LegacyGT.com

Uppipe's

quick4dr

As far as those Bosal UP's, they are basically the same as stock but without a cat, correct? Has the telescoping/flex that the stocker has? Seems like the best bet if so for longevity and performance.
"This is an adventure."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

you don't want to gut your up pipe. It's not worth the time and effort. It's made from Vin Diesel's stool. rock solid.

I did it once and never will again. The down pipe is easy though.

If it saves me $50 it's worth some effort. Where do I get one of those $30 pipes....

I like having the flex and the heat shields.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

You can find used STi up pipes fairly easy on the nasioc website. I found mine on here. If you want the pipe to look stock and have the heatshields, it's the way to go.

EGT sensor. Since you will no longer have a cat, the sensor isn't necessary. It warns you if your exhaust temp. gets too hot and could potentially break up the cat. you can buy a 2.2k resistor that you put into the sensor, essentially making it think it's still connected. The resistors are like a dollar for a pack of 4 (can't remember how many, it was a long time ago). You can buy them at radio shack. If you do a search, you can find more info on the resistor.

So if you put the resistor in the sensor plug, what do you do with the actual sensor on the uppipe? If you remove it, wouldn't there now be a hole in the side of the up?

This is the route I'm going as well, b/c I want to get rid of the cat in the up, but want it to appear stock (so I don't have to worry about visual smog inspections). If the EGT sensor is completely missing (or "looks" missing), it wouldn't work for me.

Thoughts and solutions appreciated :)

The main purpose for it being located on the up pipe, is to make sure the exhaust doesn't get hot enough to break up the cat, which would then go into your turbo...not good. It is also located there because it needs to be before the turbo, to be accurate. Since you no longer have a cat in your up pipe, it's not essential. I've had my STi up, with the resistor, on for about 30K miles.

wait i thought thats why companies did not put a bung for the egt was because it can break and get sucked into the turbo..

and these m2 units... are they the same ones that is listed as sti only.. and had a 02 bung on it?

say this one...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130406365105&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=ae58d1701280a0b58733be13ffe578d1&rvr_id=&ua=%3F*F%3F&itemid=130406365105

Archived