LegacyGT.com

Winter tire recommendation

fatbastard

^ There's a Harbor Freight one that I've been eying - 2 and 7/8 minimum to 20 and 1/16. $80. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recently had to give up my 97 GT:mad:. I purchased a 2009 Legacy SE and have heard conflicting answers on Minus Winter Wheel/tire sizing. My tires are 205-50-17 and the dealer says that I cannot go down to 16 or 15 inch wheels due to brake clearance. Meanwhile, the tire rack and tires direct show 16 and even 15 inch wheel packages with appropriate higher profile tires. Any recommendations? I live in Syracuse, NY so we get plenty of snow. Never had snows on my GT but tended to plow with 205-55-16 when turning (at reasonable speed). Tire rack recommends Blizzak ws 70 or Dunlop Winter sport 3d. I was looking at General Arctimax or Continential Winter contact. Black base steel wheels. Any Ideas?

Well I think many may question the validity of TR's test data but I have never heard anyone having a problem with fitting something they indicate fits. So unless you have upgraded brakes (non stock) I wouldn't hesitate to get something smaller from them. As for tire choice that is really dependent on what you need. Some are better in deep powder or ice or in the wet....though many here seem to like the Michelin X-ice. I think I may end up with the General's mainly because I am trying to watch the budget and anyone that has had them had positive things to say. SO I think I will give them a shot.

• 4 years later...

Good time of year to dig this thread up actually.

I'm shopping for a set of winter tires due to a job change and must make EVERY attempt to be there when scheduled.

Thinking of just ponying up for the General's, since my local mechanic will mount & balance all 4 on my OEM rims for 44 bucks, ($11/tire).

Then a fresh pair for springtime, since my Conti's are about toast.

Digging up an old thread sorry, I can get a great deal on some snow tires but they are size 225/50/17 instead of 205/50/17.. Is it a bad idea to think these will fit on the stock set up? If not shuckkkks!:lol:

make sure you use a tire calculator. Those will be a decent bit larger than stock.

Good time of year to dig this thread up actually.

I'm shopping for a set of winter tires due to a job change and must make EVERY attempt to be there when scheduled.

Thinking of just ponying up for the General's, since my local mechanic will mount & balance all 4 on my OEM rims for 44 bucks, ($11/tire).

Then a fresh pair for springtime, since my Conti's are about toast.

General Altimax Artics are great tires and the best budget snow tire I've found.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived