LegacyGT.com

Leather vs Cloth

outahere

Okay, so I am looking at this car as more of an investment than I have ever looked at a car before. Typically, I have looked at a car as an expense and a House as an investment. However, the Subaru and especially the new Legacy GT's I think will be an item that will retain its value well. What is the take on the resale value of a car with leather seats? Better or worse? I may not want a jetted soaking tub in my bathroom, but I think it would be a selling point to the general populous on real estate listing. Ideas? J.R.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='CPTChaplin']Okay, so I am looking at this car as more of an investment than I have ever looked at a car before. Typically, I have looked at a car as an expense and a House as an investment. However, the Subaru and especially the new Legacy GT's I think will be an item that will retain its value well. What is the take on the resale value of a car with leather seats? Better or worse? I may not want a jetted soaking tub in my bathroom, but I think it would be a selling point to the general populous on real estate listing. Ideas? J.R.[/quote] Usually the resale value is higher for the cars that have all of the options as opposed to a bare bones model, or a model with only a handful of options. So if you are looking at resale value, I'd say go with the leather. That and I saw the cloth and it wasnt anything to write home about. Oh, and one more thing, a car is never an investment, it is always an expense. :(

Bought my WRX in 01 for around $25K. I will be selling it this year for $18K. It has 30K miles on it. There are not a lot of cars that can hold thier resale value like that. You have chosen the right car and manufacturer for resale. That's for sure!

[quote name='tallguylehigh']Oh, and one more thing, a car is never an investment, it is always an expense. :([/quote] Sadly, that is true. The only time I could ever consider a car "an investment" is buying a make/model that is some kind of limited production or high demand car and then put no miles on it, store it somewhere for 25 years, and then bring it out and sell it as a "classic" for at least as much as it cost you (plus storage cost, insurance cost, etc) :) CPTChaplin, I have made the mistake in the past of buying "limited edition" or "special edition" cars with the intent of "making an investment" in the car in the hopes that they would have high resale values. My pristine '94 "M Edition" Miata that cost about $22K ten years ago is now worth about $4K. Not a good "investment". Any "investment" that costs me money is not a good investment... that way lies to living in boxes in alleys. Fortunately I'm not there yet. :lol: I would definitely expect a fully loaded GT to have higher resale than other makes/models in its class but not an "investment level" resale value. Sorry for the long post.

[quote name='tallguylehigh'][quote name='CPTChaplin']Okay, so I am looking at this car as more of an investment than I have ever looked at a car before. Typically, I have looked at a car as an expense and a House as an investment. However, the Subaru and especially the new Legacy GT's I think will be an item that will retain its value well. What is the take on the resale value of a car with leather seats? Better or worse? I may not want a jetted soaking tub in my bathroom, but I think it would be a selling point to the general populous on real estate listing. Ideas? J.R.[/quote] Oh, and one more thing, a car is never an investment, it is always an expense. :([/quote] Okay let me clarify, "I'm looking at this car as, less of a risky expense..." would the general sube driver agree with this statement?

I'd say the Legacy GT seems like a great value. Based upon its features and performance, I think you are paying for very little fat. IMO, the Ltd. package doesn't add much value to resale. If you want the features and will enjoy them, then by all means go for it. But if you are thinking just in terms of resale value, you'd pay over $2000 to get it, but you won't get that $2000 back when you sell. Case in point: KBB lists the trade-in value of my 2001 Acura TL with Navi at only around $400 more than a TL w/out Navi. Navi was around a $1500 option, so it was not worth it from a resale POV, but worth it to me because I got good use out of the Navi over the past three years.

[quote name='SC GT']I'd say the Legacy GT seems like a great value. Based upon its features and performance, I think you are paying for very little fat. IMO, the Ltd. package doesn't add much value to resale. If you want the features and will enjoy them, then by all means go for it. But if you are thinking just in terms of resale value, you'd pay over $2000 to get it, but you won't get that $2000 back when you sell. Case in point: KBB lists the trade-in value of my 2001 Acura TL with Navi at only around $400 more than a TL w/out Navi. Navi was around a $1500 option, so it was not worth it from a resale POV, but worth it to me because I got good use out of the Navi over the past three years.[/quote] That is very true, but I think that the options that the Limited has over the base GT will serve you better in the long run. The dual zone automatic climate control is an excellent example. Right now, the next step so to say is automatic climate controls- hell, even the Acura RSX has it. To have a car without automatic climate control could be a problem further down the road when automatic climate control becomes more of a "must" to the driving public. At least thats my opinion on it.

