LegacyGT.com

Top Gear review of the Lexus LF-A

I'm not saying i particularly like this car or think the insane price is anywhere near reasonable, but its a good review and catchy video graphics

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxII5cwvsc]YouTube- Top Gear - Lexus LFA - BBC[/ame]

plus in true top gear style, its the only online footage i've seen so far where its actually powersliding instead of being driven properly on a racetrack

It's an engineering exersize, a 'look-what-we-can-build' project by Toyota.

Super exotic materials abound, and I can appreciate how technical the car is.

I'd rather have a small stable of 911's though, for the same money. But the LF-A customers will already have stables of Porsches, and other exotics already.

Edit- comments above written before I actually saw the vid posted. But my thoughts seem to be in line with their thoughts too. Good to see I'm not talking out of my ass- for once.

good move by lexus, it gives the brand a lot more depth and soul from just making boring luxury cars (maybe except for the ISF?)

it gives lexus that "halo car" that every manufacturer should always have

and as for the video, by far one of the best editing ive seen on top gear very creative gives the video a lot more appeal

Is it actually a supercar or a posser . Looks great from what I've seen

I'd say it is an actual supercar. Exclusive, going to be ultra rare, high price (They said 340,000 pounds so that would be over $400k in the US),use of exotic types of manufacturing (remember they scraped the aluminum body for a carbon fiber one), and Ferrari type performance. At that price however you could get a used Carrera GT and still have money left over. It does however give Toyota/Lexus a halo car that will bring people in the showrooms just to look at it.

i liked this whole episode of top gear. it was really and actually top gearish in comparison to the other episodes of the season.

the review was fantastic, good job hammond, but with such a hefty price tag. i will never be able to have one. i'm not particularly liking the front end though.

also, toyota really needs to start redeveloping sports cars again. supra, MR2/MR-S, celica, they were all gone before the end of the decade. hope this inspires the company. or rather, make the FT-HS concept car as well - not as the FT-86, but more like a supra. that was one of my favourite concept cars.

People will buy it. Lexus has already proven that they can sell a 6 figure car. I think that there will be buyers who will simply want it because no one else has it.

I think it looks and sounds great. May not be the be all and end all sports car, but I'd take one. No surprise that the Topgear slant on things is there.

In the U.S. this car is expected to cost $300k. 340 GBPs = $544,000 at todays rate of exchange.

If it was priced to be a Toyota Supra replacement (priced like a Nissan GTR) it would have been mightily fine. At half a million it is a money wasting engineering exercise from the company that could not win a race in Formula One and existed the sport with its tail between the legs. FAIL !

In my mind, it's an exercise in applied advanced technology that will have a trickle-down effect into later mass production vehicles - a more tangible application of F1 technologies so to speak. Soul? ...Meh. Ferrari has soul. An old Jag has soul. Any AM has soul... Lexus? it's a Lexus. Gotta agree w/Hammond on this point. Fantastic Vid, though.

- Allen.

The way I see it is them using some of the technonlogy they learned from F1 and sticking it into a street car. If the car proves to be semi reliabe the technology will trickle its way down to the lesser cars. As someone else already pointed out they sell out of them for the fact that no one else on the block has one. On top of the sticker price you unless Lexus/Toyota puts strict restrictions on it, dealers will mark them way the hell up. I just hope Toyota/Lexus doesn't take a page out of the VAG/Porsche book and only certain dealers can sell/service them. You wouldn't believe the cost involved with us being an R8 dealer or our sister store being a Carrera GT dealer.

True. It's not like they won't use this V10 in anything else. Perhaps an LS480?

retuned version of the V10 (presumably less peak hp and more tq) is already being planned for their eventual GS-F production car. Basically an M5/XF-R rival.

^..so what does that mean "retuned" - idle to 9K rmp in a lethargic 0.7sec? <chuckle>

I need to qualify my earlier statement. After first reading the Road & Track article on this car, and watching the TG video, there's no doubt in my mind that from an engineering, applications, and materials standpoint, this car will be one to benchmark and learn from for many other manufacturers. This car is quite an achievement for Lexus and the entire automotive scene. I think Lexus typifies the qualities of excellence, which can be observed not only in the cars they produce, but the after sales support they provide to their valued customers. I don't own a Lexus, and don't really aspire to at this point in my life, but appreciation and recognition is another matter.

What is Lexus to us scoobie guys anyway - 2nd cousin, twice removed or something?

- Allen.

^ i agree

i wish that toyota would produce this car in higher numbers and at a lower cost

i think it would be reasonable if they actauly created it in the 599 price range and had it compete against it

but too bad it's just a technical exercise

Interesting car, but far too much money for performance that is no better than other cars already on the market that cost less. Nevermind the ass raping say a 458 Italia gives the LF-A given performance for price, and frankly the 458 looks like a much nicer and far more interesting car.

Now the LF-A put into volume production for around the same $$$ as a LS600h would be a hot seller and a relative bargain.

458 may be doing just that...

but the 458, like the California, and 599 before it... are starting to look weird.

I really like the 430... the 458 is odd in comparison... the proportions, and the details, like the gills inboard of the headlights. Even if it is as aerodynamic as they say... it is odd looking.

The LF-A is so odd looking, it is ridiculous, too. All that tech, and they couldn't hire a styling designer to make the car look good?

I am looking forward to the carbon-fiber based McLaren MC4-12C (good grief that car needs a name...) to give Ferrari, and Toyota/Lexus and others a run for their money, and far cheaper than the LF-A.

Archived