LegacyGT.com

isc coilovers

blackinches

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you give tell my how you have your camber bolt in. Mine has the nut and washer toward the front of the car. Something isn't quit right, since I can't get any adjustment out of the stock bolt. I don't know if the bracket bolts are too large and not oval or I need a different camber bolt, or put the washer on a different side.

Edit, I checked the rebuild manual that I have and it shows the washer on the nut side, so that should be right. But the manual says that the stock bolt doesn't have much adjust ability. Less that .5 degrees.

Can you give tell my how you have your camber bolt in. Mine has the nut and washer toward the front of the car. Something isn't quit right, since I can't get any adjustment out of the stock bolt. I don't know if the bracket bolts are too large and not oval or I need a different camber bolt, or put the washer on a different side.

Edit, I checked the rebuild manual that I have and it shows the washer on the nut side, so that should be right. But the manual says that the stock bolt doesn't have much adjust ability. Less that .5 degrees.

Mine is configured the same as yours. I didn't check my camber... or even look at it for that matter! :lol: I just makred my bolts and put them back in at the same degree as they came out. I'm probably going for an alignment this Friday.

Im not to worried about my camber right now ill get that all squared away when i get an alignment but it sounds like I set mine the same as you guys. Now im having that noise problem again from my front drivers side after I use my car for the day. I fixed mine again last night so it wasn't making an sound then I drove about 40 miles today and by the i pulled into my drive way it was making that noise again like I never did anything. WTF!

Im not to worried about my camber right now ill get that all squared away when i get an alignment but it sounds like I set mine the same as you guys. Now im having that noise problem again from my front drivers side after I use my car for the day. I fixed mine again last night so it wasn't making an sound then I drove about 40 miles today and by the i pulled into my drive way it was making that noise again like I never did anything. WTF!

My noises are very inconsistent, without touching a setting mine goes from somewhat noisy to sounding like someone's underneath my car with a hammer, banging on the springs. If I hit the same spot in the road 5 times at the same speed I won't always hear the same noises.... I've also developed a nice thunking noise when I go over moderate to large sized road imperfections.

I hear the most noise when I'm under 30mph, and turning. As long as I go straight on the highway these things are GREAT!! :lol::rolleyes:

My noises are very inconsistent, without touching a setting mine goes from somewhat noisy to sounding like someone's underneath my car with a hammer, banging on the springs. If I hit the same spot in the road 5 times at the same speed I won't always hear the same noises.... I've also developed a nice thunking noise when I go over moderate to large sized road imperfections.

I hear the most noise when I'm under 30mph, and turning. As long as I go straight on the highway these things are GREAT!! :lol::rolleyes:

So are these coilover junk or is this an adjustablity issue? Anyone purchased these and not get any clunking noises with them? As stated, I have a set on the way and so far this thread is not very encouraging.

So are these coilover junk or is this an adjustablity issue? Anyone purchased these and not get any clunking noises with them? As stated, I have a set on the way and so far this thread is not very encouraging.

If it were me, and I had these on the way, and had not opened the package, I'd be refusing the package and returning it to the sender for a refund. But that's just me... IMHO, there has to be better options out there in this price range. But I'm bitter at the moment. :lol:

Some seem to be content with theirs, I'm waiting for them to chime in on their preload settings, might help in curing my noise.

I can't say if further adjustments will cure the problem. What I can say is that I've tried different preload settings (variations from the manual and user settings) and different stiffness settings, and while I've been able to calm the noise down some, I have not cured it. I'm going to tinker again tomorrow after work, but I'm about at the end of my rope with these.

I'm wondering if the others don't have theirs adjusted quite right. When I set the ride height on mine I adjusted the spring collars to where they touched the spring, but I could still turn the spring by hand. I didn't put any pre-load on the spring at all. Granted I didn't go with a big drop on the car, just a little bit. But I was more concerned with handling over looks.

I only hear my spring pop when turning and going over bumps in driveways and into parking lots where the road is uneven and the wheels are turned at a good angle.

I don't hear my springs making any noise at all while driving. A couple of my friends said that is pretty normal for coilovers to make a little spring noise.

Edit, I haven't loosened the nut on mine either. Andrew from AJW told me they were going to have a bearing option, so that should help with noise.

Have any of you guys complaining about the spring noise had coilovers before? I've never had a set before, so I don't really know how much noise is normal. Especially from pillow ball mounts and no rubber top hats.

But like I said talking to some friends that have had coilovers before sat that, that is just the nature of coilovers to produce more noise.

I'm wondering if the others don't have theirs adjusted quite right. When I set the ride height on mine I adjusted the spring collars to where they touched the spring, but I could still turn the spring by hand. I didn't put any pre-load on the spring at all. Granted I didn't go with a big drop on the car, just a little bit. But I was more concerned with handling over looks.

I was told to run my preload at 180mm, which is 7". I started at 7 5/16", went up to 7 1/2", and back down to where I am now at 6 7/8". Still a ton of noise when the car's going slow and turning. I may try to back it off a little more, but I can't understand for the life of me, why you'd have to run these things floppy to keep them quiet. Seems like a band-aid to me.

I have about a 1" fender gap on mine all around, I wouldn't say it's an overly-aggressive drop, but it's not a 1/2" either.

I only hear my spring pop when turning and going over bumps in driveways and into parking lots where the road is uneven and the wheels are turned at a good angle.

