LegacyGT.com

Can't be... 2010 Legacy does poorly in family sedan comparision test

Depends on if you think Subaru can do no wrong, or not, I guess.

If you think that... any Subaru, 2010 Legacy GT most of all, is the best thing since sliced bread.

If you think otherwise, then there are several things to point out that aren't improvments, and incorrect base-line decisions.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I think there are plenty of people who would disagree with you.

You're buying a Subaru, not a Ferrari. Subarus are marketed for their winter performing AWD. For the extreme majority of people, it's the sole reason they choose the brand over a competitor.

After dropping $30K on a brand new car, you shouldn't be forced to spend another $500-1000 (Blizzak LM-60 are $190 each from TireRack + shipping + installation) for winter tires (and the added cost of swapping them on/off every season) because Subaru didn't put All Seasons on the car stock. Most sane people would not be happy about that.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

^ I think there are plenty of people who would disagree with you.

You're buying a Subaru, not a Ferrari. Subarus are marketed for their winter performing AWD. For the extreme majority of people, it's the sole reason they choose the brand over a competitor.

After dropping $30K on a brand new car, you shouldn't be forced to spend another $500-1000 (Blizzak LM-60 are $190 each from TireRack + shipping + installation) for winter tires (and the added cost of swapping them on/off every season) because Subaru didn't put All Seasons on the car stock. Most sane people would not be happy about that.

The reason is that all-season tires aren't really god at any season. Better to have two sets of wheels, one for summer driving and one for winter driving.

In any case - it's a good opportunity to rotate tires autumn and spring anyway - and check out the wheel area at the same time.

453747.png

Agreed, ehsnils.

I find it strange that US dealers does not deliver the car along with two sets of wheels.

All season wheels are superb for salted city roads, not much else.

No good for a harsh winter or a rainy summer day..

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/12/officially-official-acura-releases-canada-only-tl-a-spec/

Evidently Acura is as dense as Subaru is.

The new CANADA-ONLY A-spec TL SH-AWD, is shod with.... SUMMER TIRES.

AWD, Canada, and... tires that can't handle snow.

As Austin Powers would say.... "Riiiiiight.... Idiot.... yes."

They had better include two sets of wheels and tires in the price, and free service to bring the car in and swap them. Otherwise they should come with good all-season grand touring tires, and let the owner buy summer and winter tires, and another set of wheels, on their own schedule, instead of within the first year, before the first season change.

I don't disagree that two sets are better... and I DO that myself, and know that it is better. But most people don't do that sort of thing.

I agree that I was pretty pissed off when I found out it came with summer tires. I live in Colorado and I bought my car in Jan. (note: I bought this car because my kids rear facing child seat didnt fit right in the STi or the WRX the backspace room is very nice for kids.)

I went ahead and bought blizzaks for the car as I was going to buy summer rims anyway, and sold the factory tires. I use a set in the winter and a set in the summer anyway.

Dumb as shit to put summer tires on a AWD car in the middle of winter in Colorado.

However, I have driven tons of cars, this being my first subaru, and I can say that it is not a bad car at all, I have had only one issue with a gasket turning sideways on my TMIC, other than that its extremely good in the snow (with the right tires) and with my Stage 1 Pro Tune has gobs of usable power.

Every year these comparisons get more and more ridiculous. Anyone who buys a car based on one of these and not by driving them gets what they deserve.

2010 LGT.

I dont see what the fuss is all about, reviews like that are pretty biased and furthermore who gives a ****. If you like the car, take it for a test drive, buy it if you like it. If you dont like it, dont like it and never buy one. In the end, your not the one driving it.

And to the user who compared it to a hummer? Seriously...come on.

Considering that it's Subaru's second sportiest car (behind the STI), yes, it should come with summer rubber. (well, okay, duking it out for second with the WRX)

I do think there should be options though - we should be able to purchase it with either summer or all-season tires.

I think it's greatly beneficial to offer it standard with summer rubber so it can perform adquately in the auto mag tests. They usually get the vehicles with the default options, and if the default for the GT was all-season rubber, it would suffer in the handling tests compared to those that come standard with summer rubber.

Subaru made the right move here.

^ So you're saying the Legacy GT is more sporty and a higher performer than say...

the BMW 335?

Audi S4 = summer tires

C300 = performance all seasons disclaimed

Lower aspect-ratio tires and accompanying wheels provide substantially increased treadwear, increased tire noise

and reduced ride comfort. Serious wheel and tire damage may occur if the vehicle is operated on rough or damaged

road surfaces or upon encountering road debris or obstacles. These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions.

BMW 3 series = Since BMW gives you choices... where's the choice for non runflat tires? :confused:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Audi S4 = summer tires

C300 = performance all seasons disclaimed

BMW 3 series = Since BMW gives you choices... where's the choice for non runflat tires? :confused:

So you're comparing the Legacy GT to an S4 and C300? Really?

