LegacyGT.com

isc coilovers

blackinches

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
I finally got around to putting the spacers on the coilovers and it greatly reduced the noise. At first the front coilover still popped bad but after the spring settled in it stopped making noise. Now I only hear a pop on a rare occasion when turning going into a sharp inclined driveway.

Thanks for the info.

ISC is offering some thrust bearing kits which are going to be available as an upgrade for people who want even better steering responce and a quieter ride. These will be here in a few weeks, we have tested them and they work great. Coilover behaves even better than before!

Going to go for around 55.00

Thanks!

I went to GTTuner for my stage 2 install and he figured out why my coilovers were noisy. The pillowball style coilovers have the "ball" inside a cup. In that cup it is suppose to be greased up. If the ball is dry, it causes friction and makes the spring move inside the coilover which causes the popping. The way he tested it out was put some lubricant (i forget the name on top of my head, but it was stronger than wd-40 and pb blaster). he sprayed into the ring below the top nut. and i started moving the wheel side to side and voila, no sound. I'd say the coilover wasn't lubricated with grease enough. Any thoughts AJW? or anyone else for that matter? Design flaw?

I went to GTTuner for my stage 2 install and he figured out why my coilovers were noisy. The pillowball style coilovers have the "ball" inside a cup. In that cup it is suppose to be greased up. If the ball is dry, it causes friction and makes the spring move inside the coilover which causes the popping. The way he tested it out was put some lubricant (i forget the name on top of my head, but it was stronger than wd-40 and pb blaster). he sprayed into the ring below the top nut. and i started moving the wheel side to side and voila, no sound. I'd say the coilover wasn't lubricated with grease enough. Any thoughts AJW? or anyone else for that matter? Design flaw?

Thats interesting with the lubrication.

We will be getting some thrust bearing kits in soon as well for people who are looking for even better steering feel, etc..

How are they performing for you?

Thats interesting with the lubrication.

We will be getting some thrust bearing kits in soon as well for people who are looking for even better steering feel, etc..

How are they performing for you?

Is the thrust bearing kit suppose to be located where the "ball" is so it can move freely? Funny thing is, the spring popping/clicking noise comes after i've driven for a while. But sorta tolerable I guess. might just buy more lube? :confused:

I am having one issue. the left rear coilover is acting weird. the rear coilovers were set at the same height but the left rear was sitting lower. I had GTTuner raise it a 1/4 inch and it's still sagging compared to the untouched ight rear. Would you be able to know the cause?

I've gotten some wider/taller tires 235/45/17 so I've stiffen up the suspension a bit to not cause rubbing. so far it's an ok ride.

I personally think they make the difference. As I explained to AJ over the phone, the ISCs give a great ride for a GREAT PRICE. Great price is the key phrase. I am willing to deal with a LITTLE noise to get a cheaper option that blends reliability and good ride. ISCs do that. My problem is that the spring binding noise was too much noise without the bearing upgrade... just way too much for me. I think this is why some members have gotten rid of them for another brand.

I am delighted to say that, with the thrust bearing installed, these coilovers are absolutely silent. They ride amazing and respond incredibly. I can't fathom using a different coilover to be honest - I could not justify double the money for something that essentially does the same thing. Plus... they kinda match the whole brembo gold thing I got going on in the wheel well. Obv. not exact match but damn close =)

Anyways, I had my doubts after the initial install - I have none now. Plus, I had mine in and out in like 20 minutes per side. Eeezy Breeezy.

I'm not sure what install process the thrust bearings entail but do i have to take out the coilovers and have to get another alignment? or can these be installed while the coilovers are on the car...?

Yes, it would be best to get an alignment. I got mine close because I marked everything - I will get an alignment soon though. Struts come all the way out. If anyone wants me to do it with them in my driveway, we can work something out. JaeGT, if you want to go for a ride sometime and see what I'm talking about, i'm game. I've got to get solid endlinks first though as my stock endlinks clunk :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andrew and others running the ISC's. I got a couple questions.

I'm wondering if something is up with my coils or my actual suspension on my 09 LGT. My passenger rear side sits about 3/4-1" higher then the driver side rear. Both sides are set to the same. Lower coil mount mount which you slide the bolt into threaded all the way down to it stops on the threaded shock body. Thread collar/ jam nut all the way down and tightened onto the lower mount. No preload but hard to spin spring. Each side from base of upper mount to lower lock collar is 7-1/8" on drivers side and 7-7/16 on passenger side. I don't see how the extra 1/8" can make the passenger sit so much higher then the drivers side.

Any inputs on whats up?

I'd rather not raise the drivers side up to match the passenger side since what I wanted in the first place from coils is to remove the wheel gap and the drivers side is exactly what I wanted

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• 1 month later...

shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

We have been running the thrust bearing kits for 2 months now on one of the LGT's (08 spec b) and 0 noise. Not one little squeek, which is good for an aftermarket coilover :)

We will be getting about 25 sets on tuesday, so if anyone needs any please PM.

Thank you

I personally think they make the difference. As I explained to AJ over the phone, the ISCs give a great ride for a GREAT PRICE. Great price is the key phrase. I am willing to deal with a LITTLE noise to get a cheaper option that blends reliability and good ride. ISCs do that. My problem is that the spring binding noise was too much noise without the bearing upgrade... just way too much for me. I think this is why some members have gotten rid of them for another brand.

I am delighted to say that, with the thrust bearing installed, these coilovers are absolutely silent. They ride amazing and respond incredibly. I can't fathom using a different coilover to be honest - I could not justify double the money for something that essentially does the same thing. Plus... they kinda match the whole brembo gold thing I got going on in the wheel well. Obv. not exact match but damn close =)

Anyways, I had my doubts after the initial install - I have none now. Plus, I had mine in and out in like 20 minutes per side. Eeezy Breeezy.

I agree, I am running these on my 07 lgt and love them (street sport). I have run Tein basics and BC's in the past as well. I do not run the thrust bearing kit on the 07, but our 08 Spec B does and they work great also. My ISC's on the 07 make 0 noise, so I didnt bother puting them on, you do see a increase in steering response with the thrust bearing kits though over a coilover (ISC or other brand) that does not have them on...

For the money you can not go wrong IMO, if you have your doubts spend the 55.00 on the thrust kit... and you will still have a great coilover with tons of features for under 1,000.00:)

To answer a couple questions here.

1. They are a little noisy without the thrust bearing kit. About the same as if you upgraded springs alone.

2. With the trust bearing kit they are absolutely silent.

3. User friendly and easy to install in a day in your driveway or garage.

That being said. I've had ISC coilovers for about 6 months now and have put 30,000 plus miles on them. I commute to Boston/Providence daily. They have seen every type of road. At first I did not have the thrust bearing kit. Yes they were a little noisy at low speeds. IE parking lots and cutting the wheel all the way. As soon the thrust bearing kit went in they were silent. Ive had springs and can tell you save up some more cash and fork it over for some ISC coilovers. Couldn't be happier money well spent.

Joe

Archived