LegacyGT.com

isc coilovers

blackinches

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To answer a couple questions here.

1. They are a little noisy without the thrust bearing kit. About the same as if you upgraded springs alone.

2. With the trust bearing kit they are absolutely silent.

3. User friendly and easy to install in a day in your driveway or garage.

That being said. I've had ISC coilovers for about 6 months now and have put 30,000 plus miles on them. I commute to Boston/Providence daily. They have seen every type of road. At first I did not have the thrust bearing kit. Yes they were a little noisy at low speeds. IE parking lots and cutting the wheel all the way. As soon the thrust bearing kit went in they were silent. Ive had springs and can tell you save up some more cash and fork it over for some ISC coilovers. Couldn't be happier money well spent.

Joe

Where did you get the thrust bearings at?

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Which spring rates have you guys ended up with? PA roads are far from forgiving but if the sport springs aren't too bad, then those are what I'm considering.

Street comfort and street sport are def the most popular with the LGT crowd, I have probably done 50% comfort and 50% street sport for the LGT's so far... so it just depends on what you are looking for. You are on the east coast like us, street comfort may be your best bet. You can always crank up your dampening if you are going to track it on the weekend or something:)

note- the street comfort and street sport have the same spring rates, they are just valved differently

what spring rates did you guys get with yours? i hear theyre available in 3 modes: Street Comfort, Street/Sport, Race/Track ...... some commentary would be helpful mentioning what you got and what its similiar to.

currently im riding H-techs on KYBs and am looking for a nice jump in aggressiveness and stiffness. im trying to gauge if the race/track will be more agressive than im bargaining for. thnx guys

On my LGT I came off of stock struts with COBB springs, I am now running street sport ISC's. The ride with the ISC's is much less harsh on road defects, I no longer get that terrible feeling when I am on the highway and hit a wonderful Massachusetts pothole (yes we have potholes on highways sometimes, I am sure since you are in NY you are in the same boat). With the 32 way dampening you can have great control of how stiff/ soft you want it; no matter what spring rate you decide to go with. BUT as many will probably suggest the street sport is great for sprinted street driving, and occasional track with some minor dampening adjustments, etc...

Hope my .02 helped, thanks!

I had the street sports on my 05 LGT. I only ran the stock spring strut setup on the lgt though. The street sports are probably the way to go if you do occasional autox's and lapping days like I did. On the stock middle setting I thought they rode around town fairly well and and weren't too rough. I was pleased with them.

But I usually ran then up around 22 clicks or more for the damping for auto x and at that point they started to be a little rough to ride around town with, but not so bad I didn't want to change the settings. If you have kids riding with you they would be too rough, but if it is just you I bet you'd think they are fine. I don't know how the race setup would have felt on the softest setting, but I'd think they would be ok for occasional driving.

I currently have an 08 3.0r with the Bilstein setup and I think they are stiffer and ride better than the stock lgt did. They seem to set in between the stockers and the ISC's Street Sports, but I bet they would be pretty equal if you took the damping down to about the lowest setting on ISC's. I really wish I would have known I was going to buy another Legacy, otherwise I would have kept the ISC's. They really are a pretty good coilover, minus a few things that I mentioned in my review thread and I think this one.

My suggestion is that if you daily drive the car and do an autox or lapping day once a month or so get the Street Sports. But if you use the LGT at a track car get the Race setup.

For me, no kids and no auto-x at this point. This is my DD but I drive aggressively. Im pretty set on the street/sport option. Ill put the order through in the next couple days and hopefully do the install next weekend. Im excited (so much so that these coils are my current desktop for my laptop and office computer)

For me, no kids and no auto-x at this point. This is my DD but I drive aggressively. Im pretty set on the street/sport option. Ill put the order through in the next couple days and hopefully do the install next weekend. Im excited (so much so that these coils are my current desktop for my laptop and office computer)

desktop background FTW!

