LegacyGT.com

WARNING: 06 WRX lip on an 05 LGT inside!

spartan

I didn't remove the bumper, just put the front end up on jack-stands. Hardest part was centering the piece so the gaps are equal...I also didn't cut the underbody. Most of the screws are in the bumper, not the cover. ( The one or two that are, I use pop-ins so I can remove them) I used a razor knife and a small coping saw to trim the ends. Then cut the cap off and reglued it using super glue. Sorry for no pics, can't seem to figure out how to post them ( If anybody knows how, HELP )

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't remove the bumper, just put the front end up on jack-stands. Hardest part was centering the piece so the gaps are equal...I also didn't cut the underbody. Most of the screws are in the bumper, not the cover. ( The one or two that are, I use pop-ins so I can remove them) I used a razor knife and a small coping saw to trim the ends. Then cut the cap off and reglued it using super glue. Sorry for no pics, can't seem to figure out how to post them ( If anybody knows how, HELP )

Use a free photo hosting website like http://www.photobucket.com and upload the photo from your computer to there. Then pull the IMG code that photobucket lists and copy and paste it into the post section here and your done.

I believe my front lip is delivered since a UPS truck came down my street, haven't looked yet.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Here are some quick cell phone pics. As for the installation, pretty simple: You'll have to drill new holes in the bumper since these holes will not line since it's a wrx/sti lip. Then you'll have to modify the plastic under cover to make room for the new screws you just installed and that's it. Best way to do it is by removing the bumper.

i wish mine looked like that...my came all warped and twisted even though it came in a full sized box :(

edit: just used a hair dryer to straighten the lip..pretty easy to work with

received the lip today. is the bottom half of the lip suppose to be only half as "deep" as the top?

"deep" meaning from the front of the lip going to the back (assuming its on the car)

received the lip today. is the bottom half of the lip suppose to be only half as "deep" as the top?

"deep" meaning from the front of the lip going to the back (assuming its on the car)

yes mine is like that, the bottom part of the lip has less material

Quick photo, my center section sits odd. Oh well I don't really care, its already scrapped up from side to side from just driving around today, and I'm stock ride height.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4691932619_2503ef199e_b.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Quick photo, my center section sits odd. Oh well I don't really care, its already scrapped up from side to side from just driving around today, and I'm stock ride height.

Did you cut anything off the center portion that tucks up in the bumper? I had to do that so it would fit properly. Just trying to figure out why yours is doing that.

Did you cut anything off the center portion that tucks up in the bumper? I had to do that so it would fit properly. Just trying to figure out why yours is doing that.

I did cut the center section on both sides a little, probably not enough. So the next time I take my bumper off which is pretty much anytime it needs to go on ramps now I'll take the lip off and see what I can do. Thats if it doesn't get ripped off before then :)

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

just installed the lip, took about 3hrs.

i removed the bumper since i dont have jack stands to raise the car.

i would say the hardest part was...removing the damn pop its from the car. i had another hand to help me hold the lip in place while i aligned it and drilled it to the bumper.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1669/dsc01397m.jpg

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3811/dsc01399vk.jpg

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3659/dsc01398xh.jpg

few pics after i finished, grill needs to be repainted, and i need to cap the ends of the lip...looks fine without it imo.

Quick question... has anyone seen an improvement of gas mileage at highway speeds since they put their lip on?
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

If anything gas mileage should decrease slightly. You are messing with the cars aerodynamics. Increasing the height of the high pressure bubble downward an inch. Just speculation. I doubt anyone has a wind tunnel. FWIW roof racks and wings lower mpgs.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I installed mine today, I removed the bumper and it took my about 2 hours including bumper removal and re-installation and cleanup. I can't imagine doing this without removing the bumper, it would have taken 5 times as long, even with a lift. At first I didn't even think the lip was even going to fit, it took me some coercing to get it on, but it looks great. I used 2 pairs of lock wrenches to hold the ends of the lip in place while i pre-drilled and put in the screws while my girlfriend watched and obviously had no thought of asking if I needed help. :lol:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs618.snc3/32511_624380245087_26610424_35793935_6895618_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs658.snc3/32511_624380265047_26610424_35793937_255149_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs618.snc3/32511_624380275027_26610424_35793939_1721769_n.jpg

If anything gas mileage should decrease slightly. You are messing with the cars aerodynamics. Increasing the height of the high pressure bubble downward an inch. Just speculation. I doubt anyone has a wind tunnel. FWIW roof racks and wings lower mpgs.

Down force I agree with, but I would think reducing the amount of air going under your chassis would be better to cut thru the air at higher speeds. (55plus)

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Has anyone used double-sided tape along with fastening hardware to fix the lip to the car?

I'm seeing some lips that don't line up, some that are wavy or lumpy looking. Part of the problem is that these lips are very cheaply made, they fold and flex with little to no effort. Like someone else posted, mine came all contorted even when packed in a full sized box. But it's thin plastic, and it was $70 shipped, so what the hell. I want something to protect my bumper, but it has to look right while doing so.

So I'm thinking that double-sided tape would hold the lip to the bumper and keep all the gaps closed and even, while the fasteners would keep the lip from falling off. I want it to look like OEM fitment when it's done, so I'm guessing it's going to take considerable work to get there.

My plan is to use the nice black 3M DS tape, like the stuff that comes on window / rain guards. It's $10 a roll at Autozone, I think it's worth a shot...

using double sided tape would definitely fix the minor gaps instead of going all out on screws. i used all the screws that came with the lip and could probably use 6-8 more.

i would say double sided tape, heat and mold the lip and screws would give the best fit.

using double sided tape would definitely fix the minor gaps instead of going all out on screws. i used all the screws that came with the lip and could probably use 6-8 more.

i would say double sided tape, heat and mold the lip and screws would give the best fit.

^agree

... and good choice on black M3 tape... white shows... don't ask how I know.

Archived