LegacyGT.com

Big Plastic Engine Under Tray. Necessary?

my 2 cents:

The Subaru horizontal engine design brings components such as the plug wires lower to the bottom of the engine bay, making them more susceptible to getting wet from road spray. I am guessing that the covers protect the components not meant to get wet from getting wet is all.

My 2.5i didn't come with an undertray... Didn't think much of it until I wrapped my borla (replica) headers. I put on a Primitive Racing skidplate similar to the one posted above to help preserve/protect the header wrap.

If you are still running a TMIC, you need it for proper air flow through it. I'll post up the autospeed article on it when I get home... I have all the tools they used for testing, I just need to find time for testing on our cars.

edit: http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_Optimising-TopMount-Intercoolers/A_109440/article.html

I'd be very interested to see the results of this, with an aftermarket tray too.

Took the tray off my wifes Trailblazer, had engine cooling issues ( under load ) once the weather warmed up.

Not that it is an apples-to-apples comparison however by bugeye wagon was missing the utray and I also could get the coolant temps to rise under load. No such issues with the LGT with a utray.

Last note my Galant VR4 had load heating issues when I hacked the front bumper to accomodate a different FMIC.

Just saying, airflow at the front of and under the engine does make a difference in certain situations. My situations being hills/mountains, high altitude, and low humidity levels.

• 2 weeks later...
I really like the GT Spec one FBP is offering on sale right now. I havnt had mine on the car for 2 years now since it got busted (damn possum). I have a Perrin TMIC and the pressure difference makes sence but I just cant justify it right now with limited funds.

Was actually thinking about this... Beatrush Aluminium Underpanel, not sure if it's worth it. Changing oil is ganna be a bitch job.

http://www.machiii.net/images/suspension/beatrush/Subaru/30.jpg

I was thinking the same a while back.

Archived