LegacyGT.com

isc coilovers

blackinches

Andrew is it possible for you to go lower? Reason I ask is I'm trying to make the top of the tire right at the end of the fender, well really trying to eliminate as much wheel gap I can.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh thats good to hear :)

Thanks ahead of time if you do, though I'm in no rush. But I'll most likely be ordering a set from you in a week or two. Oh also I posted in the thread in the vendor section but would extenders for the rears help for our cars?

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

sounds good!

Rear extenders just make it easier to adjust your dampening. ISC will offer these as an accessory soon as well. Each coilover kit does come with allen key tools (with a hard to soft arrow on the top knob) for each individual unit, so a total of 4 adjusters.

Thanks,

Andrew

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/08wrx.jpg

Got my teflon washers installed yesterday, and with a limited amount of driving time I haven't heard any noises yet. Think it was the first completely quiet ride I've had since the install, which is excellent news. I will keep you all posted over the next few days.

Andrew, are these washers commercially available? I'd like to get some that are a little thicker, so if this is an off-the-shelf item I'd like to get some that are about twice as thick. Just think they'd last a bit longer if they were thicker.

One thing I did notice is that where I placed the bushing was metal to metal contact (between thrust bushing and perch), and the two pieces started to chew into one another. I smoothed both pieces with various grits of sandpaper before installing the washers, and I think this will help not to kill the washers immediately.

Tobey,

Glad you got them and installed them. They are available commercially, I am sure you could get them at a Sears or something. Our mechanic and our engineer is confident that these are the ideal thickness though and the teflon material is easily capable of lasting the life of the coilover, so I personally would not worry about going thicker but ofcourse that is your call. Thanks!

Got my teflon washers installed yesterday, and with a limited amount of driving time I haven't heard any noises yet. Think it was the first completely quiet ride I've had since the install, which is excellent news. I will keep you all posted over the next few days.

Andrew, are these washers commercially available? I'd like to get some that are a little thicker, so if this is an off-the-shelf item I'd like to get some that are about twice as thick. Just think they'd last a bit longer if they were thicker.

One thing I did notice is that where I placed the bushing was metal to metal contact (between thrust bushing and perch), and the two pieces started to chew into one another. I smoothed both pieces with various grits of sandpaper before installing the washers, and I think this will help not to kill the washers immediately.

alright guys, i've got these sitting in my garage and I have the teflon bushings as well. Straight out of the box, what settings would you guys recommend adjusting before the installation? Obviously i'm going to install the bushings, but what else? What should I set the dampening to? Looking to firm up the ride, but retain streetability first and foremost. And about how much should I adjust the ride height in order to lower my car about 1.25"-1.50"? Just adjust them so they're that much shorter than the stockers? Goal is to make as few adjustments as possible post-installation.

We found that using a measuring tape and comparing them to your stockers is the best way to lower your car. Definitely want to have each coil equal to the one across from it (2 fronts same height as each other, 2 rear same height as each other). As far as dampening its probably best to put them to their softest setting and get behind the wheel for a bit and adjust them accordingly. Pre install definitely the height and do dampening after the install.

We found that using a measuring tape and comparing them to your stockers is the best way to lower your car. Definitely want to have each coil equal to the one across from it (2 fronts same height as each other, 2 rear same height as each other). As far as dampening its probably best to put them to their softest setting and get behind the wheel for a bit and adjust them accordingly. Pre install definitely the height and do dampening after the install.

Cool, will do. Is it easiest to install the bushings after the install? What would be the best way to get them in? And call me a newb, but where exactly do the bushings go?

• 2 weeks later...
to those who are running these, what is your rear pre-load at? I adjusted my fronts so that there was no preload on the springs, you can turn the spring by hand, and the preload on those is 7". On the rears, I adjusted them the same, but doing so wouldn't allow me to shorten the coilover at all less than the length of the stock strut. I've got my preload set in the rear at 7 3/8" now, which gives me just 3/4" inch of lowering. Should there be no preload on the fronts at all, with a preload on teh rear? Something doesn't seem right, as my front coilovers are set with no preload, and the height adjustment is extended way down, while in the rear i'm running a preload, and all three collars are compressed together. Opinions?

This is what I came up with for measurements.

The Rear spring is 7 3/4" and the strut measures 17". That is measured from the top mount down to the top of bottom strut mount.

The front spring measures 7 1/4" and the strut is 12 1/2" measured from the top mount down to the top of the bottom strut mount.

The rear collars are all going to be very close together with it set this way. I think the rear springs should have been made slightly shorter. So you could adjust the strut shorter without the collars all being very close together. But like I said earlier if you want more drop your going to have to preload the spring more to shorten it so you can make the strut shorter to get the drop.

I've heard conflicting views if this effects performance or not. But if you set the coilovers to something close to these measurements the arms are going to be level like they should be. Now if you go with more drop the arms are going to point upward out from the center of the car. This changes the suspension geometry of the car which messes up handling characteristics. Then again if your not autoxing or tracking the car who cares.

I updated my review thread and will be posting my autox review shortly. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/isc-coilover-review-and-install-137467.html

170-180 mm is a good range.

Have those new instructions ready we can email them to you if you would like.

I have my rear set fairly low (1.5 finger gap) and do not have any clash with the preload settings

Can you email me a set Steve@rcdori.com

The ISC directions are quite lacking it seems.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

whew finally got these on. From limited driving so far, they feel pretty good, but I've only put about 20 miles on them, if that. For those who have these installed and have added the teflon bushings, are you still getting any noises from them? 90% of the time mine are silent, but when going over rough roads and speed bumps, I get what seems like the springy, metallic noises people were talking about. I did not have them installed without the bushings, so I have nothing to compare this noise with... opinions?

That is pretty normal with an aftermarket coilover IMO, that is just the sound of the exposed coil as you compress it quicky on something large like a speed bump or large pothole, it is not hurting anything. Prior to the bushing install some customers were getting the "spring noise" often. I have not seen any issues with the GC8 and WRX coilovers, but for some reason some ( I would say about 20%) of the LGT and 08+ WRX guys were getting noise, and a few were not ok with it... so just to be safe all coilovers now come with the bushings. the bushings def did the trick!

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions regarding dialing them in or anything like that.

Enjoy your new coilovers!

Has anyone tried to pull the pillowball tops and use different tophats on the ISC coilovers? I see the KW coilovers can use Spec-B tophats, just wondering if we have similar options on these.

I think that would eliminate all of the noise issues.

Archived