LegacyGT.com

Who do you trust for repairs?

arnox

Already a great list of shops. It looks like the dealerships are generally not the place to go, ...not a surprise, but when the car is under warranty, it'd be good to know where to bring it.

I started this thread hoping that we could create a list that would always be up-to-date, sticky and current. I created a legacygt group on trustedones.com that will maintain that list for us automatically, ...I also entered a few shops to show you what it would look like. If you add yours, they'd show up in the list, organized by city, distance, rating, etc.

A sticky post, like "Trusted repair shops within 100 miles of Boston, MA"

...could then have links, like:

Boston, MA trusted shops (100 miles radius)

http://www.trustedones.com/tones/legacygt?location=boston_ma&radius=100

Google maps

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://www.trustedones.com/feeds/gearthinl/legacygt.kml%3Ftopic=cars%26wisdom=1%26location=boston_ma%26dst=100

Google Earth 3D

http://www.trustedones.com/feeds/gearthinl/legacygt.kml?topic=cars&wisdom=1&location=boston_ma&dst=100

RSS feed which you can integrate into your mail reader (Outlook or Mail on Macs) and new additions will automatically show up:

http://www.trustedones.com/tones/legacygt?location=boston_ma&radius=100&rss=1

I've been trying to get in touch with the admins (who are they, and how do I do that?), and see if they think that this would be useful. If not, ..I'll drop it :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for DSG - DENT Sport Garage

They did my tran rebuild + new act hd clutch _ light fly

Installed new timing belts water pump etc

Installed new HIDS

Great guys. The only place I'll bring my car.

+1 for F*ck Cityside Slimeballs Subaru dealership, rip off place.

They cut corners, deny valid warranty claims, and generally try to tell you loads of BS to cover their ass.

In the Greater Burlington, VT area, I can highly recommend Partner Tire & Service in Colchester, VT. I've dealt with them for close to 20 years and they've never put profit over customer service. On several occasions in the waiting area I've overheard them telling potential customers that the fix they want costs more than replacing the old beater being repaired.

+1 for DSG - DENT Sport Garage

They did my tran rebuild + new act hd clutch _ light fly

Installed new timing belts water pump etc

Installed new HIDS

Great guys. The only place I'll bring my car.

+1 for F*ck Cityside Slimeballs Subaru dealership, rip off place.

They cut corners, deny valid warranty claims, and generally try to tell you loads of BS to cover their ass.

What did they charge you for the HID install (just low beams or both low beams and fogs), and by anychance were they the DDM Apexconne Raptors?

habitual derail-er

Thank you for this thread. I've never had a car in for any significant work and it looks like today's my lucky day. Does DSG tend to get really backed up with work? They seem overwhelmingly popular on this board.

• 2 weeks later...
I work in Westford MA and live in Somerville MA, does anyone know of a good shop near one of those areas for an up pipe and DP install? Having a co-worker pick me up, so it has to be close. Unfortunately none of the shops in this thread are close enough. Thanks!

Thank you for this thread. I've never had a car in for any significant work and it looks like today's my lucky day. Does DSG tend to get really backed up with work? They seem overwhelmingly popular on this board.

Yes, they can be, just call and see what they say. If you have a few things you want done, try to get it all done at once. Also, if you have any questions about future mods or trying to decide between parts, have them ready when you bring the car in.

They give out honest advice from what they have seen on thousands of modified Subarus over the years. Really can help prevent PITA stuff, like cheap coilovers failing in a year, gauges, turbos, blahblah. Especially good for parts that may have changed quality over the years, they see all frequently enough, and enough people race the cars they prep, to give solid advice.

• 8 months later...

I had FastTrack install my BNR turbo after my stock VF40 died. Long story short, the BNR turbo blew on the dyno at Dent Sport because FastTrack did not remove the filter from the banjo bolt. I asked them to do so and they said they did. Dent Sport took it out and it was opaque. The good part of the story is that Scott at FastTrack is very honest and took the blame (and the financial hit) right away, no questions asked. I just don't trust that they would be able to do good work now, but if they mess up, you can be sure they aren't out to get you and will make things right. I'd just rather have it done right the first time around.

Does anyone know of a good Subaru guru in Boston? I live in JP along with about one meeeelion other Subaru owners, there HAS to be one closer than Norwood.

haha the post right above yours is recommending them. i went there for a dyno tune for my stage 2 setup, they do good work. //
Ditto, they did my DP and tune.

We use Peabody Sunoco for regular maintenance. They changed the head gaskets on our 97 OBW, and have done clutches and other work on WRX.

We use DentSport for alignment, and other tire and suspension stuff.

I've had oil changes and other maintenance done at Manchester Subaru, without any problem. They changed the engine on my WRX.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Does anyone know of a good Subaru guru in Boston? I live in JP along with about one meeeelion other Subaru owners, there HAS to be one closer than Norwood.

Norwood is twelve miles away/30 minute drive... Gonna be tough to beat that at least in terms of an actual shop.

To follow-up on my older post... They are a solid bunch of folks with real knowledge of parts, especially from the performance perspective and what use you require.

They will recommend OEM in situations where OEM is better than performance aftermarket options for say a daily driver, and as I mentioned above, have clients that race Subarus, so if stuff breaks, they know about it.

With that said no matter who you go with, get involved, check the work, and ask questions.

I'm in the Hartford area as well and looking for a trustworthy shop, anyone ever tried these guys?

http://www.eastcoastswappers.com/index.php

I've been there quite a bit. After GTTuner installed my DP and gutted my UP I had Paul dyno tune me and have been very happy with the results. They have a huge shop and do anything from mount/balance tires to full race builds. They have made their name doing STI swaps, widebody and right-hand drive conversions etc. Paul does the tuning, Seth, Sean and Ryan do great work and Ryan is a fellow LGT owner with an amazing 2nd gen. Great bunch of guys and great work.

GTTuner is a great guy too and very fair in his pricing but if you are in the Hartford area and want a local shop, check them out.

You might also want to check out Subimods in East Hartford. They are a vendor here. Small shop but they do great work too. Actually, Sean works at both places and there isn't anything he can't do. He'll build you a drag car if you want.

F&S Automotive and performance in Sutton MA 508 865 9900

Just had a stage 1 clutch fitted by Theo at F&S. Very happy with the work Theo has done and he is very well priced for an hourly rate, and he is a great bloke to deal with. i will be using Theo from now on.

• 4 weeks later...

I trust only myself :) I can do most things minus mounting tires on rims or auto trans flushes, or alignments at home. I havn't done alot of maintenance on my LGT yet (yet) but as a VW tech i can do just about anything at work. (t-belts are like cutting butter w/ a warm knife :) )

At home i charge $30 an hour. Obviously winter isnt the most opportune climate to work outside... but I wont say no to any work.

Archived