LegacyGT.com

Did some upgrades today then realized maybe I am too old

I suspect that only depends how much money you throw at it. Kevin at Garage Tuning now has a long list of customers on GT30-35Rs all in the 500hp range on built motors. I am sooo tempted.

I'm 44 and bought my 07 LGT 5spd because they are practical, fast and fun to drive. I love that SPT exhaust and the turbo blow off sound with the SPT cold air kit for sure. My other car is a 69 camaro LS2 420rwhp 6spd , so modding the LGT much more will never give me rush the 69 does.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Installed an SPT catback and reflashed to Cobb stage 1 today on an otherwise stock spec.b. Sound is great and for the first time the acceleration is smooth as silk. I was feeling pretty good till I looked at a poll on the polling forum (lease vs. buy and age) and noticed that there is no one in the legacygt group over age 56 (and I am almost 60!).

Should I sell this thing and get something more befitting my age? Like an old Cadillac Fleetwood or a Toyota Avalon? I am planning on going stage 2 when my warranty is up if I'm not in a nursing home by then :icon_sad:.

rick

Keep it and have some fun! My father is 69 and I'm 21. He looks and acts much younger than his age. His daily driver is a G37, but I let him take my Legacy out for the first time when it was Stage 1. I told him to have some fun and take a WOT run with it. It brought a $hit-eating grin to his face and he looked over at me and said, "This is nice, I could get myself into some trouble with this." If you're getting older, but still appreciate a good time, then why sell the car ;)!

• 2 months later...

Just got my 05 LGT Wagon a couple weeks ago...since have added K&N Typhoon CAI, trailer hitch (for mainly bike rack use), upgraded to higher wattage bulbs (which I hope aren't too much for the wires, etc.) wired in my Sirius unit, and today did the DRL and making the power outlets hot all the time mods earlier today.

Oh yeah...46 y.o. here. :)

Lehigh Valley Subaru Enthusiasts http://alturl.com/o4org

Because Station Wagon

I will be the big 6-0 next May and I love the sh-t out of my leggy GT.

I still have 5 years till the big 6-0 and I'm lovin' the sh*t outta my "B". And I don't feel even a little out of place -----real natural progression type feeling to have a relatively quick car at a time when my driving skills are tempered with knowledge and tons of experience !

(as the saying went in the '60's , I'm gonna -------"Keep On Truckin' " )

(For all you younger people....that has nothing to do with trucks............more loosely interpreted-------"Keep on going / doing what I like to do")

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

48 here...

Still diggin' on my LGT performance! Whether it's cool, neato, bitchin', bad, wicked, gnarly bad-ass or rad...

So you're saying its "your bag!".

(......another favorite '60's phrase , although usually used in the negative ; as in "that's not my bag , man " )

:) :) :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

I'll be 56 in 6 weeks. Had the wagon sideways a few times today. Still love it and plan to rebuild the engine next Spring and then go to stage 2 or more.

I have also been mufflerless since late Mar 10'

Your never to old...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I still have 5 years till the big 6-0 and I'm lovin' the sh*t outta my "B". And I don't feel even a little out of place -----real natural progression type feeling to have a relatively quick car at a time when my driving skills are tempered with knowledge and tons of experience !

I'm not quite there yet age-wise and kind of "fell" into this world of turbos. It isn't a dropped, performance GT but of all the cars I've ever owned this one is the most fun to drive. At one time I had a '66 Chevy wagon with a 327...what a frustrating waste. Last weekend I pulled out on a country road behind a souped-up old-model Malibu and it was fun to know I could keep up with him. Right now this is the only car we have so at this point I don't plan on any significant mods.

For me gaining new knowledge is part of the fun. When you quit learning things you start growing old. I'm interested in taking a driving school and one of these days I'd like to at least go out and watch an autox to see what it's all about.

Subadozer, at least pick up a Cobb AP, I did that back in Dec04 at 8000miles. Car still runs great turned 130,000 miles yesterday.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Subadozer, at least pick up a Cobb AP, I did that back in Dec04 at 8000miles. Car still runs great turned 130,000 miles yesterday.

