LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

It's a $15000 motor, stock. My legacy is worth less than that, and is almost as fast.

I didn't mean using the whole LS7 engine, just the dry sump bits. But after furthur googling, I guess you need quite a few LS7 parts to use the OEM dry sump setup on another LS engine.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With GTO oil pan there is no advantage to going dry sump unless you're going to do some serious track racing. Even then...

"Climber Dees GYMKANA"

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Geometric repositioning of the rack isn't going to happen, unless you manufacture your own front knuckles with a modified ball joint pickup location. Trying to bolt things to the existing ball joint locations to extend the pickups is a disaster waiting to happen. If you want ideal steering, the steering rack can only be in exactly one place. Move it, steering will suffer. No real workarounds for that.

Doing an LSX swap to RWD is almost a bolt-in affair, though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

well if you move the entire crossmember down it should be ok. i might move mine down 1/2" just to make a bit of room so i can put some softer motor mounts in.

Even then, can Porsche 930CVs handle 500wtq at (random guess: 22* offset)?

QUOTE]

To answer that question, Rob Moore Nitro Drivlines did some special broching on the axles they made for us using Porsche CV's, we were looking at 1400+whp and somewhere around 900+ ftlbs. I'm sure if you called them they could help you out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

had some car trouble this morning, started in -24 c this morning let it warm up as i was eating breaky .

half mile down the road it stalls ..

start it up and runs rough and boost gauge all twitchy.

drove back.. pulled the valve covers off.. found a broken valve spring.

changed it out took 20 min and continued back to work.

weird there comp cams springs rated for 700" lift and i'm only using .500 lift cam.

ah well

had some car trouble this morning, started in -24 c this morning let it warm up as i was eating breaky .

half mile down the road it stalls ..

start it up and runs rough and boost gauge all twitchy.

drove back.. pulled the valve covers off.. found a broken valve spring.

changed it out took 20 min and continued back to work.

weird there comp cams springs rated for 700" lift and i'm only using .500 lift cam.

ah well

Its funny, it takes some people that long to change a spare tire or install an air filter. Congrats on being baller when it comes to engines / automobiles.

I don't know about the V6 springs, but there was an issue on LS1tech.com where people were having lots of trouble when Comp switched to a cheaper manufacturer of springs, at the expense of reliability.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I don't know about the V6 springs, but there was an issue on LS1tech.com where people were having lots of trouble when Comp switched to a cheaper manufacturer of springs, at the expense of reliability.

haha they were ls1 after matket springs !

• 4 weeks later...

so installed the warbro 255 pump :)

then decided to go up on the boost after a year of taking it easy .. and holy shit !

it started spining in 2nd gear before it even got to 20 psi. !! ehheheheheh this is some fun shit !

Was looking at 6.2L L92 with VVT, but the only way to manage it is either convert to GM Pedal / pedal sensor, or do cable throttle with megasquirt (MS3x has no issue doing one cam phaser). Leaning to megasquirt. Every day the dream gets a little more real.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Was looking at 6.2L L92 with VVT, but the only way to manage it is either convert to GM Pedal / pedal sensor, or do cable throttle with megasquirt (MS3x has no issue doing one cam phaser). Leaning to megasquirt. Every day the dream gets a little more real.

Really? A 6.2L V8 in an LGT? Wow.. Man, I gotta move to Texas :lol:

Oddly it was this Canadian who turned me on to American engines, nothing to do with Texas. And, inadvertently, Rao. I still don't own a MIG welder, so I'm not near doing this. But it's top of my mind every day. I get obsessed...

Frank_ster did you ever find a solution to sufficiently trick the stock ECU into thinking the EJ engine is still there?

As I understand it, car requires the following to start and be content:

-EJ255 Crank trigger and sensors.

-EJ255 Cam trigger and sensor (will zero out AVCS table. also had idea to double the pattern on a EJ255-style cam sensor wheel so it can run same speed as crank trigger. something like that.

-Accelerator position sensor? (It should be possible to double up sensors on a custom single pedal, thus allowing GM APP sensor as well to make GM PCM happy and allow GM DBW TB, which would be easier).

-Throttle position sensor? (This one would be a real pain to fool. may just have to leave it plugged in and doing nothing somewhere out of the way. any idea whether the car will run without it? (I assume no) I know you use the stock Subaru DBW parts for your 3.8L swap, but wondering about alternatives).

-MAF? Did the trans shift alright in backup speed density mode with MAF unplugged?

-I imagine everything else (MAP, Coolant temp, etc) is easy.

THANKS!

^ for the above.. i recomend getting a 2.5i ecu and simply moving about 5 wires on the connectors including power fuel pump and some thing else.

using the subaru throttble body and drive by wire system, the drive by wire has a throttle position feed back that i conneected my megasquirt into.

reconnect stock maf and and scale to make fuel consumption gauge correct.

reconnect stock map reconnect stock coolant sensor and crank sensor placed some where on the crank or flywheel with a laser cut or hand made sheet metal triggor wheel.

stock subaru starter for the automatics for manual tranny probably need to use the engines starter. this will allow stock cluster and cruse control to work.

if you have auto and want to go stand alone tranny controler use 2.5i from a mt. so the car will think its manual.

1) Did you have success with the 2.5i ecu?

I have concerns that some of the items on the CAN network will not like the 2.5i ECU...

3) Standalone TCU would be one heck of a lot easier to deal with, since things like MAF would no longer matter. LS engines don't love to spin to 6700rpm, but it can be done with valve springs.

Machining Subaru trigger wheel pattern into flex plate ring would be so sweet.

To clarify what you said, the stock Subaru's TB has the TPS sensor wire split to go to both Subaru ECU and Megasquirt?

1) Did you have success with the 2.5i ecu?

I have concerns that some of the items on the CAN network will not like the 2.5i ECU... why not ? maybe the 5 eat tcu it won't like. but everything else is the same.

3) Standalone TCU would be one heck of a lot easier to deal with, since things like MAF would no longer matter. LS engines don't love to spin to 6700rpm, but it can be done with valve springs.

Machining Subaru trigger wheel pattern into flex plate ring would be so sweet.

To clarify what you said, the stock Subaru's TB has the TPS sensor wire split to go to both Subaru ECU and Megasquirt? yep

I was under the impression there are different part numbers for things like the cluster, BIU... I need to dig into this sometime later...

Did you get a chance to test the 2.5i ecu yet?

well i pluged it in a while ago and nothing happened, then i looked at the wireing diagrams and see the few differences. and never got back to it.