LegacyGT.com

Leather vs Cloth

outahere

[quote name='Deer Killer']No! It's very good soft leather, that doesn't have any of the downsides of "leather" that I've seen in other cars. (Most recently compared to a maxima.. UCK!). Hasn't burned me or been too cold yet..[/QUOTE] Well, I love the leather but here in NW PA it has been cold on some mornings (40s) and when I have sat in the seats without a jacket the seats have been chilly...but, they heat up awfully quick with the heated seats.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys, I live in Southwest Florida, (ie It's Hot). The taupe leather has not been a problem at all. It is comfortable, leather does breath because it is natural, cleans easier from spills than cloth ever will. The leather seat is also bolstered better, sit in both seats and feel the difference. I did get my windows tinted recently after 3 months but not because of the heat on the seats, because the steering wheel and shifter got hot and also because it looks better.

[quote name='jennjay']The leather seat is also bolstered better, sit in both seats and feel the difference.[/QUOTE] I have and no, they aren't. The leather is stiffer than the cloth, which accounts for the difference that you feel. Kevin

I will agree the leather definately makes the interior look better but I went sans leather becuase I didn't buy this car for a luxury I bought it for utility so I was happy to find I could get it in cloth.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Right on VTEC. The leather might be nice, but it's a sport wagon and for me, sticking to those seats come first. I'm glad seat heaters come in all GT's because I've used them a number of times. They come in rather handy, especially when you've got a lady with you and they aren't as warm as you, same with the climate control, never realized how nice dual-zone is until you have a reason for it.

Seriously guys, I THROW my Liberty around like you would not believe (you dont go thru thread every 30K miles by not) and I have NEVER slipped or slid anywhere. You guys must all be wearing SILK. Adam. Anyone in the closet ??? LMAO

[quote name='agctr']Seriously guys, I THROW my Liberty around like you would not believe (you dont go thru thread every 30K miles by not) and I have NEVER slipped or slid anywhere. You guys must all be wearing SILK. Adam. Anyone in the closet ??? LMAO[/QUOTE] Silk isnt gay if your on the way to a night club or something, real men wear velour :D (only above he waist when i have a hot date)

I've never been that big of a fan as for buy a car with leather seats as it costs so much just to get the leather and then you have to pay just to take care of it. I've always gone with cloth seats and those have always worked very well. Cloth is more cost effective in every way you look at it so why not get it ;) The main thing that angers me about the new Legacys and Outbacks is that to get the huge sunroof on the wagons you have to get the leather and it comes out to being about $2500 extra. Damnit Subaru, make the friggin' roof standard on all Legs and OBs or at least make it an optional :mad:

[quote name='Hero']I've never been that big of a fan as for buy a car with leather seats as it costs so much just to get the leather and then you have to pay just to take care of it. I've always gone with cloth seats and those have always worked very well. Cloth is more cost effective in every way you look at it so why not get it ;) The main thing that angers me about the new Legacys and Outbacks is that to get the huge sunroof on the wagons you have to get the leather and it comes out to being about $2500 extra. Damnit Subaru, make the friggin' roof standard on all Legs and OBs or at least make it an optional :mad:[/QUOTE] I agree with you on the sunroof part and it think it should be an option not standard, i have a black gt and its going to get hot enough in the summer without a large peice of glass in the roof, so why make it any hotter then it has to be. Im not a big fan o sunroofs any way but the only positive side is that you can open it a crack and let some heat out so the glass doesnt blow out on you insted of opening your windows a crack. plus its one more thing that i can for get to close, and an extre seal to worry about so it makes rain floding the car more possable.

hero, i know u meant nothing by it, but "cost effectiveness" is not an aspect for many buyers. many of you talk about sliding and constant maitenance. sliding? u must be wearing some pretty dam silky clothing cause my ass wasn't going anywhere when i test drove a limited gt :lol: . as for maitenance, that is an idividual situation. if u have kids/pets always in the car and whatnot, sure leather may not be a good idea. but if your not in a situation where staining is a big possibility, like me (this is my first car) then leather is def. the way to go for the luxury look, granted you actually like leather altogether in the first place

Fantastic response mmanus88. Its a like or dislike and everyone has different reasons for wants in a car. But agreed, you guys must have some very silky or shinny getup to be sliding around like you say. Pretty sure most road going Ferrari's have leather including the ENZO and I think that thing has a little more poke than any Subaru will ever have. To name a few others SL65 has leather E55 has leather C55 has leather SLK55 has leather F360 has leather F430 will have leather 575M has leather Gallardo has leather M3 has leather M5 has leather GT2 has leather 911 Turbo has leather Granted there are a LOT of rides that DONT have leather, but have just named some of the World's Best Supercars and most them will come with leather as standard. Adam.

Leather looks cool but it wouldnt work for me i forgot to list the biggest reason im not a leather fan (besides the other reasons) it doesnt hold up well if you have a 160lbs St. Bernard in the back seat, and she is on the small side for a St.

[quote name='agctr']Fantastic response mmanus88. Its a like or dislike and everyone has different reasons for wants in a car. But agreed, you guys must have some very silky or shinny getup to be sliding around like you say. Pretty sure most road going Ferrari's have leather including the ENZO and I think that thing has a little more poke than any Subaru will ever have. To name a few others SL65 has leather E55 has leather C55 has leather SLK55 has leather F360 has leather F430 will have leather 575M has leather Gallardo has leather M3 has leather M5 has leather GT2 has leather 911 Turbo has leather Granted there are a LOT of rides that DONT have leather, but have just named some of the World's Best Supercars and most them will come with leather as standard. Adam.[/QUOTE] ok well it does also have to deal with the shape of the seat too, a non-sport type cars tend to have a more open seat design but on something sportier the seats are more form fitting so to matter what they will hold. the gt does have som nicely fit seats though so sliding is not realy going to be a real issue in it. btw what evere happened to good old fasion cheep ass vinal?

[quote name='SC GT']The leather-burning-your-ass problem isn't so bad as long as you tint your windows.[/QUOTE] So, you pay extra to get the leather, then spend more money to get tinted (look at me but you won't see me, 'cause I'm too cool) windows only to get pulled over and ticketed for illegal tint.:lol: No thanks, cloth for me. agctr, The plural of Ferrari is Ferraris, not Ferrari's.

Archived