LegacyGT.com

Dodge Gets A New Logo??? Opinions...

As a former Dodge owner and forever Dodge fanboy, I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I always liked Dodge. Their advertising strategy, their model lineup, their concepts, their styling, their designs, their persistence (Always down but never out), and their cunning ability to claw their way back from the brink of defeat everytime they're down. I admire Dodge, even though their transmissions can crap out early, their interiors are likely to fall apart, their entire air conditioner systems are practically disposable, and the fact that they insist on trying to market an expensive car to a demographic who can't afford it, they still have a place in my heart.

However, their recent merger with Fiat has brought about some changes. Some are good, like the push to complete their high output direct injected V6, the introduction of a more powerful SRT8 package, their move to an 8 speed Mercedes automatic transmission for 2011 in their Charger based vehicles, and their recent marketing tweaks. Some, however, are not so good. Like the end of the Dodge Viper, the closure of an engine plant to make way for a Fiat engine plant, their move to improve fuel efficiency and plans to make more compact cars.

So, on to the topic of their recent change in logos. For those of you who don't already know, Dodge has been divided into two different divisions recently... RAM for trucks, and Dodge for cars/crossovers/everything else. The RAM line gets the same old Ram head logo (You know, the one that shares semblance to the female reproductive organs), while the regular old Dodge line gets this new logo..... In short, The model that used to be known as the "Dodge Ram 1500" is now just a "RAM 1500." RAM is the brand name, 1500 is the model name. Instead of a "Dodge Dakota," they're now calling it a "RAM Dakota." Cars, vans, SUV's, and crossovers remain unchanged. Its kind of like having a GMC Sierra, you know its still made by Chevy, and your money is still going to the same persons pocket, its just got a different badge.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/09/500x_new_dodge_logo_2.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/09/340x_dodge_logo_rendering.jpg

My guess is that the new logo is supposed to represent the Dodge crosshair design. Anyone familiar with Dodge vehicles knows that the term "Crosshairs" refers to the design of the conventional Dodge grill. The Viper, Charger, Caravan, Nitro, and Avenger are great examples of the Dodge Crosshairs. The new logo seems to represent the crosshairs, at least in my eyes. I kind of like the new design, but at the same time I think it could be better. I know that with corporate advertising schemes I'm going to wind up seeing it until I wind up liking it, but for the time being I'm still not completely satisfied. Its going to have to grow on me before I'll make it my computer background like I used to do with the old logo.

Discuss.....

Ram is stupid for a brand name (and I own a Dodge Ram); the public is not confused by having both cars and trucks being manufactured by the same company. I think the new logo is garbage, using the old font and some random crap to fill in their desired badge shape. They could have used "the shocker" symbol with the word Dodge and it'd have exactly the same impact it does now.

I've been giving people hell about their "fallopian tube" Dodge stickers for 20 years :D

However, their recent merger with Fiat has brought about some changes. Some are good, like the push to complete their high output direct injected V6, the introduction of a more powerful SRT8 package, their move to an 8 speed Mercedes automatic transmission for 2011 in their Charger based vehicles, and their recent marketing tweaks. Some, however, are not so good. Like the end of the Dodge Viper, the closure of an engine plant to make way for a Fiat engine plant, their move to improve fuel efficiency and plans to make more compact cars.

Discuss.....

Dodge (Chrysler), in recent years made some horrible cars and some decent ones. I only see the 8 speed gearbox for Charger based vehicles as a step forward but we should also be reminded of the fact that the car itself rides on an old MB E-Series platform (more like 3 generations old) and that's not quite good enough to keep up with the times.

What is wrong with improving fuel economy ? When was that EVER a bad thing ? Especially when their cars weigh hundreds of pounds more than a comparable sized JDM/Euro car ?

And then the relationship with Mercedes is something that I question. Not sure if they will in fact carry that Merc tranny. I've been following the details on the new Jeep and till last year, they had a diesel available (in Canada and rest of the world not USA) and that engine was a MB Bluetec 3.0 L diesel. And that got discontinued, with a rumored Italian "VM Motori" replacement. Which makes more sense since they are now owned by FIAT and not the Germans.

Viper did not sell. Why keep something in the lineup that does not sell ? It is still pretty much the same car, engine mods aside, that came out about 2 decades ago. They've gotta sit back and rethink the car. Simple as that.

And then back to Jeep. I really liked when there were just two models available: Grand Cherokee and Liberty. Fine keep Commander at the huge end and Wrangler at the low end. But they have 2 too many: Compass and Patriot. They should be sold, if anything , under the Dodge name.

I don't mind it, don't love it, don't hate it. Dodge's problem is that they don't offer manual in enough cars, I guess the demand for manual cars are dying. I would be in a charger in seconds if it had a 5 or 6mt. I mean they offer it on the challenger, why not the 300c or Charger?

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/7uperman/dodge.jpg

Yeah now that you mention it... Grew up in a city, so dodge was something you saw ranked 4th in magazine "shootouts," and nowhere else.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Hell, I don't care for Subaru's dumb stars either.