Same here, but 99% of my driving is around town and on backroads, so it gets very annoying when you here your springs adjusting every 5 seconds. Makes the car sound cheap and feel unsafe. If I were doing mostly highway driving, my experience might be completely different... but I'm not highway driving...

A couple of my friends said that is pretty normal for coilovers to make a little spring noise.

I completely disagree. I've owned several sets of coilovers, the last being Tein Basics that never made a peep in over two years. Not a single boing, clunk, or even a whisper. On the opposite end of the quality spectrum I've had Ground Control sleeves mounted on Tokico struts... and even with the most primative of coilovers, still not a noise.

I realize these are budget coilovers, but it's all been done before. In my mind, there's no reason these can't be quiet.

Edit, I haven't loosened the nut on mine either. Andrew from AJW told me they were going to have a bearing option, so that should help with noise.

I sent Andrew an email last night expressing my concerns about these coilovers, and I haven't heard back from him. If there are options out there that would help with this issue, I'd love to hear about them. I'm really hoping that I can resolve this and be happy with these, but I'm losing faith.

Wonder if there are other contributing factors to my issue, like maybe shot LCA bushings or something. I'm reaching, but just because I want to get this fixed.

Have any of you guys complaining about the spring noise had coilovers before? I've never had a set before, so I don't really know how much noise is normal. Especially from pillow ball mounts and no rubber top hats.

But like I said talking to some friends that have had coilovers before sat that, that is just the nature of coilovers to produce more noise.

When I think of coilover noise, I think of more road noise and the vibrations you'd feel from road imperfections. That stuff I can understand due to the nature and construction of a coilover as compared to an OEM strut / spring. Pillow ball tops tend to have a different feel as compared to a rubber isolated top hat like the stockers...

But what I'm hearing is a very audible twisting / binding spring noise, not added NVH from the coilovers (although I'm getting that too). I can understand the added NVH, and I'm willing to accept that... but the BOING BOING BOING is just not working for me.

The Tein Basics use the upper rubber top hat correct? My friend has the Ground Control Coilover that I think you are talking about and his makes noise in the same conditions mine do. Like I said these are my first coilovers.

Your description of the spring noise is exactly how mine sound in my driveway and turning tight. I also heard that noise when I was trying to break the nut loose with a socket. I didn't have an allen wrench in the bolt to hold it so the whole shaft must have been turning and I heard the spring pop. So I never got my nut loose yet to see if I could get rid of that noise completely.

So my thoughts are that the spring is binding and then snapping loose and we hear that binding pop noise.

My buddy was also talking about how some companies use that bearing thing in the collar to reduce noise.

I wonder if just adding a rubber sleeve on the spring ends would help or not?

Hello guys,

I did not know this thread existed, sorry for the delayed response.

First off, thanks for all the input, I also have a set of these (street sport) on my LGT and I honestly do enjoy them very much. The ride is great I no longer fear highway potholes/bumps like I did with my lowering springs! We have sold a ton of gc8 and 02-07 wrx and have had no complaints on noise, but for some reason LGT and 08+ WRX are tight and some are having spring bind.

Loosening the top nut helps a lot and for the most part decreases the noise about 80% from what I have seen

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/001.jpg

For those who are more sound sensitive and want the coilover ride with more of a stock strut sound we are also working on something. I am currently sourcing some thrust bearing options. What this does is sits between the top of the spring perch and the spring and acts as another point of rotation for the coilover as it turns. Several coilover companies offer thrust bearing upgrades for a smoother and quieter ride. The ISC's are plenty smooth but as some can agree could be a bit quieter.

This is what they look like, pretty simple-

Here is my current stance, I may go a little lower tomorrow :)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/004.jpg

All in all these are a great bang for the buck, and they feel great, which is what they are supposed to do. I feel the noise can be addressed soon for those who are bothered by it... I am working with ISC on this, I am working solo on this, and now I will be working with you all on this as well, so if you have any idea's shoot me a PM.

take care,

Andrew

I'm getting a little closer to a noise free ride...

Last night I backed my preload down again, now down to 7 5/8". I can turn the spring by hand on the perch, but it's not loose by any means. Limited driving today was about 100% better than before, still getting a little noise though...

I think with Andrew's bushings, and coming down another 1/8" on the preload (if I have that much to move), and I'll be there. Hopefully.

:spin: Thing's are looking up!!

Also, wanted to give a quick thank you to Andrew at AJW Performance for chiming in and working to find a resolution to this issue. Great vendor, and he's been very patient and accommodating even with my constant badgering! :lol:

I just got mine about 5 minutes ago.

BTW, I finally loosened my top nuts and it stopped a lot of the noise that I had backing out my driveway. Hopefully I'll get to installing the bushings sometime soon.

Got mine yesterday, I'm going to install this weekend.

I still owe you a review Andrew, and I will def do so once I get the bushings installed and some seat time with them in place.

Anyone have photos of how the car sits after they put the coils on? I'm probably going to get a set in a couple weeks.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Please call or email me if you guys have any install questions, I have not written a formal install guide, but its pretty straight forward IMO (for the bushings which all units now come with installed already)

Windy Road,

Here is what it looked like when I first installed (with ISC Street Sports):

I have mine dialed in real nice now and I love how they handle. Did a 700+ Mile cruise a couple weeks ago on NH/ME/VT backroads and they were great.

There are more pics in this review thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972530

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/ISCSuspension020.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/ISCSuspension019.jpg

Then I went a little lower:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/004.jpg

Customer with a nice stance:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u160/awalla5150/firstpic.jpg

Archived