OK time for some of that additional knowledge. I searched a few threads that I have archived for abbreviations and couldn't find 'AP'. So then I searched on 'Cobb AP' and think I have it figured as Accessport. Correct so far? From other things I've read I'm thinking this allows you to change the tune of the engine easily. Any corrections or further explanation are welcome. Where do I go to learn more?

Answered my own question.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3264

I like it. Now all I have to do is come up with the money and a sensible rational reason to add it. Maybe the new timing belt should come first though.

Yes. I just put Infamous' 3rd Stage 2 AP revision on the 05 wagon - at 100,010.

vroom.

Wow, most of you guys are old enough to be my dad. There's absolutely no way I could see my dad underneath the car installing parts :lol:. Huge respect to all of you guys!

Young wippersnapper! I am 60 and installed a new Whiteline RSB yesterday, with AVO mounts (had to hang the bar on my walker to get it over to the car so I could put it in) and even this old man can feel the difference in the corners.

rick

Wow, most of you guys are old enough to be my dad. There's absolutely no way I could see my dad underneath the car installing parts :lol:. Huge respect to all of you guys!

Back when I first had cars (69 Olds, 54 Pontiac, 66 and 74 Chevys, 68 Ford F600) I did almost all my own auto mechanics. Then my business picked up, I got busy, cars got more complicated and I decided it was better to hire a good mechanic and spend my time on things I was an expert at. Now that I've got the XT I've been buying new metric tools etc. and taken on some of my own work again. Saves money for the things I can't do and gives a sense of satisfaction. I was still riding mountain bike and playing hockey a few years ago and my 20 year old daughter says I'm definitely not an "old dude."

My Father is almost 70, doing a tbe, sti tmic and other misc stuff on his wrx soon. Best part is he's retired so doesn't have to work about driving in traffic anymore. Keep modding the car.

If you feel your too old then Cadillac CTS-V is the perfect car for you, except if you plan on driving past gas stations.

Back when I first had cars (69 Olds, 54 Pontiac, 66 and 74 Chevys, 68 Ford F600) I did almost all my own auto mechanics. Then my business picked up, I got busy, cars got more complicated and I decided it was better to hire a good mechanic and spend my time on things I was an expert at. Now that I've got the XT I've been buying new metric tools etc. and taken on some of my own work again. Saves money for the things I can't do and gives a sense of satisfaction. I was still riding mountain bike and playing hockey a few years ago and my 20 year old daughter says I'm definitely not an "old dude."

Well played sir, well played.

Well my mom and dad can kinda relate to this. My mom is turning 55 here real soon and shes driving a infiniti G35 now. My dads 57 and its funny to see him drive my outback. Ive encouraged him to stomp the gas down but he hasnt dont it yet. Although when he does i know i need to take some video. Your never to old to have some fun. Age wont affect a car enthusiest love for cars. All it will do is affect how hard you can turn a wrench I guess

Well, I will be 71 in January and my DMG LGTW is my 143d car.

Yes, I have kept a list over the years too.

Have I had a................Yes, I probably have.

V8 Powered Street Rods........Yes!

Hi Horsepower Street Machines.......Yes!

Porsches, BMWs, etc...........Yes!

Caddys and Big Cruizers........Yes!

American & Foreign Sports Cars.........Yes!

Old and Late Model Hemi powered Cars and Trucks.........Yes!

Don't forget the Custom Vans during the 60-70s...........Yes, did that too!

Etc,Etc,ETC...........

Will it ever stop............NO!!!!!!!!!

It's in my blood!

Yes, I have drag raced and did younger years in Go-Karts!

Bikes??? Did that too, on the Street, Enduro and rode MotoCross in Europe for three years!

Boats? Did that too, inboard Hydro planes and laid back Slalom Water Skied for years.

I even have done R/C Boats and Pavement/Dirt car racing!

When I go.....it will be Full Throttle at the Red Line!!!!:cool:

Archived