• 3 weeks later...
installed today.... im pumped to drive it for a bit and see how they settle... driving home was nice and firm. I cant comment much on the stance cause theres so much more wheel gap cause i went back to stock wheels for a winter setup. They feel nice and am looking forward to getting a few driving hours in this weekend

installed today.... im pumped to drive it for a bit and see how they settle... driving home was nice and firm. I cant comment much on the stance cause theres so much more wheel gap cause i went back to stock wheels for a winter setup. They feel nice and am looking forward to getting a few driving hours in this weekend

*In for more results*:munch:

so im back with results.... after a drive from Dutches County NY to Boston (seeing a friend) to Plymouth (seeing and putting deposit on Spec B for my pops) back home I got alot more driving in than planned. Keep in mind this is my first performace strut upgrade ever besides H-techs on KYBs. That said, take as youd like:

My first reaction is that I definitely installed a coilover in my legacy- not a Koni, not a Billstein. I feel much more connected to the road; both the spirited turns as well as unwanted imperfections in the pavement. With that comes the obvious cringe when you hit the unwanted pot hole but also a very comforting sense of security when your driving 80+ on the highway and need to swerve to avoid the obnoxious merging vehicle, road debris and quick impromptu exit to lose an 'unwanted' follower.

I was very impressed with the flat ride around turns and precise control. I feel like my slalom times would be *drastically* reduced from my htech / kyb combo.... pretty obvious i guess.

The only drawbacks I see was that you get the good with the bad- sometimes a harsh ride is more harsh than one would like. That is a comment made about coilovers in general, not just the ISC model. I know this doesnt help those who are looking for a coilover vs coilover review, but for those who are weighing going to a coilover in general, hopefully this has helped.

Only strange thing im getting is what seems like a metal on metal knock from my front passenger coil when i hit a major road imperfection.... it just seems to be that one though, so I think its an install issue (mabye not tightened in enough so its causing a tophat knock). When i bring it back next week for a post-settling alignment ill have them look into it.

Other than that I have no complaints / concerns .... but again I would say that it has to be an install issue, not ISC malfunction. As far as dealers go, Andrew definately without question is the way to go. The price he quoted me at was below every other vendor i contacted... and keep in mind thats without having to ask him to match, without any seasonal discounts or silly coupon codes. Off the bat, without asking what he could match, he beat every other price i heard (which I had to bargain to some extent).

Stand up guy and from what I can tell an excellent coilover choice for <$1K. And I havent even begun to mess with stance, ride height or stiffness, so im sure I can get these to match what i want even more over the next few months.

Andrew, thanks again. Because of you, body roll is now a thing of the past

• 2 weeks later...

Metal on metal contact is due to loose top nuts. I have had my share of these since these nuts are working themselves loose on me. After consulting the meagan racing FAQ about clunking noises with coilovers, I have found the solution. (I hope!)

Tighten the top nuts using a CLOSED-ended box wrench and allen key combo. After that, hit it with an impact driver - lightly - and it should be fixed. Consequently, the coil binding I was expereincing has gone away almost entirely. I will see how this does over the next couple of weeks.

In the process of doing this, I also raised the rear end of the car using the height adjustment while also backing off the preload as much as possible. I have currently set the spring collars so that the top two are less than a quarter inch from the bottom locking collar.

After performing this change, the car has developed a very significant bouncing motion at highway speeds.

Does anyone have any theories as to why backing off the preload would produce this significant bouncing motion?

I have increased the damping from four turns from soft to the middle of the range to see if the bouncing lessens but it was there when I was running full on damping (without knowing it....LOL!).

For those interested in the FAQ: Check it out

http://meganracing.com/tech/faqs.asp?id=37&subject=Coil-overs:%20Why%20do%20I%20hear%20noise%20from%20coilovers?

I was hoping to have learned more from other's experiences, but there seems to be a lack of information on how to tune for ride/comfort/handling.

A friend of mine has a K series civic hybrid that had this same sort of bouncing issues. Through my experience, we might be able to solve his dilemma. We definitely don't want to be 'that guy'!

Here's a pic of the car after these were first installed....

http://www.imagecoast.com/images/x626xScbypwr/img2933.jpg

Archived