LegacyGT.com

DBA 4000 rotors - 2 months....RUSTING!!!

spyguy

2 months ago, I purchased and installed 4 DBA 4000 rotors.

They were beautiful, braking improved dramaticallys (ss lines, fluid and hawk pads).

After a couple of weeks, I noticed a bit of rust on the discs, the outter lip, inside the slots, and the inner hat:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8282/img00594201003141734.jpg

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/3433/img00459201002141000.jpg

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4506/img00461201002141001.jpg

Does anyone else have this problem?

Or am I being too anal about normal rust? it seems that this is beyond normal rusting.

i've tried using a soft brush to clean the rotors as well, no help.

it almost seems as if the protective paint coating is peeling off too.

i've contacted fredbeansparts (where i purchased it from) to see if they can give me some insight. i'll keep you guys posted.

Perfectly normal. Yes, you get uncoated rotors or you don't paint their hats, and that's what you get over time.

I will say though that for fairly new rotors, those faces look awfully striated. Maybe it's just the Hawks.

dont get me wrong, the braking is great with this break set up (I believe fredbeans calls it stage 2 - ss lines, fluid, dba4000 rotors and hawk hps pads).

its just cosmetically, hurts to look at it, especially since the rest of the car is clean.

has anyone tried painting their hats? is it possible?

I used to throw on some paint every now and again on my rotors.. no biggie.. it'll either peel for fall off eventually anyways.. just makes me feel happy for that little while :)

I usually go for drilled "for show" since my slots always looked like crap because of it. The only time I had the slots was for my track car.. that burned up the rust in no time :)

what type of paint did you use?

also, did you spray the entire rotor and let some spirited driving take off the paint on the disc

OR

you used painters tape to tape off the area?

what type of paint did you use?

also, did you spray the entire rotor and let some spirited driving take off the paint on the disc

OR

you used painters tape to tape off the area?

Tape off the rotor surface and make sure paint doesn't get into the cooling vanes. You could sand down the hat and use a high temperature paint on the hat. brake cleaner will break down the coating so be careful of that

-Franz

High temp paint, and I used a cardboard from the box it came in (had a hole perfectly sized for it). You DO NOT want to paint the front surface of the rotors!! it's going to mess up your pads etc :)

I was told it doesn't matter what treatment is on the rotor, they all will eventually get worn off and rust just like the others... Premium just means better and thicker metal, the treatments will all wear off over time, although the premium will last longer because of the initial coat on the vanes and the edges of the rotor that see no real wear for a while.

I live in Los Angeles where it simply does NOT rain. It is NOT humid. If I leave my LGT to sit for a week or two the rotors look like that. The OEM rotors did. The DBA4000 do. If you only did your front rotors, try taking off the rear wheel and looking at your oem rotors. I bet they have the same rust.

EDIT : this thread is a non issue

I live in Los Angeles where it simply does NOT rain. It is NOT humid. If I leave my LGT to sit for a week or two the rotors look like that. The OEM rotors did. The DBA4000 do. If you only did your front rotors, try taking off the rear wheel and looking at your oem rotors. I bet they have the same rust.

EDIT : this thread is a non issue

I swapped all 4 to DBA4000.

i agree, non issue, just an eye sore since its bright orange, and my rotas show a lot of hat of the rotor.

I swapped all 4 to DBA4000.

i agree, non issue, just an eye sore since its bright orange, and my rotas show a lot of hat of the rotor.

x2 on the eye-sore. I agree completely but am not 100% on what to do about it long term other than not worry about it.

Archived