LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

So, let's say I convert 09 Outback suspension to Legacy. Has anyone compared Bilstein HD to stock Legacy strut dimensions? If even lower: no go. If Bilstein strut is longer: extra points.

Personally I would like 1" lowering from stock Outback, and having full Outback travel minus 1". In other words, if I give up 1" of ride height, I want to give up only 1" of travel.

I think Bimmer also asked for splitting the difference on travel. Having $2500 for a BTS kit burning a hole in my pocket would solve everything (except sway & uneven caster on my OB). OK. maybe $3000???? Can't do it. But Bilstein HD's and SOME springs and a few odds and ends, might be possible.

PS, is this the thread to watch on Legacy struts for Outback, or is there another?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bilsteins are the same dimensions as the stock struts. The Spec-B top hats add 5/8" up front and stock spec-b springs are shorter by this much to compensate. At least that's what I've been able to get together.

Supposedly, the Bilstein HD's have the same amount of travel as the stock struts for the Legacy sedan/wagon. Looking at Duffman's pictures, it looks like the ride height difference is ALL in perch height, so the travel of an Outback strut is going to be the same as a Legacy strut, just slightly higher.

OutbackXT05 - I was wondering the same thing, but ended up just ordering some SpecB rear top hats, just in case.

My goal is, like Duffman, to be at stock LGT Wagon wheel gap.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I don't think I'm at stock LGT wheel gap. I haven't really been able to compare next to a LGT wagon though. I believe it's due to the subframe spacers that the Outback has.

I don't mind a little extra clearance though.

So I'm going to get rid of my 05 LGT and keep my 07 OBK XT. I think I'm going to run 225/45/17 with 17x8 wheels on it (I know, they're not spec). I'm also going to try to put either h-techs or swift springs on it. Do you guys think this will bring it down to Legacy wagon height or lower?

Please ignore the dirt... :icon_wink

As mentioned 245/45/18. The speedo is off by +0.5mph according to my GPS.

Pictures:

Front and rear wheel shots for spacing. OBXT riding on BC Racing LGT spec coilovers. Wheels are 18x7.5 +48offset and tires are 245/45-18, nothing rubs.

front.jpg.4e8cbc338c5e430de1e78a14c9485f84.jpg

rear.jpg.1e5cc684205f4faeeb82829cfee9dab9.jpg

right.jpg.b059620c05f337d6cef1df965812f7eb.jpg

left.jpg.8cb621573d8e411fe1ea41c39cb71350.jpg

Edited by dschultz
add description

Back tot the alignment - #40 - Camber went in the wrong direction, and toe is better, but uneven. Edited by OhBe1
Lack of sufficient coffee...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 weeks later...
Well i finally got around to doing this conversion myself and i must say MAJOR PITA when everything is all nice and rusted. I Was also mising the top part that the front springs rest on so i had to steal that from the outbacks coil overs. I love the look now but i have a few minor issues with it. The smallest issue is that the front drivers tires rubs ever so slightly at low speed when turning right. IT nothing huge just makes a light squeeky noise. Another thing is that the drivers side of the car sits lower than the passanger car. I dont know if thats the way its supposed to be or not but eh. I did notice that the ride seems quite a bit stiffer though. I like it but wouldve liked it more if it was alot smoother. And lastly which is my biggest concern to fix is that going over rougher terrain/bumbs and what not at higher speeds the car seems to move side to side. following a path like this. --_--_--_-- moves side to side. What would i need to fix that? a new sway bar? But overall Im very pleased with it. Looks and handles sooooo much better

Did you align the car?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I didnt get the car aligned quite yet. And ill snap some pics today. The tires are the stock outback size. And like i said with the rubbing its so little of a rub i almost dont even care about it. The only time it does it is wen im hardly moving and turn my wheel to the right when i park. Thats the only time it does it

• Mega Users

Does anyone have any insight as to how this setup will work on snow/ice compared to the stock xt suspension?

I want to improve the dry handling because it is horrid, but I will soon be doing the majority of my driving in constant rain/ice/snow. I'm concerned that switching to the spec B legacy suspension or the legacy bilstein setup will make it worse in the snow or mild offroad driving.

Any personal experience with these scenarios here?

Sorry i didnt throw a before pic up there but heres one now and then also the wheel gap that I have on the wheel that rubs. And looking at the old before pics I dont even remember it looking that lifted lol. It looks rediculous before now looking at it lowered.

DSCF0771.thumb.jpg.17c3faff8765fd81cc7473f0199750a2.jpg

DSCF0773.thumb.jpg.e8177ceac9873d69e9512e09f0e69d12.jpg

DSCF0795.thumb.jpg.49ea4d7e06f85f7a27f1d4f6093f4c4d.jpg

Edited by OutbackXT05

I didnt get the car aligned quite yet.

200% of your problem, right there. Get the car aligned, then see what you think.

Does anyone have any insight as to how this setup will work on snow/ice compared to the stock xt suspension?

I want to improve the dry handling because it is horrid, but I will soon be doing the majority of my driving in constant rain/ice/snow. I'm concerned that switching to the spec B legacy suspension or the legacy bilstein setup will make it worse in the snow or mild offroad driving.

I drove my extra-lowered Outback through the worst blizzard that we've seen in a decade. No problem at all.

FWIW, my LGT wagon is on pinks + bilstein which drops it about 1/2 inch compared to stock LGT wagon suspension. No problems through New England winters, and I live in woods where they plow when they can get to it :lol: I do have dedicated winter wheel + tire set though.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• Mega Users

Good to know! I will likely go with the bilstein setup. I'm moving to the Seattle area and have absolutely no snow/ice driving experience, so I want to make sure I'm not hurting handling in severe conditions by doing the swap.

My wheel gap is disturbing, so I would rather go with a legacy setup than search for an OB setup. I see no reason to keep the ride height for my usage. I chose the OBXT because of the deal I got on it, not the ride height. I would have gladly gotten a Legacy GT wagon.

Any spring recommendations with the bilsteins for keeping it comfortable on the road with lots of grip? It can't be harsh at all as it's my daily driver/children transporter.

So I went to sears because my mom had some stuff she wanted to do there while I got the alignment done. And all I have to say is wow. 3 Hours just for them to tell me that they cant do my alignment because my bolts are too rusted in. And now both my tires rub and the drivers side one rubs worse. So whats the best place you guys have been to for an alignment? I knew sears was going to be sub par but not that bad

• Mega Users
I had them do an alignment on my former mini. I went in with it veering slightly left and eating tires. I left with it veering twice as much, but to the right. When I went back to have them fix it, they ended up putting it back to it's original left veering state. I gave up and went to a tire shop.

Ya i know im never going to sears again for any car work. Both my wheels rub now and the drivers side is worse. The car doesnt veer worse that it did before. It goes to the right ever so slightly. But another thing that bugs me is my steering wheel is off center now. So to a good tire shop i guess. Any idea on an awsome one?