I think we've seem a lot of evidence that the dual zone controls come standard with the base GT as well. I don't think a sunroof fetches much on resale. I can get leather later on for not that much. It's going to be a matter of personal taste in the end.

When I speak of lower risk expense I am referring to; 1. A car that I love to drive and that is some what practical. 2. A car that will not cost more to insure that it will for the monthly payment. 3. A car that is easy to maintain 4. A car that is safe AND FUN. I had a 1992 BMW 325i Convertible that I bought for $12,500 with 50k miles. I drove the car for 4 years, put 70k miles on it, payed off, and wrecked the front fender on 2 days before my wedding. The insurance company totaled the car due to frame damage and cost of parts. They paid me $12,000 for it. That is what I am talking about. A car that you drive, maintain, and enjoy and you don't take a beating in the bank book when your done. This I hope is my Subaru GT Ltd, Silver Wagon. J.R.

[quote name='tallguylehigh'][quote name='SC GT']I'd say the Legacy GT seems like a great value. Based upon its features and performance, I think you are paying for very little fat. IMO, the Ltd. package doesn't add much value to resale. If you want the features and will enjoy them, then by all means go for it. But if you are thinking just in terms of resale value, you'd pay over $2000 to get it, but you won't get that $2000 back when you sell. Case in point: KBB lists the trade-in value of my 2001 Acura TL with Navi at only around $400 more than a TL w/out Navi. Navi was around a $1500 option, so it was not worth it from a resale POV, but worth it to me because I got good use out of the Navi over the past three years.[/quote] That is very true, but I think that the options that the Limited has over the base GT will serve you better in the long run. The dual zone automatic climate control is an excellent example. Right now, the next step so to say is automatic climate controls- hell, even the Acura RSX has it. To have a car without automatic climate control could be a problem further down the road when automatic climate control becomes more of a "must" to the driving public. At least thats my opinion on it.[/quote] Yeah, when I thought the dual climate controls were a Ltd. option only, then I was leaning toward the Ltd. package, even though the moonroof does nothing for me. But since the reports are that the base GT also comes with dual climate controls, I'd prefer the GT and $2000 to the GT. Ltd.

[quote]That is what I am talking about. A car that you drive, maintain, and enjoy and you don't take a beating in the bank book when your done. This I hope is my Subaru GT Ltd, Silver Wagon. [/quote] I wish all new car buys are like that. Unfortunatly, depreciation kicks in pretty hard once that car goes out the door. So I don't think you'll ever getting anything that good with a new car.

Since you guys seem a bit unsure about the dual zone climate control, it does indeed come standard on the 2.5GT non-Limited. I know this because I sat in one and I have no reason to lie :). Pics to come when I test drive it soon...
-ben

[quote name='agctr']IF u can afford, go the leather option, easier to clean and no way near as much dust. They are a little slidy at first and way cold in winter but once they warm up, there alllllll good.[/quote] To each their own. I can afford it, but I hate leather seats, not to mention that I do a of throwing muddy bikes around the car, and sitting in the car in wet cycling gear. Cloth takes a nice shampooing, and off you go. Leather also feels gross to me when I'm wearing shorts. This, combined with the fact that with the wagon's huge sunroof, a boy's mind wonders about decreased rigidity, made me a base GT person. Now, all my bloody car has to do is show up. Kevin

Good point about the shorts Kevin, have the same drama here myself but its not too bad once you crank up the aircon. No need to shampoo if u have leather as a damp cloth is all good. Plus the leather would have much better resale when you upgrade to the Porsche GT2.