You said... "sporty cars need tires capable of the car's performance... period. " .. to defend the decision of summer tires on the Legacy GT.

The BMW 335 does not come with summer tires. So either your statement is wrong, period. Or you are saying that the 335 is not sporty, or less sporty than the Legacy GT. Otherwise, the Legacy GT could have come with all seasons as other higher performance, more sporty cars, do.

So you're comparing the Legacy GT to an S4 and C300? Really?

You said... "sporty cars need tires capable of the car's performance... period. " .. to defend the decision of summer tires on the Legacy GT.

The BMW 335 does not come with summer tires. So either your statement is wrong, period. Or you are saying that the 335 is not sporty, or less sporty than the Legacy GT. Otherwise, the Legacy GT could have come with all seasons as other higher performance, more sporty cars, do.

you were comparing the legacy to the 335i... what do you think the 335i compares to?

There aren't other cars like the legacy in its segment. Luxury brands can and do a lot more with offering choices... the legacy needs to come with summer tires. Why gimp your car in the summer and winter because you want to be cheap?:confused:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can see both sides. Personally I like having a tire optimized for summer performance and have zero issue swapping to a snow tire to get maximum winter performance. I'd have done the same even if I got the 3.6R with all-seasons. The whole point of me buying a Subaru over the dozens of 2WD sporty cars is that once the snow flies, it would be a monster in the snow. Why handicap it with crap tires?

On the other hand, the world is full of morons who know little more about cars other than what is needed to drive it. Those kind of people will get into trouble when they drive their LGT in the snow. But honestly, if you're that stupid, you deserve to end up in a ditch.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

A brand new car, especially an AWD sedan with mainstream intentions, should come off the lot ready for any condition, any owner. Maybe a sunshine-queen or track-ready 2-seat sports car could justify it. But that isn't what Legacy GT, or TL A-spec for that matter, are.

If you want better, more specialized equipment, that should be a dealer, or aftermarket option for you to pay for. As a choice. Summer tires on a winter-capable, even a winter-advantaged car, is forcing the issue to re-tire the car very shortly after driving off the lot.

There are plenty of decent high performance grand touring tires that are all-season rated, and can handle up to a couple of inches of snow, AND are more than capable of Legacy GT's performance level.

Don't kid yourself, the Legacy GT is a performance car, but it isn't going to overpower four good quality all season grand touring or high performance tires, just because they happen not to be dedicated summer rubber. Especially driving all four at once.

Summer tires may be less compromised, and that is why I run them... and would, have, and will continue suggest that any enthusiast who values capability and an extra safety margin, use two sets of tires, as the climate changes. That doesn't mean I expect everyone to do so, and as so many others are fond to remind, not everyone is an enthusiast who takes the impetus for that sort of thing.

It also doesn't mean that M&S rated tires, at least GOOD ones, are that much of a slouch to not be worthy of consideration. Don't confuse all M&S rated tires with crap. Some tires are crap and truly compromised to be cheap to manufacture, but that isn't a universal rule for all season capable tires.

you were comparing the legacy to the 335i... what do you think the 335i compares to?

There aren't other cars like the legacy in its segment. Luxury brands can and do a lot more with offering choices... the legacy needs to come with summer tires. Why gimp your car in the summer and winter because you want to be cheap?:confused:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dude. Pay attention. You said "sporty cars need tires capable of the car's performance... period."

The BMW 335 is leaps and bounds more sporty, and a much higher performer than the Legacy GT. It comes with All Season tires. So I'm gonna repeat what I said earlier since apparently you can't comprehend what is going on:

So either your statement is wrong, period. Or you are saying that the 335 is not sporty, or less sporty than the Legacy GT. Otherwise, the Legacy GT could have come with all seasons as other higher performance, more sporty cars, do.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dude. Pay attention. You said "sporty cars need tires capable of the car's performance... period."

The BMW 335 is leaps and bounds more sporty, and a much higher performer than the Legacy GT. It comes with All Season tires. So I'm gonna repeat what I said earlier since apparently you can't comprehend what is going on:

So either your statement is wrong, period. Or you are saying that the 335 is not sporty, or less sporty than the Legacy GT. Otherwise, the Legacy GT could have come with all seasons as other higher performance, more sporty cars, do.

Dude, pay attention. I said they need... whether or not they get them is another story. The 335i is sportier yet it's hampered by run flats. All of the 335i's direct competition has tires not meant for snow. Stop trying to extrapolate BS from your BS. Myopia at its finest.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

smfh.

yet the 335i comes with all seasons, as the c300, and countless other sport(ier) cars than the legacy... there's a reason for that.

stop living through the marketing eyes of subaru and realize what we're trying to say.

Archived