LegacyGT.com

Fuel and oil additives

I am new to Subaru's so I want to make sure I don't do anything that will cause total uber destruction. My 2.5i has 57k miles and I dunno if any fuel cleaning has been done, or if any oil additives have been added to help with the cylinder walls and compression.

My question is... What products work best on Subaru engines? I want to run a tank of fuel treatment to clean the gunk out and run some oil additive to help protect the inners. Suggestions?

Techron fuel injector cleaner is a very good product but it costs a little more than the bargain brands. Advance Auto parts usually has a 2 for 1 12oz bottle(s) for $7.99. If you have Chevron gasoline in your area Techron is already added.

Techron is really good stuff and is the only product I would recomend for your fuel system. I would put valve/combustion chamber cleaner in there once every 6-8 months. Just buy a good brand name engine oil and you should not need any additives.

The best suggestion is not to waste your money on any of that stuff :)

Usually when someone asks this sort of thing, you can rest assured they will pour something in their car anyways and not pay attention to this sort of advice because they are already in the frame of mind something needs attention.

Opie, if it really makes you feel better then just run a can of good injector cleaner and that's that. Fuel flushes, additives, etc. are 100% not needed and can cause more harm than good.

For my 94 Legacy with a ton of miles a good Seafoam bottle did seem to make things a little smoother (such as idling, etc). When put through the PCV with a little throttle, plenty of smoke was coming out the exhaust (carbon buildup, correct?)

i dont know of newer gen cars needing this kinda treatment but i would suggest searching the forums for seafoam or any of the other brands mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...

I was using Arco AM/PM gas (I think its BP the supplier).

I went ahead and switched to Chevron and it comes with Techron just today...I've had the car only for 3 weeks plus now..only 3 fills I think so far, so it shouldn't be a huge deal on switching gas provider.

Its a bit pricier, but at least its cleaner and always good for my car.

Archived