LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

Sears charged my wife and I (then girlfriend) $60 to take her Passat from mostly green to all red on the printout. I made them give us our money back.

Worst case scenario, take the car to a Subaru dealer. The ones in MD that I know of all have laser-equipped Hunter Alignment Racks. A monkey can do a halfway decent alignment on one of those. I do my own alignments on an older Hunter rack with amazing results. All it takes is time. Find a technician who cares, and it'll get done right.

You could also check the Cali section of Nasioc for recommendations.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annapolis Subaru seems performance-oriented. Maybe I'll try them next time.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• Mega Users
I don't know of any up there, but a good tip is to search the forums for tire shops that are involved in autoX or something similar. If they know how to set up a car for any kind of race, then they should know what they are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

I am about to do the same swap this weekend. I have KYB Gr2 Legacy GT struts and brand new Stock OEM Legacy GT springs. I also got the LGT rear bumpstops.

Does anyone know if the front strut bumpstops are a different part number from the LGT to the OBXT? If not the same, are they just shorter? How much shorter?

Also, I have 18x8 rims with 48mm offset. Has anyone that has done this swap use these rim dimensions? Can I use 235/45/18 tires? What about 245/45/18? Will they fit under the LGT perch in the front?

Alot of questions I know, thanks in advance to anyone that has had these

experiences and can share.

Someone was talking about the Spec B suspension being the same height as the regular Legacy suspension.

Are the spring perches in the same position? Would it be possible to put Spec B sedan suspension on the Outback? I seem to recall the back sitting lower with the Spec B suspension too...

Edited by ssbtech

outbackxt05, I went to my local Subi dealer for the alignment. Have you gotten your alignment done yet?

Rix, 235 will be pushing it, let alone 245. Not sure how it will be with your wheels and offset though. The standard 225/45 17's for the outback are REALLY close to the front spring perches as it is.

ssbtech, you'd need a different rear setup from the Specb anyway since the specB is sedan only. (someone correct me if i'm wrong) Unless you have an outback sedan of course.

Duff, The stock tire size is 225/55-17. The 225/45-18's are .75" smaller in rolling diameter at the same width as stock. 235/45-18's are .5" smaller and a little wider. I put my hand behind the tire when the 225/45-18's were installed and felt all kinds of room to the perch above the tire and all the way down the perch to the strut itself. 235's will be fine. They will be my next size. 245's might be too clozse and not worth the risk.....although they are very, very close to the stock rolling diameter.

No alignment yet. Been a bit busy lately but this week end itll get done. I am happy with the swap overall and I know once the alignment it done itll be a lot better. The rears are noticeabley toed in. Dont need to measure it to see it. So i know thats my main problem. It has mellowed out though so im looking forward to getting it all lined up.

Does anyone know if the front strut bumpstops are a different part number from the LGT to the OBXT? If not the same, are they just shorter? How much shorter?

'20501AE00A is the part number for the rear bump stops' From This Thread, there is a picture as well..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

No, it is on regular jack stands farther towards the front of the car. The factory jack is just holding the spindle up.

Ok good, I've seen worse but was hoping in this case it was just out of view.

Pocono Pines eh? I'm over in Albrightsville a couple times per winter. That's when I'm looking for more ground clearance.

http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/45644/2431625760052327601S600x600Q85.jpg

245 45 18's fit fine with 48 offset there has been quite a few on the forum that have done it.

What wheel width?

I want, desperately, to run a 245/55/17 on STi BBS rims.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

lol, yeah, I did this mod before I knew we were moving here lol...we were in Arkansas

I was driving behind an Outback sedan a couple days ago and it got my mind spinning on how awesome that would be for winter setup. I went from my truck being the ski beast with more ground clearance, deeper lug tires, and steel bumper to the Leggy that I have to think about that snow plow mound, and the pretty paint.

Hope you like snow! This was last year, after it had settled... and yes I had to dig two vehicles worth, by hand, because my friends wrist was broken. Theres still like 4" packed under my car, and his Infiniti is ramped up on probably 8".

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8721/2663879170052327601S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Shotokan1509

lol, yeah, I did this mod before I knew we were moving here lol...we were in Arkansas

Don't worry about the clearance, I don't have issues with my LGT on STI pinks which drops it 1cm lower from stock. You might want to get some winter tires though.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Hey I would like to do the opposite with my 05 GT I would like to swap out the GT susp and put the outback struts in. Has anyone done this or know anyone who has? Is it possible? Looking for some clues? Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

I wouldnt recommend it, the outback suspension is way under damped, and it floats all over the road even when new. Maybe if you could find aftermarket shocks and struts it would be good but not stock.

If it is height you want get the BC/BR coilovers made for outback (only difference is the have longer shock cartridges) and you can go stock lgt height or outback height whenever you want.