LegacyGT.com

Questions about Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (and other questions....)

RuhRoh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got these installed and balanced after dealing with bad rims, broken TPMS sensors,shipping delays, etc...

They are quiet on my car, mind you I was taking winters off.

They are also very comfortable, better than I expected for 225/40/18 compared to the 215/45/17 RE92, also just as comfortable as the winters that are 225/45/17.

UPDATE ON THE CONTINENTAL CONTIEXTREME DW

As I reported earlier in the thread, a salesman at the Tire Rack talked me out of the Hankooks, warning me that directional tires on a powerful all-wheel drive car must be rotated religiously to avoid uneven wear and becoming loud. I took a bit of a flyer and got the newly introduced Continental ContiExtreme DW instead (they are new enough that the Tire Rack doesn't have any survey results for them, but Conti's have a rep for being tuned toward the comfort side of the performance equation).

Well, I'm taking advantage of Continental's 60-day test drive and I'm returning them to the Tire Rack. They are just too damned loud! I'm getting a set of Bridgestone RE760s to replace them.

This is what's strange: I also have a set of the exact same tires in a different size and with a different load rating on my 2001 VW GTI and they work great there -- no complaints at all. Don't know if there is significantly more sound insulation in the VW, if the different load rating somehow makes a difference, or if I have a defective tire (or tires) on the Scooby.

Whatever it is, the tires are so loud it reminds me of when my rear wheel bearing went bad last summer. I was hoping that breaking them in a bit might help, but after a month of using them they have gotten no better. The last straw was last weekend taking my four-year-old daughter on a minor road trip with her portable DVD player, and she couldn't hear it even with the volume turned all the way up. This is my daily driver/roadtrip/familymobile so that's just no good.

SO -- I give mixed reviews to this tire. They are just fine on the GTI, but no good on the Legacy (again, assuming there's nothing wrong with them).

I've had those tires since last November for my DD set up.

Compare to ST115,595RS,595SS, they are much more softer.

For the road noise? I don't know. My car is too loud to hear tire noise.

Only negative is... If you don't clean(or scrub) side wall often, they turn brownish color.

Well, just had the Contis swapped out for a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports and drove them home -- about five miles. Can't review anything but the noise yet, but the difference there is enormous. These aren't whisper-quiet, i.e. there is a bit of a drone, but it no longer sounds like I have a wheel bearing (or bearings) going bad. Basically it's what I expected out of the Contis in the first place.

Still wondering if I had a bad tire or two, though, since no reviews I read complained of noise.

Oh well. Back to the Tire Rack they go!

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my F1 GS-D3 with the Ventus just over a week ago. The ride is much quieter and feels substantially more cushioned now. The Hankook does feels squishy and slow to react on turns though. Now, take into consideration that this is in comparison to my Goodyears which were down to the wear bars and were twice the price of the Hankooks to begin with. I still need to check the pressure to make sure the installer got it right, I like to run a few psi high.

Anyone have experience running Goodyear GSD-3s that could provide a comparison...these are the tires I have on right now, so I would be interested on how they compare to the Hankooks

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm checking them out too, albeit in 235/45-17 ($99!). The reviews are great and while I would love to go for the Dunlop Star Spec, realistically I would probably be happier trading off a little performance "feel" for a quieter ride. They are very highly rated for grip in the wet and dry, despite the soft feel, and the treadwear is decent given it's performance.

I would be splitting duty between these and Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds. They will be replacing my 225/40-18 Toyo T1Rs which were the best wet/dry grip tires I've ever owned but were very loud (not harsh feeling though).

Love them this past summer. Plan on buying again when this set needs replacing. Just be careful, if you too low the 235's will rub

I double-checked my size and I need 225/40/18 (to replace my old Kumho's). And my car is very low thanks for the heads up.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 2 months later...
i too am looking into these hankooks, 245/40/18. also looking at the bfgoodrich g-force t/a, continental extremecontact, and kuhmo ecsta xs. leaning more towards the hankooks but has anyone had experience with the kuhmos or bfgoodrich?

• 3 weeks later...
going off of user reviews on tire rack, the continentals although about $20 more per tire, they rated higher in every category. think i might go with them. could the money be better spent?

Are you talking about the ExtremeContact DW? They were about $44 more a tire for me when I looked, but I'm running 224/40/18.

I wanted to replace my Star Specs with something that would last longer. I really, really loved my Star Specs, but I could hardly get through the summer on one set. I looked at the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, BF Goodrich g-force T/A KDW 2, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport and the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

In the end I settled on the Hankooks and it was mostly because of price. The fact that they are nice and light also helped out a bit. I'll let you all know what I think of them once they're installed.

I went for the Conti Extremecontact DW. set of 4 $850 shipped w/ manufacturers warranty (whatever that means for tires) not a bad price considering i was going for the BfGoodrich g-force but are on national back order. anyone run summer wheels with no TPMS?

i was on the fence as far as the hankook v12evo k110, dunlop star specs , firestone wide oval indy500 , federal 595ss (until i read all the delam horror stories) & yokohama sdrives .

i went with the sdrives in the 92y extra load version vs the 88y version , i like stiff sidewalls & figured they would last a little longer & help prevent rim damage over potholes & such . if i wanted a super quiet , soft cushy ride i would have stayed w/ 17's on the michelin gt tires . these are the summer wheels & i chose to reap the benefits of the 18's & stay stiff . wet performance , longevity , reported mpg & price drove my decision . 225/40/18 mounted on enkei rp03 18x7.5

steering response is great , really great , grip is more than adequate , noise is low considering the class of tire although they do sing just a little bit when loaded in a corner , feedback/predictability is very good , impact harshness is a little high but so is the tire pressure , 39/37 . good lookin tire as well. been on them for 2.5k or so , if it turns out i am not happy in the end i will try the kooks but so far & my previous experiences w/ yokos tell me i will be pleased

i'm happy & so is the wife

blizzak lm25 high perf winters in 205/50/17 on stockers for snow duty .

re070 in 225/45/17 for serious abuse duty looking for another set of stockers or preferably light 17x7.5 , 8 or 8.5 rims to live on , when they are beat maybe wider more track biased dot rubber if i end up w/ aftermarket /wider rims. i think the yoko 18's MAY ride better than these for comparison .

• 3 weeks later...
I just put my Hankooks back on for a 2nd summer, and would still recommend them. Like the quietness and wet traction. Ride is about as harsh as the other brands I've used on my 18" wheels. I bought the 225/40/18 to be closest to the stock diameter, but if doing it over again I would get the 235 width as they look a little narrow for my rims and there's not enough of a rim guard on the tires.

Archived