke over at TireRack said on NASIOC that he's not expecting to see these things in their retain supply line until next season. :(

Yea understandable. If the tires were available this season we would have known about it in april of 2010 when the distributors placed their orders. So what do you think you are going to run since you have to wait another 12 months to get the new new line of Performance Blizzak's?

^ Not me! :D I was just curious. :)

I've got a new set of Pirelli Winter Carving, studded, sitting in the garage now - they're my "deep winter" set: planning to run them only between late December to mid-February, at-best. Even then, I know it's going to be overkill for 99% of the time. :lol: I'm realistic. :redface: I got them simply because I wanted to have some fun, that's all.

Soon, I'll be switching out to my near-winter-platform 3Ds. I figure that as long as I'm kinder to them than I have been during the warmer parts of our transition months, they may well last another two seasons. I typically torture the hell out of them. :)

No matter what, this should mean that I'll easily make it through this winter and the transitional months on both sides.

^ Not me! :D I was just curious. :)

I've got a new set of Pirelli Winter Carving, studded, sitting in the garage now - they're my "deep winter" set: planning to run them only between late December to mid-February, at-best. Even then, I know it's going to be overkill for 99% of the time. :lol: I'm realistic. :redface: I got them simply because I wanted to have some fun, that's all...........

Lots of tire changing in your near future. Is your pit crew ready?:lol:

Wouldn't studded tires remove your ability to have some fun?

^ Indeed, it does - one of the reasons why I've enjoyed my 3Ds so much is because they allow me to have good low-speed fun. I pretend heroics, at 5 MPH. :redface::)

More of what I meant, with regard to the studded tires, is to be able to feel secure when there's potential black-ice out. :)

Different kind of fun. :p

----

Lots of tire changing in your near future. Is your pit crew ready?:lol:

I've got Anna bench-pressing 200.

Just kidding.

But I am training her to be Hit Girl! :lol::wub:

OK, no, seriously - what's going to be a pain would be mounting/dismounting when the garage floor is already wet. I like cold, but I don't like wet and cold. Yeah, I'm no pretend Navy SEAL. :spin:

I also really need a better jack. My current $25 (1997 dollars) AutoZoneAdvanceAutoPepBoys super-specials (two) are still going strong, but I literally use both of them to get the last tire on Sara's FXT - I need about another inch of travel.

...........I also really need a better jack. My current $25 (1997 dollars) AutoZoneAdvanceAutoPepBoys super-specials (two) are still going strong, but I literally use both of them to get the last tire on Sara's FXT - I need about another inch of travel.

You need this:

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/80025/rangers_extralong_floor_jack_reaches_a_new_low.aspx

Archived