If their name was Big Dipper Motorcars, wouldn't you expect their logo to be the big dipper? Instead they happen to be named after the Pleiades constellation so naturally it's their logo too. At least it's not just an oval with their name in the center.

I think you hit the nail on the head though - they're focusing on the wrong area. You don't improve a company by changing its logo. You improve it by changing its product.

Wait. No more Viper? Crap. That means they'll get a lot more expensive, and I'll have to buy used :(
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Dodge (Chrysler), in recent years made some horrible cars and some decent ones. I only see the 8 speed gearbox for Charger based vehicles as a step forward but we should also be reminded of the fact that the car itself rides on an old MB E-Series platform (more like 3 generations old) and that's not quite good enough to keep up with the times.

But its less expensive than updating the chassis with a newer Mercedes chassis, or designing one from the ground up. At least the Charger based cars have independent rear suspension, something Ford really needs to discover for the Mustang. Considering the size, weight, and most importantly the price range of the Charger based cars, I think the chassis does well enough. From what I've read it seems they could use some tougher springs, harder bushings, and fatter sway bars but what car couldn't benefit from those things?

What is wrong with improving fuel economy ? When was that EVER a bad thing ? Especially when their cars weigh hundreds of pounds more than a comparable sized JDM/Euro car ?

Improving fuel economy isn't what concerns me. What concerns me is the thought of Dodge making rebranded Fiat 500 hatchbacks here in the states. As a former Dodge owner myself and a Dodge fanboy, the last thing I want is Dodge making the little 1.2L Fiat 500 with a crosshair grill.

And then the relationship with Mercedes is something that I question. Not sure if they will in fact carry that Merc tranny. I've been following the details on the new Jeep and till last year, they had a diesel available (in Canada and rest of the world not USA) and that engine was a MB Bluetec 3.0 L diesel. And that got discontinued, with a rumored Italian "VM Motori" replacement. Which makes more sense since they are now owned by FIAT and not the Germans.

Viper did not sell. Why keep something in the lineup that does not sell ? It is still pretty much the same car, engine mods aside, that came out about 2 decades ago. They've gotta sit back and rethink the car. Simple as that.

Sure, it was underpowered for its size. Yeah, it was uncomfortable to sit in. Sure, it was totally impractical. But it was also a landmark. Dodge didn't make the Viper for profits. They made it for prestige. When it came out it was the fastest production vehicle America had ever built, and it was way more affordable than an imported European car with similar power. If they wanted to make money they wouldn't have built each Viper by hand, in its own small shop completely separated from the rest of Dodge. It was an icon, unfortunately they never really took the car to the next level. They could have made 900 HP with the Viper without forced induction if they wanted to raise the price, but they got too confident. Then Chevy released the new Vette (Cheaper, more comfy, better reputation, more practical, easier to drive). Then they ran out of money.

And then back to Jeep. I really liked when there were just two models available: Grand Cherokee and Liberty. Fine keep Commander at the huge end and Wrangler at the low end. But they have 2 too many: Compass and Patriot. They should be sold, if anything , under the Dodge name.

I kind of agree with this. Although I think they should keep three models... The Wrangler, the Grand Cherokee, and the Commander. The Wrangler is a staple of Jeep. Even though it no longer carries the legendary Jeep 4.0L I6 based off the AMC I6, the Wrangler is still one of the most easily recognizable cars in America. The Wrangler is like the American Land Rover. To discontinue the Wrangler would be mindless. The Liberty is hideous, and as far as I'm concerned it marked the death of the Jeep I6 when it debuted with a 3.7L V6 rather than the standard issue Jeep 4 liter.

If their name was Big Dipper Motorcars, wouldn't you expect their logo to be the big dipper? Instead they happen to be named after the Pleiades constellation so naturally it's their logo too. At least it's not just an oval with their name in the center.

I think you hit the nail on the head though - they're focusing on the wrong area. You don't improve a company by changing its logo. You improve it by changing its product.

Eh from what I know of branding (more than a little), this is a good move. Their trucks' image is very much the opposite of where a lot of their other vehicles are positioned, as far as brand image goes. MOST car buyers are brand sensitive as much as quality/performance sensitive, or more, and Dodge has become very diverse in its range. Putting the mighty swinging dick truck in the same clothes as the neon is not good for either, for instance. Marketing departments and branding consultancies tend to be incredibly smart, even at a company as bad as Chrysler.

Won't fix the cars or the company, but it's not designed to. However, it does indicate someone at the top of the company is not satisfied with the status quo. Finally.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You guys are all missing the point:

The Ram Brand and The Dodge Brand separation is not about making them two different names alone...it is about separating them in preparation for selling them off.

Ram by itself is worth more than having Dodge cars strapped to its' back when they sell it.

As for Compass/Patriot...believe it or not we sell them....not many but we do sell them..mostly to folks who can't afford a Grand Cherokee but still have to have a "Jeep".

As for Viper..bad idea to dump that I believe...iconic is the right word for sure. We have two of them on the lot right now and they will be gone soon enough....we sell 4-6 of them per year, usually to someone who already owns a Viper...and guess what? They don't trade the old one.

Archived