LegacyGT.com

WARNING: 06 WRX lip on an 05 LGT inside!

spartan

Down force I agree with, but I would think reducing the amount of air going under your chassis would be better to cut thru the air at higher speeds. (55plus)

I'm no expert, so I'm going to use very basic logic to explain this:

All the air needs to go somewhere. Air can go one of 5 ways. Above, below, left, right, and through (for cooling, which ends up going down). A lip should send more air above and through than below vs before the lip. Does this in turn push the nose of the car down a little? It should help a little bit. BUT does it help the car "cut through the air better?" My thought is no, because "cut better" means less resistance (my inference) and this lip adds more resistance. It should LOWER the invisible foggy line at which air is split above and below the vehicle (a very small amount) if that is what you mean.

FWIW this lip is basically just a tiny, flexible air splitter. I mention that because there is a lot of good reading on setting up and using air splitters (if you care that much). They are the useful versions of a lip, and I kind of want for no reason :lol:

http://www.speedzonemotorsports.com/images/P/STI_front-side.jpg

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, I'm not sure how much weight I'd put into that article. Fluid dynamics are tricky, especially with a shape like a car that is complex and operates at a wide variety of speeds. For example, a lot of people remove the tailgates on pickups in order to improve the aerodynamics, but it actually accomplishes the opposite. There is a cushion of air that forms when the tailgate is there that helps with the form drag. Remove the tailgate and it actually forms a bigger, drag-increasing vortex.

Lips could increase or decrease drag. It's too difficult to predict how they will affect things. I would count only on the aesthetic value of a lip, not on any downforce or improvements in airflow.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, care to share your install notes?

Do you have a little twisting in the middle section, or is that just shadowing from the pic? My lip almost seems too wide to fit the bumper (I have the same style lip and an 08 too), so I'm guessing I'm going to have to get creative.

Thanks. The only trimming I did was to the middle piece to fit the curves of the bumper. As for the middle section, it is the light however it is a little pushed down. Haven't had time to try and fix but not too worried b/c it looks good.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I ask (about the middle section) is like I mentioned, my lip seems about 2-3" wider than my bumper. My thought process was to clamp both ends of the lip (near the wheel well) but I think in doing this, the middle would buckle out slightly, which is where a heat gun might come in handy.

The lip just doesn't have a backbone... it's very flexible, which can be a blessing and a curse. It seems any slight fitment issue could stick out like a sore thumb, so I'm trying to do all of my homework. I may try to get mine on over the long weekend.

FYI if you let it step out just an 8th of an inch or maybe even a bit less so on either side fitment is much easier.

It's finished enough to do so and look like it belongs

Less bowing

Less need to trim (IMO)

You can see the step out i'm talking about in this pic. Also wouldn't recommend starting in the middle and working out as you're going to increase the 'bowing' as you put pressure on the sides... the centermark is going to want to move forward/backwards as you work around. Start at both ends then do the sides (you'll know what i'm talking about once you do it) and work towards the middle... so I did:

left corner

right corner

left back 3

right back 3

left front side

right front side

and middle last so I could tweak the front edge a bit with everything else secured.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4740144084_9f23d19724_b.jpg

i have an 07 not sure if this lip will fit or if there is alot of work to make it fit( where to cut if needed). if anyone has a write up would appreciate it.

i just got mine (thanks for all the info everyone!)...i have '07, and will try to install next week...i'll let you know what i find!

sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes...well, he eats you

i have an 07 not sure if this lip will fit or if there is alot of work to make it fit( where to cut if needed). if anyone has a write up would appreciate it.

unless I'm high there's no material change from 2005 until you hit 2008, correct me if I'm wrong?

Archived