LegacyGT.com

Is getting 17" wheels a pointless upgrade?

Bolksey85

I'm keep getting flamed at work for wanting a set of aftermarket 17" wheels on a car that already has 17" wheels. These goobers keep telling me to go to an 18 but they refuse to listen to my reasoning of heavier wheels and more expensive tires. Apparently, me getting my RPF1's in 17x8 is pointless and a waste of $1k but I'm curious of some opinions on here. Anyone have their $.02 for this?:munch:

The consensus here seems to be 17's for acceleration, 18's for handling/cornering. Those who have to deal with extreme potholes tend to prefer 17's. It's your car, get what you want, not your friends.

Tell your moronic co-workers to pound it, and do what you want.

A set of lighter, wider, lower offset 17" wheels will look great on the LGT. They have for 5 years now on all the cars on this site that did it.

(gire has 18" aftermarket wheels.)

Get what you want, end of story.

This.

I know I'm in the minority on this, too, but I like having a little more tire and air between the rim and the road - no rubberbands here.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

You've seen my other wheels in person. Light weight 17x8 wheels, no need for a bigger rim in pa where our roads are not perfect.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

If going to an aftermarket 17" is a waste, just cause its not bigger (and heavier :rolleyes:), than so is every other visual mod that's ever been done. Headlight clearing/blackout, aftermarket tails, tint (ok that can reduce heat too), and aftermarket grills, would all be pointless if it wasn't for people liking how they look. F the work dildos, F them in the face. :p

All depends on what you are trying to upgrade... looks or performance? Smaller wheels are generally lighter, so from a performance standpoint, the 18" is the wrong way to go. From a purely looks standpoint, the bigger wheel might look better.

As others have said, it's your car... do what you want, and what makes you happy. Just know what you want to do (performance/looks), first :)

Would you get worse gas mileage with and 18" as opposed to a 17" rim? or does it all depend on the wheight of the rim?

Actually, it has the most to do with the outer diameter of the tire you mount on the wheel. With a bigger tire diameter you'll have better fuel economy but slower acceleration, although the diffences are going to be very slight. You can get 17" tires that have a bigger outer diameter than some 18" tires; it all depends on the aspect ratio (35, 40, 45 series) and width (225, 235,etc.)

Xenonk is The Oracle: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

Heavier wheels will negatively affect acceleration, braking, and ride comfort, but should not really have much effect on MPG.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived