LegacyGT.com

Diesel Outback?

my old dodge is diesel and I get 30+mpg and its a 3/4ton!! I also have it "turned up" a wee bit.... I would rock a Suby TDI and then mod it. I would just hope they would build a transmission that could handle triple the torque from stock. Diesels can make huge power. Think 400hp and 800lb/ft of torque..... combine that with AWD. F'n sick.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
but not wanting a VW to get it.... heard enough horror stories of reliability problems with VW in general to stay away forever.

Subaru reliability is hard to beat I'll give ya that; however VW's reliability performance has dramatically improved in recent years. My personal daily driver a MY06.5 Jetta TDI has been without drama in the context of reliability. Additionally our VW Jetta TDI is far more a sophisticated vehicle engineering wise than the Subaru will ever be. It’s the little differences.

The current platform used in the Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW vehicles is presently available in a Quattro/diesel arrangement with 6sp manual gearboxes. What’s frustrating is the Mexico Jetta TDI production, which serves both the N. America and Germany markets, also builds a Jetta/Golf Wagon TDI Quattro. We get squat! F- You VW USA.

Same chassis, Audi AG builds any number A3 2.0TDI Quattro models. … Sum of a bitches!

I’m only the messenger, but the Subi boxer diesel ain’t all that. For small displacement diesels the German’s historically rule the roost. Just wait until Honda engines puts their mind to a diesel; the development curve is going to shock the competition as Honda is a fast learn. The current Honda 2.2 diesel in Germany gets high marks, the Subi diesel not so much. The Legacy wagon diesel I drove for a week was not at all impressive. IMHO.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

^but its not a subaru with true AWD......
Yes, yes. I do like the Subaru AWD which has a rear axle bias vs. VW's 4-Motion AWD which favors the front axle.

But what are the factual differences, (er differential, couldn't resist the pun) btw the Subaru AWD and the VW 4-Motion AWD system??; The AWD used in this speciffic Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW platform where the engine is transversely mounted?? Do remember the Quattro system used else where in the VW/Audi/Porsche corporate platforms is something very different. The "Quattro" system is tier one among all others in the production car business, that there is no question,, It's light years ahead of both the Subaru AWD and the lesser VW 4-Motion offerings. I'm just saying....

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw]YouTube- Subaru AWD vs. competitors[/ame]

that video came to mind when i first made the statement

but do agree on the facts stated about the VW vs. Subaru I just havent been a fan of other awd platforms

Just MHO

Hey BenMara - and a good afternoon. Thanx for the video link,,, I luv to watch a manufactures' inspired video even this overtly baised example. The Subaru demonstration in the video appears to be straight forward; I believe in this case it is. I got a kick out of much of the chosen language. The language used,,, was by no accident I might add; terms like “Obvious potential” for one. Now there’s a conclusive phrase…

Anyway back to the demonstration. Our Subi Outback XT sees plenty of snow covered, very cold days living in Vail, CO at 8,500’ elevation. Oh Christ, The Subaru Outback is the official Colorado state car and for good reason.. As an aside, we’ve assisted our Honda CRV neighbors (like in the video) more than once when the Honda was in a snow bank…. I now know why. Many of "cute ute" SUV products acroos the manufactures board simply have the required 4x4 drive train as a marketing requirement.

My daily driver car of ten years was a MY96 Audi UrS6 wagon, a turbo mit Quattro. A set of dedicated Michelin M/S sneakers were mounted from October to April and nothing ever stopped that wagon from conquering hwy I-70 ala Vail Pass at 10,300’. The Subi OB XT AWD took over this roll in 2005. Nuff said.

Cheers, Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was just Clarkson that didn't like it, but he don't like any diesel from what I understand.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfdPqrDJJC4]YouTube- Economy race (Jaguar XJ vs Subary Legacy vs VW Polo) Top Gear [Part 1][/ame]

453747.png

From the business that I'm in, I get the luxury of driving many different types of imports. Audi AWD is great IMO but I haven't had my LGT through a winter yet so I can't compare.

As far as BMW is concerned...I HATE their traction control system on all of their cars, it sucks eggs. My brother had a 3 series through one winter, sold it and got an '05 A6 and loved it infinitely better.

I am excited to see how well the Suby does in the Utah winter. I'm sure it won't let me down :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • I Donated
A turbodiesel would be hawt but diesel is unlikely. California approves very few diesel passenger cars and most cars in America are 50 state cars is my guess but I do not work in the automotive industry or know for certain.

A lot of cars are 50 state cars, but most aftermarket parts ARE NOT. Every catalytic converter I've ever installed was "not for use in California"

Where I live, Diesel fuel costs an average of 30 cents more a gallon then gasoline does. Even though it gets better mileage then gasoline usually, people shy away from it because its more per gallon.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i don't understand a dam word these guys are saying but the drifting diesel outback throughout the video is cool LOL. i'm sure thats how my grandma would drive it LOL. i want one though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UdkUFvTw4w]YouTube - Subaru Outback 2010[/ame]

• 1 month later...

It's always possible to purchase the engine from a crashed car - or buy a crashed one as junk and use it as a donor. But in that case the wiring harness and ECU for the diesel also has to be transplanted. An interesting challenge considering that anyone doing it would have to figure out everything by himself (or herself).

Such a project would probably make this look like a walk in the park:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-subaru-beat-buick-heart-140053.html

453747.png

Archived