LegacyGT.com

Leather vs Cloth

outahere

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='STG']That's O.K. Either way, I'm not cool or famous enough to have tinted windows on my car. Isn't Drift Monkey's use of internet shorthand / slang just too cute? bfd.:lol:[/QUOTE]I didn't start tinting the windows in my cars until I had kids. I didn't want to put up those lame ass Winnie the Pooh shades with the suction cups that cover only a third of the window, so I opted for tint. Let me tell you, tint makes a huge difference in your interior temperature after your car has sat all afternoon in the parking lot of some mall, or on long drives in one direction when the sun is at that angle where it is just beating down on you or your passengers. IMO, it's far more than a cosmetic mod, although it definitely makes my black LGT look cooler as well.

I couldn't decide about leather vs. cloth. Luckily, Subaru was nice enough to decide for me, as I wanted that missile silo cover......errrr, I mean huge sunroof. Had they left it to me, I would have gone with cloth and the sunroof, as I have two large dogs as well.

I bought leather and am a little perplexed by some who say it takes a lot of care. It definately does not take a large amount of maintenance at all. In fact the majority of used cars out there that have leather have never been conditioned or treated at ALL! i think every 2 yrs is enough for leather, and actually my Subaru dealer told me that 3-4 yrs would even be ok. As for cloth... I had it in my Impreza and I do not think that Subaru cloth is very good. It wears pretty thin it seemed to me in the 3 yrs we had our old car. (from new) I truly believe that the leather will increase resale but probably only by about 1000-1500, with the sunroof. Parousia.

The only leather seats I've had that needed regular treatment (Lexol works nicely - spray the cloth, not the seat) were on My '67 MGB. That was b/c they were Connolly leather, sat in direct sun with the top down, and were and pushing 40 years old. (Sold the B in June when I moved onto a 4.5 mile gravel road). Modern leather takes no special maintenance - just clean it up occasionally when you clean your interrior. We all know you can go as low- or high-maintenance as you want in that regard...

[quote name='mmanus88']umm yes (not sure if the GT's leather is vinyl) [/QUOTE] It's pretty simple: Leather = Leather / Vinyl = Vinyl If the GT's leather isn't, there's a class action lawsuit brewing. Often manufacturers save money by equipping cars with "leather seating surfaces." This usually means the parts of the seat that touch you are leather, while the sides and back are another material, typically vinyl.

It is in fact REAL LEATHER that is used in Subaru's interior on the LTD and others with the leather option. Manufacturers specifically state when they used leatherette/leather combinations by stating "leather seating surfaces" as mentioned, or they call it "leather matched". Subaru used a very high quality leather that is treated very well from the factory according to my dealer and it takes little to no maintenance. Parousia

[quote name='axis008']STG, I agree with the last things you said. I haven't researched into this, but could the leather in the GT's be leatherette? Sometimes companies advertise the seating as leather, but it's actually leatherette.[/QUOTE] No company other than Joes' Honnest Used Car Sales advertises leatherette as leather. The 2005 Subaru Legacy brochure lists the Limited with "leather-trimmed upholstry." Like you said, you haven't done your research. At least get a brochure and read it before buying a Legacy. You don't agree with the first things I said? HOW CAN YOU ARGUE WITH LEATHER = LEATHER AND VINYL =VINYL?:lol::lol::lol:

Archived