LegacyGT.com

Wiper Defrost Question

Canada here too, and mine works great for melting ice on the wipers and stopping the streaks that happen when part of the wiper is iced. It also turns the mirror heaters as mentioned.

Does anyone know if there's any way to make these and the rear window defrost turn on when using the dealer installed remote start?

Steve C.

2009 Legacy 2.5i Wagon

Touring Package

Satin White Pearl

My thread got hijacked..

but after I slept on it I think I know the answer...too dark outside for me to confirm....but I woke up knowing exactly what is wrong I think.

someone replaced the windshield w/ a non-oem windshield w/out the element installed in the glass.

Wish someone had a service manual that could post...there must be a plug of some sort that gets disconnected when they replace the wshield...wonder where that is located...

If you don't have the element why do you need to know the location ?

I had mine replaced last summer and made sure I told them the windshield had the heater. I thought all these cars had windshield heaters since 05 ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you don't have the element why do you need to know the location ?

I had mine replaced last summer and made sure I told them the windshield had the heater. I thought all these cars had windshield heaters since 05 ?

Good question. If You do not see the orange heating element where the windshield wipers rest, then you have the option but not the right windshield.

Starting in 05, only Limited and LGTs came with the heated windshield defrosters. Its included in the all weather package

Yeah OP... you were hijacked... but to end one debate :rtfm: Pg 3-57

"

Remote control mirror switch

The outside mirror defogger shares the

button with rear window defogger.

The outside mirror defogger operates only

when the ignition switch is in the

"ON"

position."

As for the argument against using the front de-icer as a defogger.. why doesn't the back glass break if used as a rear defogger??? Seriously... I am curious something to do with the laminated front glass??

Finally from page 3-53:

"

The windshield wiper deicer automatically

stops operating if any one of the

following conditions occurs during continuous

operation.

The outside temperature becomes

41F (58C) or higher.

The vehicle speed remains at 9 mph

(15 km/h) or lower for 15 minutes.

The battery voltage decreases below

the permissible level.

"

I never looked which is why I didn't know it didn't have it...I dreamt last nite that I had the wrong wshield...and it turns out I'm right...no element. someone got cheap when they replaced their cracked wshield....

Next time I need one I'll get the right one.

I remember when I bought my 00 GT. I sent Subaru a nasty email asking them why in the sales burchure they show the GT Wagon sitting on the snow with skiers in the background, but you couldn't get it with the cold weather package. I guess they listen.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
Well on mine if you puch the button all the way and let go it won't turn on. But if you push it about 1/2 way it turns on. Does yours light up while you are pushing the button but just doesn't stay on?

Well on mine if you puch the button all the way and let go it won't turn on. But if you push it about 1/2 way it turns on. Does yours light up while you are pushing the button but just doesn't stay on?

Mine lights up as it clicks on. (and it stays on for 15 minutes......then the light goes out ) sounds like a faulty swich

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Mine lights up as it clicks on. (and it stays on for 15 minutes......then the light goes out ) sounds like a faulty swich

It was hard to tell if you were refeering to the OP's switch being faulty or yours being faulty.. I am sure you know you can change how long your defrost stays on through the options in your navi.

Again, not assuming you do not know, it was just unclear who's switch you were referring to (the OP switch probably works bc his windshield is the problem).

It was hard to tell if you were refeering to the OP's switch being faulty or yours being faulty.. I am sure you know you can change how long your defrost stays on through the options in your navi.

Again, not assuming you do not know, it was just unclear who's switch you were referring to (the OP switch probably works bc his windshield is the problem).

LOL :). Yeah...you're right ! I re-read my post and it's real ambiguous as to whose switch is faulty.

I didn't mean mine.....I meant the OP's. And I think a lot of our forum brothers & sisters could learn from how you

so carefully and diplomatically (sp?) made me aware of my ambiguity. Thank you ! :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

LOL :). Yeah...you're right ! I re-read my post and it's real ambiguous as to whose switch is faulty.

I didn't mean mine.....I meant the OP's. And I think a lot of our forum brothers & sisters could learn from how you

so carefully and diplomatically (sp?) made me aware of my ambiguity. Thank you ! :)

I think that too. I got flamed pretty hard when I first got on here so I try to be nice..Plus half the time I read things wrong anyways :spin:

• 4 weeks later...

Sad to say but today I washed the windshield for the first time...I know I know, but the weather has been nasty...

the orange element is there....so now I have no clue as to why it doesn't work...

I probly won't need it again this season...but I'm gonna see what is up eventually and I will post when I figure it out...

Archived