LegacyGT.com

Leather vs Cloth

outahere

You know what, I upgraded my car's suspension to the max...struts, springs, fr/rr swaybars, and it just became absolutely boring unless I was actually driving at the limit. On a stock suspension, you're driving at the limit a lot more often :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh ok, duely noted, I would like to do a few suspension updates to the new GT, just to make the ride a bit stiffer around corners and that but dont want to make the ride any harsher if that makes sense. So how much do you think u have spent on all your suspension upgrades and what brands do u use?

[quote name='agctr']Ahh ok, duely noted, I would like to do a few suspension updates to the new GT, just to make the ride a bit stiffer around corners and that but dont want to make the ride any harsher if that makes sense. So how much do you think u have spent on all your suspension upgrades and what brands do u use?[/quote] 7stars, being at the limit is dangerous, because it doesn't take much to push things over the limit, then the driver is posting crash pictures, and expecting everyone to feel sorry for them because they were stupid. My preference is to find the limit, and then drive well below it. There's nothing worse than being a passenger in your own car, as I was back in my "at the limit, all the time" days. I hit a patch of oil that I didn't expect to be there, and being at the limit, there was zero margin for error. Luckily, it was 2 a.m. and there was no traffic, or I would have hurt someone, and not just my ego. Agctr, the magical question is how to flatten out a car without making it more uncomfortable, and if you find out, let us know. Generally, to flatten a car out in the corners, you have to make springs stiffer, while also increasing strut valving to accomodate the increased spring rates. That ride is going to be less compliant, which means less comfortable. Remember my standard litany, that body roll isn't always a bad thing. Kevin

[quote name='agctr']Ahh ok, duely noted, I would like to do a few suspension updates to the new GT, just to make the ride a bit stiffer around corners and that but dont want to make the ride any harsher if that makes sense. So how much do you think u have spent on all your suspension upgrades and what brands do u use?[/quote] That's what bigger swaybars are for.

[quote name='7stars'][quote name='agctr']Ahh ok, duely noted, I would like to do a few suspension updates to the new GT, just to make the ride a bit stiffer around corners and that but dont want to make the ride any harsher if that makes sense. So how much do you think u have spent on all your suspension upgrades and what brands do u use?[/quote] That's what bigger swaybars are for.[/quote] It only SEEMS like I'm in contrarian mode today. :lol: Bigger swaybars are a pox to a well-designed suspension, because the bigger you go, the less independent your independent suspension gets. With that lack of independence come ride artifacts that devotees of live rear axle cars are all too familiar with, most notably bump steer and yes, lift-throttle oversteer. You do get less body roll, though, that is true. Notice, for example, how the one thing you don't see on that extensive STi parts catalogue for Legacies is sway bars. Companies such as Cusco and the like will no doubt offer them, but I'm betting an outfit such as STi, who has done the research and testing, understands why simply bolting on bigger sway bars isn't the answer. I'm not even sure, as it was in the case of the WRX wagon, that simply size-matching front and rear sway bars would improve things on the Legacy GT, because of how the bar now attaches, right at the business end of things at the extreme outer edge of the bar, right by the hub. You could wind up with a tail-happy car when all is said and done. Kevin

[quote name='SUBE555']I looked at the thread earlier brady_bunch and I was confused how this dealt with leather vs cloth. *scratches head* Kevin, get back on topic! :mrgreen:[/quote] Leather! Cloth! Leather? Cloth? Cloth. There...and hey, they started it. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='Th3Franz']I think so but I could post some in a couple days. :D I saw them in person again last week, and I do think they look better in person.[/quote] They FEEL better as well. I like them, though I still have yet to sit in the leathers.

i usually HATE leather but was thinking about putting up with it to get the wagon's huge sunroof. i sat in an outback ltd and i was surprised that the leather actually felt very good. perhaps it has something to do with the perforations making it more supple (albeit harder to clean).

[quote name='jk']i usually HATE leather but was thinking about putting up with it to get the wagon's huge sunroof. i sat in an outback ltd and i was surprised that the leather actually felt very good. perhaps it has something to do with the perforations making it more supple (albeit harder to clean).[/quote] One other option is to buy the limited for the moonroof, and organize a trade with another Legacy or outback owner who wants leather seats, but has a non-limited model with the same color cloth seats. Seats can be un-bolted, moonroofs can't really be swapped.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'][quote name='jk']i usually HATE leather but was thinking about putting up with it to get the wagon's huge sunroof. i sat in an outback ltd and i was surprised that the leather actually felt very good. perhaps it has something to do with the perforations making it more supple (albeit harder to clean).[/quote] One other option is to buy the limited for the moonroof, and organize a trade with another Legacy or outback owner who wants leather seats, but has a non-limited model with the same color cloth seats. Seats can be un-bolted, moonroofs can't really be swapped.[/quote] That was my suggestion earlier in this thread. I'd be willing to trade someone in the So Cal area GT sedan cloth seats, door cards, and $700 for GT Ltd. leather. I just don't know when, and if, I'll be getting my GT.

I was in the std GT for a bit last night driving back with Franz and all I have to say is I really like the fabrics and I was wrong about those seats. Definitely better than the OB XT ones, more firm but hit me a lot better than the '04 WRX seats do. Wouldn't want them any tighter on the sides than they are, but maybe a hair more bolstering. Overall, pretty good.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the power seats vs non power seats. When I sat in the GT (non-LTD), I was disappointed that you couldn't tilt the front of the seat base. The front of the seat felt way too low. For that reason alone I've pretty much ruled out the GT in favor of the LTD.

Personally, I love manual seats and won't ever buy power seats if I can have my way, regardless of the seat bottoms. They felt fairly good to me. I'm just not used to riding in the passenger seat. :P Behind the wheel is my normal position.

the leather is perforated, and i'm wondering if anyone knows what's behind the perforations. it suddenly hit me that we could have the worst of both worlds- the hot/cold leather thing, and impossible cleaning problems with stuff soaking into cloth behind the perforations, not to mention cleaners and conditioners getting caught in the perforations. anyone know what's behind the little holes in the leather?

• 3 months later...
[quote name='agctr']Anyone not enjoying their leather on the GT Limited Edition? Adam.[/QUOTE] No! It's very good soft leather, that doesn't have any of the downsides of "leather" that I've seen in other cars. (Most recently compared to a maxima.. UCK!). Hasn't burned me or been too cold yet..

i guess it all depends on your individual situations. most of you are apparently from texas :) so the hot leather thing might drive you away from it. one of the main reasons i'm getting a leg gt lmtd is because i want a sports luxury sedan feel, and no leather to me kinda defeats the whole purpose. i have sat in teh cloth, and i def. like the feel of leather better, looks a lot better as well imo.

I had leather in my last three cars (BMW 328, Acura TL, WRX wagon with Katzkins), and my wife has had leather in her two SUVs. I opted for the cloth in the LGT and have had absolutely no regrets whatsoever. Before I bought the car, I was considering either a leather install or a swap with someone who bought an LGT solely for the moonroof. Now, I am perfectly content with the cloth.

Archived