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='agctr']IF u can afford, go the leather option, easier to clean and no way near as much dust. They are a little slidy at first and way cold in winter but once they warm up, there alllllll good.[/quote] To each their own. I can afford it, but I hate leather seats, not to mention that I do a of throwing muddy bikes around the car, and sitting in the car in wet cycling gear. Cloth takes a nice shampooing, and off you go. Leather also feels gross to me when I'm wearing shorts. This, combined with the fact that with the wagon's huge sunroof, a boy's mind wonders about decreased rigidity, made me a base GT person. Now, all my bloody car has to do is show up. Kevin[/quote] You are really worried about rigidity with the moonroof? I highly doubt that it will have any impact on the chassis rigidity at all. I guess I would rather have the moonroof than anything. It's pretty much a must for me.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']You are really worried about rigidity with the moonroof? I highly doubt that it will have any impact on the chassis rigidity at all. I guess I would rather have the moonroof than anything. It's pretty much a must for me.[/quote] As am I. It very wel might not effect it to much, but knowing me, I want to extract the maximum potential from the car. Which is why I also chose the base over the limited. That and a lower overall curb weight mean much to me.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='agctr']IF u can afford, go the leather option, easier to clean and no way near as much dust. They are a little slidy at first and way cold in winter but once they warm up, there alllllll good.[/quote] To each their own. I can afford it, but I hate leather seats, not to mention that I do a of throwing muddy bikes around the car, and sitting in the car in wet cycling gear. Cloth takes a nice shampooing, and off you go. Leather also feels gross to me when I'm wearing shorts. This, combined with the fact that with the wagon's huge sunroof, a boy's mind wonders about decreased rigidity, made me a base GT person. Now, all my bloody car has to do is show up. Kevin[/quote] You are really worried about rigidity with the moonroof? I highly doubt that it will have any impact on the chassis rigidity at all. I guess I would rather have the moonroof than anything. It's pretty much a must for me.[/quote] Sure am. A friend who is into BMWs (both racing and street hooliganism) has to special order BMWs to get them without the sunroof. He says there's a noticeable difference between roof and no roof. And with one as huge as the wagon's, I'm sure there is a difference. You can't cut an almost three-foot-long hole in the roof and not affect rigidity. It is enough to matter? Dunno. Short-term, certainly not. Long-term, who knows? Kevin

I got several recommendations to get leather seats because one frequent rider is our Golden Retriever, who not only sheds a lot, but is often wet from swimming in ponds and lakes. Apparently cloth seats are easier to keep free of dog hairs and they don't absorved the wet dog smell (eventhough my dog rides in the wagon trunk, the cloth seats of our current car are smelly and full of hairs). I'm not interested in the other features of the Limited, so the dealer offered after-market leather seats. However, he went to check and was told that because of the air-bags in the seats, Subaru is not letting the dealers to install after-market leather seats. :(

[quote name='salomonrobyn']I got several recommendations to get leather seats because one frequent rider is our Golden Retriever, who not only sheds a lot, but is often wet from swimming in ponds and lakes. Apparently cloth seats are easier to keep free of dog hairs and they don't absorved the wet dog smell (eventhough my dog rides in the wagon trunk, the cloth seats of our current car are smelly and full of hairs). I'm not interested in the other features of the Limited, so the dealer offered after-market leather seats. However, he went to check and was told that because of the air-bags in the seats, Subaru is not letting the dealers to install after-market leather seats. :([/quote] I think it's Katzkin that makes custom leather seat covers that will work with stock airbags. So.. just give it some time and install it yourself or have a professional installer who doesn't work for the dealership do it.

Weight up high, really, at the end of the day, who will be on the limit everytime all the time to even worry about the weight up high. This goes also for rigidity. Change the springs, dampners, ride height etc and I dont think u would even worry about the extra weight etc. Its a bit like the BMWM3, the magazines say that the 19" rims are no good as they skip and slide around under brakes. Guess what ? More sets of 19" are sold than the stock 18", why? because its all about fashion and stance. enough said.....

[quote name='agctr']Weight up high, really, at the end of the day, who will be on the limit everytime all the time to even worry about the weight up high. This goes also for rigidity. Change the springs, dampners, ride height etc and I dont think u would even worry about the extra weight etc. Its a bit like the BMWM3, the magazines say that the 19" rims are no good as they skip and slide around under brakes. Guess what ? More sets of 19" are sold than the stock 18", why? because its all about fashion and stance. enough said.....[/quote] Well, I so care and worry about those things, even when not "at the limit" all day long. A more rigid body means a safer body, and extra weight up top means the car will be more top heavy. If the 18s really perform better than the 19s, I'd definately go for them. It's not just about fashion and stance to all of us...

DM, I hear what you are saying and yes they are valid points. I think if u were to lower the car at the front and back and add swaybars, the car would handle so much better and may enable u to not to worry as much about the roof etc etc. Not sure if you have seen the 19's on the M3 but they look mad. I will try and dig up a few pics. The tire wall on the 19's is so small so the harshness of the ride is increased dramatically and this doesnt help the skipping around at all.

Archived